Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1996 imp jdm ej20 NA dohc swap
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone!

Soon after getting my driver's license I started looking for my first reliable car. After looking at different cars, I kept on noticing subaru's around where I live so I started researching about them. Well, after settling on getting a impreza wagon the search began. One day I was looking through the Wheels and Deals (I think?) and came across a 1996 green 5 spd 2.2 impreza wagon for around $4,000 so I was like, we gotta go take a look at it!! I drove about 30 minutes west of where I live, I live in Coeur D A'lene, ID and the car was in Spokane, WA so took a test drive and knew this car was for me :clap:After working with my local bank I was able to get a loan for $3900 then I had to come up with the other $250 or so to cover the rest. The car had about 121,000 miles on it when I brought her home in March of 2004 :D

So, here is my 96 green impreza wagon:

Photo's from 2006 I believe.

It came with the stock 14's which were really light and factory roof racks.

Wanted to start a thread for my wagon. Will be updating soon with more photo's and mods!

Mod list:
Summer 2004, new kyb Gr2 struts with the same stock springs...
Replaced clutch with another stock one
Fall 2009, switched out the stock rubber brake hoses to some nice stainless steel ones with the clear coating. Definitely helped the brake pedal feel:D
April 2010, replaced stock axleback with a stock wrx axleback (painted with black high temperature paint)
April 2010, replaced stock wheels and tires with Enkei 17"gunmetal(polish lip) RSV's and 215/45R17 Maxxis MA V1 all season tires (awesome in the rain)
July 2010, switched from using Quaker State 10w30 -> Shell Rotella T6 5w40 (great oil)
August 2010?, purchased rs gold 5 spokes from someone on Nasioc :D
October 2010, replaced stock rotors and calipers with wrx calipers front and rear with rs rotors upfront, H-6 rear rotors and StopTech Street Performance pads (very nice pads) and fluid of course...lol!
October 2010, picked up a set of (4) winter i-pike studded tires in 205/50R16
May 2011, my friend Dan gave me his single port borla header as a wedding present, sounds awesome!! Update coming on the header!
June 11, 2011, picked up a sti titanium 5 spd shift knob from a local on nasioc, love it so far!!
June 13, 2011, bought (4) new Maxxis MA V1 215/45R17 tires. Toe somehow got out of place on passenger rear and on my last trip wore the tire down evenly but low enough to need a new one for safety reasons, so had to get 4 and will use the other 3 as spares:)
June 18, 2011, picked up some stock sway bars from a local guy who upgraded the bars on his 04 wrx wagon.
June 19, 2011, replaced the stock 13 mm rear sway with the larger 17 mm wrx wagon sway and I could tell a little bit of difference :)
June 28, 2001, just bought new ebay blacked out head lights + corners, then a new black RS grille, then a new black subaru stock badge, then blacked out side marker lights.
July 4, 2011, just bought a jdm green "i" badge for the new black rs grille I just purchased.
July 23, 2011, took the header off and sanded it down then painted it with the vht flat black high temperature header paint and it turned out great!!
August 20, 2011, replaced the stock rear lateral link bushings with brand new Whiteline bushings. Had to fabricate some stuff in order to press the bushings in the lateral links but they went in finally!!
August 25, 2011, picked up a 99 legacy ej25D short block from a local guy for $50! Hopefully going to do a 2.5/2.2 hybrid set up sometime in the future using the 2.2 heads from the 2.2 in my car.
September 14, 2001, replaced the driver's side rear bearing along with the seals. Nice and tight now and no noise..lol!
That is it for now:)

Attachments

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Update!

Because of only having the rs rotors upfront and I would really like the wrx front rotors, I am going to try and find some wrx front caliper brackets and then get some wrx rotors from the local Auto Zone here. I had painted the calipers and brackets black that are currently on the car but they need a touch up due to some leaking brake fluid on both driver's side front and rear calipers.... Will get some pictures of all four corners soon!!

Going to get a new set of the Maxxis MA V1 tires soon as I love the tires:) Was thinking some Falken 452's but need a tire that will work during the fall and early spring temperatures so sticking with the Maxxis tires for now.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^ Thanks man! I have lots coming up though, like a rs tranny with lgt gears and 4.11 rear end, some BC Racing coilovers, some nice delta 220 grind cams, port match intake and port and polish the heads, a 2.25" high flow cat section 1 cat only and a wrx mid pipe to round out the exhaust, a better intake, some 04 wrx wagon front and rear seats, then possibly a Yakima roof rack, a jdm obs wagon upper spoiler if I can find one...lol to name some stuff:D

·
Registered
99' Impreza wagon-red
658 Posts
Yahhhhhh Josh! good writeup so far. remember we can put a wrx wagon wing like mine on your wagon to if you cant find a JDM one. They are a bit easier to find. Actually my brother has one that he will probably sell you if you want it. He sold his wagon so he does not need it any more.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nice car but you paid too much for it dude
This car was in really good condition when I got it except for the alignment and something with the left front wheel/strut/a-arm. The engine purred liked a cat and ran really good so in my mind $3500 would of been better, but over all I got a good car and have some cool plans for it coming up. :D

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Wag
257 Posts
Yeah it looks nice. Honestly i picked mine up ( which is exact same as yours, 96 wag L, white, 5spd, exact same) but it had 178 thousand for only 1900 from a little old lady. what a deal becasue it runs like a monster and has no rust/nothing. p.s. what color interior? i have tan which is rare. some interior pics dude!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah it looks nice. Honestly i picked mine up ( which is exact same as yours, 96 wag L, white, 5spd, exact same) but it had 178 thousand for only 1900 from a little old lady. what a deal becasue it runs like a monster and has no rust/nothing. p.s. what color interior? i have tan which is rare. some interior pics dude!
Nice about the car. Yeah, the tan interior you don't see very often. There was a 95 impreza 1.8 green 2 dr sedan 5 spd that sold here locally last year and would of been an awesome swap but they wanted too much for it.....:crazy:
Any way, the interior is dark grey dash, black steering wheel, center console, grey seats and grey door cards and still with the stock floors mats, but need a new drivers side shortly. I did just install a sti titanium 5 spd shift knob and really like so I will get a picture of that soon along with the rest of the interior. It is going to be sunny here so definitely some pictures coming!! :D:D

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update!!

When I put the single port borla header on a little while ago, I was looking at the exhaust ports and some of the valves and on the drivers side I noticed that the valve seals/seats were leaking some oil as I have noticed some light smoke on start up at times.

So, how much would stock valve seals/seats cost to replace the worn ones in my 2.2?
The engine has a little over 186,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I got these nice triple chrome plated spline drive lug nuts off ebay for like $23 shipped since my other ones were done... I finally was able to put them on last night, but when I got to the driver's side front, I found a surprise.... Well, I had been watching the axle there because the outside boot was slowly tearing. When I took the wheel off the boot had torn 3/4 the way around and I was like...time to get a new or used axle! So, I was able to pick up a nice used one from Spalding in Spokane, WA and put it in today. Took a little while but got it in there and it works great so far...!! :D

Use anti-seize on any of the axle splines as it will make it sooo much easier to get them out the next time around :D

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Here's some pictures from the other night.

More in the next post.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Update!

I am going to be picking up a primared black 99 L hood soon from my friend Dan, then going to get some blacked out headlights and corners from ebay along with a new rs front grill and new subaru badge. I'll update with some pictures when I get them on the car!! :D

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update!!

Just bought a used but in excellent condition jdm green "i" badge to go with the new black rs grille! Not a huge update but one none the less:D

·
Registered
1997 Impreza Wag
257 Posts
Looks good man, just need to adjust the ride height, get some struts or somethen. I think itd look amazing with rs bumper, upper rear spoiler and some jdm roof rack bars

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks good man, just need to adjust the ride height, get some struts or somethen. I think itd look amazing with rs bumper, upper rear spoiler and some jdm roof rack bars
Yes, I plan on doing some BC br racing coilovers down the road so I can go back up to stock height for the winter here:) Yeah it is slowly coming together:D I am going to try and get a 97-99 L front bumper and do a retrofit fog lights in the middle portion of the bumper like my friend Dan. Now, for the upper spoiler, I have been looking at a jdm sti wagon spoiler but kind of hard to find one here in the states... Then, the roof rack bars, are there some photos of those on here somewhere???

1 - 20 of 54 Posts