Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

41 - 60 of 599 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
non-turbo cars like yours aren't uncool...
*bumping your ish*
Thanks dude.

I'm a naturally aspirated guy, but it seems like most here are converting. Or they say they are. Or they are mysteriously a fucking swap guru because they have read every thread in here about it and tell folks how much easier and cheaper it is.

I dig my car. Don't care how cool it is to others. The thread is here to document it. But that usually means it's hanging out in the back of the class with the other delinquents.

·
Registered
1998 2.5 RS, Brilliant Red
1,345 Posts
Well, i've got the double whammy... NA & automatic tranny.
I could go for the triple & do a 'Dukes of Hazzard' General Lee paint scheme
which would actually be pretty funny, considering...
See you in the back row, or behind the school for a smoke & a 40 !

·
Registered
MY00 2.5RS STM Coupe
115 Posts
Subscribed, we're headin in the same direction, too bad you're so far away or I'd say let's take em for a spin when we're both done.

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
See you in the back row, or behind the school for a smoke & a 40 !
I'm supposed to tell you that I can't be your friend anymore, as you are a bad influence on me.

Subscribed, we're headin in the same direction, too bad you're so far away or I'd say let's take em for a spin when we're both done.
Cool man. I drive a lot for work so it doesn't really seem that far. I'll be driving it to Colorado some day to see some buddies and hit the slopes. Good luck with the build, I'll look forward to seeing your progress.

wow great work so far! In for the info!
Thanks man, I appreciate it. Some of what might be perceived as info is my gut instinct drooling out. But I have also done a lot of homework, if there's anything you would like explanation for.

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
UPDATE: The flood. And paying penance to the Subaru gods.

I have been through a real flood before, so this was really nothing. Just enough to piss me off.

Still haven't put the caliper on the clutch disc and sent the measurements to Exedy. They said most of the time water won't hurt them but asked for pics and measurements.

As you can see I got it dry pretty fucking quick.

I usually keep my tools organized. Especially when working in space I don't own. All my tools went back into their case or a bag every night. Now, it's piles. Everything is in piles. A couple co workers started flinging boxes on a bench as the water was coming in and landed the box with motor/trans mounts right on the intake, scratching the shit out of the fresh paint. But I do appreciate the effort.

The power steering pump was submurged. I was thinking about filling it with oil and spinning it with air just to flush as much water out as I could. Then Mykul volunteered the pump off his old 251 and I couldn't pass up the offer. I'll still end up disassembling mine as I'm curious where they leak from. Thanks Mykul.

The girlfriend recommended we roll her outside to get some sun as the shop dried out. It was a great time to give her a quick wash anyway. That's when I realized the e-brake shoes were locked up tighter than a fish's asshole. Took an hour to get both sides disassembled, cleaned and rolling.

I was a cranky fucker after that. I started bitching about everything that had been going wrong with the car, the build and in general. I started pondering over each step. Then the machinist called while working on the valves and said he wanted two more intake valves as two of mine weren't looking so hot.

I went ballistic. Valves were the first thing I knew I needed so why couldn't we have inspected them all? This was in March. It's now June. One more fuck up and disappointment to add to the list of what was going wrong.

Then it hit me.

I was paying back to the Subaru gods.

Here I am fuckers, showing you I understand how lucky I have been in the past with Subaru's reliability and bullet proof nature.

I will pay my penance.

So give me all you got mother fuckers. I can take It.

I will spend as much time as I need to on this thing if I will re-earn the right to enjoy my car as I have in the past.

I don't give a fuck what it takes. I remember when I got a nail through the tread as we were loading the car on the flatbed in Maryland... what else you got?

Oh, the studs get mangled in between the block halves and we have to machine new ones... cake.

Sat in the shop long enough to lock the e-brake pads up... why the fuck not?

Destroyed one of the brand new pistons as new kids at machine shops do... Of course, why not.

"Oh yeah" conversation when I ask why there is an oil separator plate screw missing? All good.

More valves? Sure....

What else? Cause I'll take it. And Preston at Flatirons has my card number on fucking speed dial numero uno.

Mother fucker.

·
Registered
MY00 2.5RS STM Coupe
115 Posts
Keep your head up man, once this thing is done and back on the road you'll probably look back and laugh at all the mishaps along the way. Anyway, hit me up when you head to Colorado, depending on when you do I might just mob down that way for fun... got family in Utah and friends in Colorado Springs and Denver. That is, if my car is done by then... whenever then happens to be.

·
Registered
1998 2.5 RS, Brilliant Red
1,345 Posts
"I will spend as much time as I need to on this thing if I will re-earn the right to enjoy my car as I have in the past. "
& i wish you the best of luck in doing so.
At some point, when she's all back together & running again, this will be the
memory of struggle which makes the victory all the sweeter !

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Keep your head up man, once this thing is done and back on the road you'll probably look back and laugh at all the mishaps along the way.
i wish you the best of luck in doing so.
At some point, when she's all back together & running again, this will be the
memory of struggle which makes the victory all the sweeter !
Fuck yeah gents. Thanks. I always knew this was the case, but I was curious as to how much I could put up with including my overly time consuming job.
Appreciate the kind words.

·
ALL THE STI PARTS
01 RSTI w/07 EJ257, Brembos
1,813 Posts
Give 'em hell Jonny, only one that's going to stop you from doing this is you!

POST # 700

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Give 'em hell Jonny
Didn't mean to go all Braveheart, peptalk, climax of the war movie... but it sure did come out that way now that I go back and read it.

Thanks dude.

I'm a naturally aspirated guy, but it seems like most here are converting. Or they say they are. Or they are mysteriously a fucking swap guru because they have read every thread in here about it and tell folks how much easier and cheaper it is.
Want to go back and clarify, cause I didn't mean to sound like a dick. I was in that pissy mood i spoke of in the last update. I dig turbo swaps for one reason, and one reason alone: because I see the joy they bring the guys and gals who have poured the time, effort and cash into them. I have only seen it first hand once, with Buurmas bad ass hot rod, but have read a lot about them.

The planning, complexity and ingenuity intrigues me. And I have a lot of respect for the folks who pull it off on their own with help from friends. I also have a lot of respect for the cars themselves. Potent little powerplants and worth the effort if it's what you are after.

I'm just not a turbo guy, that's all. And a lot of the "fuck the NA build" shit I read seems insulting. It's "easier" and "cheaper" for some. It's more enjoyable for others. I get that. But I hate reading bullshit when people have asked about making improvements to a naturally aspirated powerplant about how it's "not worth it" and how a swap is the ONLY way to enjoy the car.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,852 Posts
denatured alcohol will take whatever out of the PS pump you had in there. water, oil, pump fluid.

also..i just learned from wondy...that our PS pumps don't use PS fluid. they use Dexron atf..

·
Registered
2000 BRP 3.3RS
1,073 Posts
Yeah, it's misleading to call it power steering fluid, it's essentially hydraulic fluid.

I'm just not a turbo guy, that's all. And a lot of the "fuck the NA build" shit I read seems insulting. It's "easier" and "cheaper" for some. It's more enjoyable for others. I get that. But I hate reading bullshit when people have asked about making improvements to a naturally aspirated powerplant about how it's "not worth it" and how a swap is the ONLY way to enjoy the car.
^this

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
excelent work sir. looks great so far
Thank you sir. Appreciate the kind words.

denatured alcohol will take whatever out of the PS pump you had in there. water, oil, pump fluid.

also..i just learned from wondy...that our PS pumps don't use PS fluid. they use Dexron atf..
That sounds like a great idea. Wonder if there is anything raw in there that should be coated after for rust proofing sake. I'll definitely give it a shot on my old and already leaking unit.

Yeah, it's misleading to call it power steering fluid, it's essentially hydraulic fluid.
Learned that one when carrying gallons of it for the Brighton. Leaked like a stuck pig until I put a half bottle of Lucas in it.

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
UPDATE: Shortblock assembly with a side of head flow work.

I got the shortblock parts back before the flood and luckily decided not to build the motor out where the car is. It was just too dirty. There are too many prying hands curious about what's going on. Too much liability to have an open motor laying around. On that note, I am very lucky I didn't have the motor out there when the water came in.

Here's the shit I'm dealing with cleaning. If the crank and rods went through this same BS... it would be torture.

This is my first time assembling a subaru shortblock. Not going to lie, I was a little freaked out about the block torquing around the crank. But it's a pretty easy little setup to work with. I kept telling myself that the second block half was just like a main cap with a lot of extra support and it all worked out fine.

By the way, I ended up putting this thing together on the spare bedroom floor. My girlfriend rules.

ACL race bearings. Seems like status quo in the Subaru community, and I like ACL in general.

The amazing woman even donated the perfect tool to spread the Fujibond. It's a makeup brush.

Originally I was trying to put the rotating assembly in the block before the sealer. I wanted, in my mind, to make sure it was perfect without worrying about dry time on the Fujibond. Eventually it was much easier to do it the way the FSM and everybody else says. Lesson learned.

I did have some trouble deciphering where the FSM wanted the fuji to end up in a couple specific places, but eventually ended up using common knowledge.... Stay the fuck away from oil and cover everything else.

Picture above also does a pretty good job of showing how the small ends of the rods were weight balanced. Don't think I documented that anywhere else.

FYI, my rental deal says: no dogs, cats, kids or engines.

I did end up with two heavy pistons. One of them was the destroyed and replaced one we talked about earlier.
Here's how the one heavy one was lightened up. Pretty common practice in lightening motors without a huge dish or giant valve reliefs.

Also provided a good smooth platform to drop some dye to the next guy.

Among the untouched pistons I noticed that the weight would be off maybe a half a gram. That weight was often made up by the weight in the wrist pin. Don't know if that's common practice in Subaru factory stuff, but I made sure that the piston "package" weight was good with rings installed.
Sorry for the fuzzy pic, my phone ended up taking an assembly lube bath.

One thing I finally figured out what that the easiest place to install the pistons and wrist pins wasn't at actual bottom dead center. I rotated the crank until the rod lined up perfect with whichever access hole I was working on, then ran the wrist pin in and took note of where it was inside the access hole, making it easier to line up the piston. No special tool needed. But a sharpie does fit in the wrist pin perfect to get them in and out.

Woot. Progress.
If there is any doubt in the fact that I am doing this in my apartment... my girlfriend folding laundry in the next room should be a dead giveaway.

Dropped 2 circlips. One of which required the piston to come back out in order to find. Changed pliers and it was all good. Decided it was much easier working with a safety net. You can also see here that the outside of the block still has some grime and stains on it. It's not dirty, it's in the aluminum, but I'm still not happy about it. More on that later when I go over what to expect from a machine shop.

Not sure if there is a specific placement everyone likes for the circlips, but I put them both "down" into the lower oiling channel for lubrication sake, as below.

That's how the block sits as of now, wrapped in a condom on the floor in my apartment, waiting on a set of heads.

And luckily those heads are finally coming along. We had another mishap with valves and needed to source a couple more intake valves. The good news was I had a couple spares to grind on to get some idea of what cuts would help the flow of the little guy.

That, of course, means a baseline on the flow bench.

Machine shop has a brand new PTS bench. So new it's not even skinned yet and their old printer won't work with the new laptop they have to use, so I was scribbling a lot.

I plain old could not believe this. I had never even read anything on Subaru flow numbers before, stock or not. But I never thought a port shaped and sized like these would flow so damn well. I'm also impressed they did so well without being hogged out too far. The intake sound above 250 cfm was smooth and sexy as fuck.

Here is the basic baseline we ended up with after running them a couple times at about a 15 degree air temp difference so we'll know where we go with some different cuts on the spare valves. These numbers are the bare head, no plenum on the "out" side of the head and at zero lash as well, for repeatability.

I'm back to being a happy camper. I have a lot of work to do in the next few weeks and won't have time to put much effort into the car. But I'm rejuvenated with the recent progress. Those flow numbers are better than aftermarket small block chevy heads with giant rectangular ports I have worked with.

41 - 60 of 599 Posts