Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm Chris. I've been around the Subaru world for the better part of 18 years. I used to be pretty active on some other Subaru forums, but life goes on and things change. Anyway, I recently picked up a 98 RS, and have been scouring the forum for ideas on what I'd like to do with the little coupe. I decided to try and keep a journal of this car while I own it to share with any of you that are interested. Hopefully I can come back and edit this post in the future to add a table of contents. That seems to be how it used to work in the past.

I'll start the content in the next post.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here’s my latest addition. A 1998 2.5 RS. It has roughly 160,000 miles on the odometer. The engine was replaced at around 70,000 miles with a refreshed 2.5l. It appears to be rust free and a good base to start a little build from.

Here are a couple of pictures of it the day I brought it home. It’s a little rough on the outside but it wouldn’t be any fun if everything was perfect from the start.
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza RS Sedan
23 Posts
It's a beauty! I'm new to posting but not new to Subaru and recently pulled the trigger on an 01 with some minor rust (really hoping its minor). What are your short/long term plans for it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's a beauty! I'm new to posting but not new to Subaru and recently pulled the trigger on an 01 with some minor rust (really hoping its minor). What are your short/long term plans for it?
Thanks! Short term, get the suspension sorted. It’s slammed on some springs I haven’t identified yet and I’m sure the struts are shot because of it. Also it could stand to have all the bushings, ball joints, tie rods replaced. They look to be all original. Long term, I’m not really sure. I need to pick a direction I’m going to take the body. Both fenders are toast from the front bumper taking too many hits on the road. The rear bumper is also some fiberglass hot mess. This makes it a good candidate for a 22b kit, but the OEM stuff is plastic and more durable. So not really sure, at this point.
Welcome. Nice lookin car. Looks like you're off to a solid start. Great lookin canine there next to your car!
Thank you. Lola, is also a little new around here. Like the car she was a little rough looking when we got her but she’s coming along well. She makes a good supervisor.
In to see where you take this.
Any immediate plans?
Suspension first, and tires. The tires have a 2012 date code so yeah, they’re not seeing any more street time.
that bumper stock?
No, it is not. I’m not even sure who made it. I might be able to tell when it comes off.
Nice pick up! Not a fan of the bumper but it looks pretty good body wise! Definitely do a swap in the future.
Ha thanks. I think that’s why I was able to snag it. Most people saw the bumper and looked the other way. I’m sure it will see boost at some point. I also have my 04 STi that I’ve owned since new, so I’m not sure if I’ll mess with a full RSTi swap or go a different path.
Not at all. It's an atrocity.
Hahaha. Indeed it is.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just a small update, no real progress yet. I had some time this weekend and the weather was nice so I pulled the car out to go over the interior and clean everything out.

Turns out the stock wing, hood scoop, and rocker moldings were in the trunk so that's a bonus.
Hood Road surface Motor vehicle Bumper Asphalt

This fake STi wing has got to go. Maybe I'll turn it into a shelf or something some day.

Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

I spent the rest of the day pulling the interior and making sure there were no sins hiding under the carpet. Some staining by the driver's foot well had me concerned that maybe there had been water inside the cabin at some point. Everything seems good though, just dirty. I got everything cleaned up and back in but ran out of light before I could take some photos of everything cleaned up.

Vehicle Speedometer Gear shift Car Steering part

Car Vehicle Window Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Vehicle Trunk Hood Car

One last photo, all tucked away and ready for some whiteline goodies to be delivered.

Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
00 RS cpe, 01 RS cpe, 05 3.0 R
212 Posts
Here’s my latest addition. A 1998 2.5 RS. It has roughly 160,000 miles on the odometer. The engine was replaced at around 70,000 miles with a refreshed 2.5l. It appears to be rust free and a good base to start a little build from.

Here are a couple of pictures of it the day I brought it home. It’s a little rough on the outside but it wouldn’t be any fun if everything was perfect from the start.
View attachment 88788 View attachment 88789

View attachment 88788 View attachment 88789
Like the car, love that dog

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I had a little time last night to get under the car and check things out a little closer. Looks like the car is on some H&R lowering springs, and what I can only assume are some worn out stock struts. If there were bump stops, they're long gone now.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Grey

Automotive tire Gesture Tints and shades Metal Water

As suspected the ball joints and tie rods are toast, fortunately I already have a whiteline roll center correction kit on the way.
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Crankset

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

I also found that there's a brand new fuel tank on the car. Not sure why, but it will need to be dropped and given some undercoating.

The car also has some aftermarket lateral links and a complement of worn out stock bushing across the rear too. Also have a full set of whilteline bushing on the way for the rear as well.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle brake Motor vehicle

I thought this was strange, almost looks as though the front lateral link mounts are tweaked. The bolt doesn't appear to be in line with the rear. I'll have to do some more poking around when the new parts arrive and everything starts coming apart.

Driver's side...
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Gas

Passenger side...
Automotive tire Bumper Gas Automotive wheel system Wood

At least I have a better idea of what I'm dealing with now.

If anyone has experience with these H&R springs let me know. From my searching is seems like they're not a good match for the stock struts.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
218 Posts
I used to run H&R sport springs. They wore out a set of AGX's and a set of stock springs. They were a bit too harsh for my taste as well. I replaced them with King OE height springs when I redid my suspension.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I used to run H&R sport springs. They wore out a set of AGX's and a set of stock springs. They were a bit too harsh for my taste as well. I replaced them with King OE height springs when I redid my suspension.
Thanks for the input. That’s interesting, I was considering going with AGX’s. Just from searching it seemed like quite a few people used to run the KYB/ H&R set up. I may have to rethink that approach. How long did your AGX’s last with the H&R springs? These springs seem to lower the car beyond the point of ideal. I know going this low on my GD actually hurt handling, seems like the GC would be the same.

I was also talking with Clint at TiC about swapping my old TiC SST coil overs from the GD onto the GC. The 7/5 springs on the coil overs would be a little stiff on the lighter GC, but they would work. My understanding is that all I would need would be different rear camber plates and they would bold right up. Only issue is that a good set of rear camber plates from Vorshlag costs more than a full set KYB struts.

I guess I’m going to have to settle on a direction with the GC and just stick with it.

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
2,022 Posts
I had H&R's with 04 STI struts, worked great. The stock STI springs were way stiffer, making the H&R's feel like a luxurious ride. They did handle good however.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts