Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 599 Posts

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Why did I like almost every post in this thread? Because I liked almost every post in this thread. Will I continue to like almost every post as this thread progresses? Well now that depends, will the thread go south like Jonny O's tensioner pulley or will it go north like the ball bearings that came out of his tensioner pulley?

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Almost bought some of those spacers, good to know, keep up the great work.
Don't get me wrong man. Quality pieces. I really hate to sound like I'm talking negatively about them. And I can't even tell you how the intake and head ports matched each other from the factory. So in most cases I would guess that these would make an improvement. I'm just crazy enough to spend more time and money to get it closer to my needs. It's the old school rodder in me.

They fit a ton of the non turbo motors, so there's a good possibility they will be a perfect port match for what you are trying to do. Check with a gasket... if the gasket is sized to the port... you want these. And I just happen to know a guy who will have a pair up for grabs shortly.

Why did I like almost every post in this thread? Because I liked almost every post in this thread. Will I continue to like almost every post as this thread progresses? Well now that depends, will the thread go south like Jonny O's tensioner pulley or will it go north like the ball bearings that came out of his tensioner pulley?
Well... thanks Bob. Glad someone is feeling the N/A love. Although I think you will be turning to the dark side shortly.

Can't believe you haven't said anything about the reference to see through panties...

Let me know if the thread starts to go South.

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Oh, I'll be the first to bitch about your southerly headed thread ;).
Btw, I like your hair, I haven't seen someone rock that dew in a while, I must say it's quite fitting for a gearhead!

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
UPDATE: Call me crazy. Conduction Killers-Part II

I couldn't help trying to get these spacers perfect, but it took some work. Never done anything like trying to grind a shape, so i went slow.

Dyed the shape of the head side port during a quick stop to the machine shop.

At that point I was going to hand them over, with the intake, to the port work guy. I didn't. And that was a fuck up.
I took them down to my dungeon shop where the coolest drill press known to man lives. I am addicted to old tools.

This was a mistake. That's the lesson of the day if you are going to try this. Don't cut anything unless it's on the head/intake. I drilled out what I thought was far from the actual edge of the port, but it wasn't. What I failed to realize was that the port has an angle to it. Hard to explain, but it will become apparent later on. I had to slide one of the spacers on the bolts to get some more meat into the middle of the port.

Then I lined the intake port with JDM tape. Hey, it seemed fitting and had a shiny tough surface, so i thought if i nicked it, I wouldn't hurt the port.

Three nights later, working on the spare bedroom floor with a drill, I had the intake side of the spacers close to the ports and found out that the JDM tape was two sided tape after all. That's probably what it would have said if i could read whatever language that is. "I'm two sided JDM tape, I will leave JDM jizz on your shiny metal intake douchebag."

Then they went back on the heads where i worked on them for about 3 hours on the floor of the machine shop while I watched progress on a lot of engine parts as mine sat in the corner. I am a wuss and didn't want to fuck up those beautiful ports so I held my finger against the wall and I moved toward it.

Back and forth from the intake to the head a few times and I had the edges of the spacer ports pretty fucking close to the head and the intake, and just had to trim down the "middle" meat of the spacer.

Back to drilling the holes out before.
The problem was that the port tapers and I ended up having to elongate the mounting holes and slide the whole thing over on one side.

It will work fine, but I shouldn't have done that. Here's a picture that may explain the issue.

See the "angle" or "slope" in the bottom part of the port? I drilled where there needed to be meat. The entire port angles from outside to inside, so only marking one side and drilling was the mistake.

This is where I am crazy. I probably have another 6 hours in these fucking things. A lot of nights of 30-40 minutes of work. But that's how I am I guess. That's what I enjoy when working on cars. Making it better. With my own tools, my own hands a little ingenuity and a lot of luck. But if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right.

Still have to smooth them out and permanently mark the position on the head and on the intake so I can line up the spacer who's mounting holes are not perfect anymore.

In other news, I got a sweet old Visteon radiator from "mnkyspycho" delivered today. Thanks dude. I knew it was going to need a little love, but it got pretty beat up in shipping. It was very well packed and double boxed, so I'm going to have to take it over to a rad shop and see if it is fixable and survives a pressure test. I guess that's what I get for trying to save a few bucks over the new flashy brands and saving the fab work in getting a universal to work.

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
UPDATE: The "one bolt" philosophy.

I posted a little bit about my "one bolt per day" philosophy in Mykuls build thread and decided to expand a little here. Here are the posts from his thread.

A greybeard once told me about the "one bolt a day" theory and I have been living by it. That's your goal. Turn one bolt per day no matter what else gets in the way.
This is very very good advice, thank you so much. Words to live by!
If there was a "very like" button I would've hit it gladly
The one bolt philosophy works if you stick to it. My car is 20 minutes away from my apartment right now, so I have the intake sitting on my floor while I work on porting some home brew spacers 10 minutes at a crack while the girlfriend is doing school work. When I'm on the road for work I take something productive to do. Printing service manual pages and highlighting torque specs was the last trip. Taking chunks of wiring to tape in a hotel room will be next weekend.
The fact is, I work a lot. Too much sometimes. I lose a lot of weekends traveling for work and the "normal" 9-5 turns into a 9-7 a lot of days when I'm not on the road. I'm very lucky to have a career built around passion, but it definitely leaves me tight when coming to a bunch of extra spending on the project of the moment.

As much as I would love to have a solid week to work on my car, even on the weeknights, it just isn't possible. On the same note, I would love the ability to buy all new fancy high dollar parts, but that's not happening either. So the "one bolt" philosophy has to be adapted to my travel needs and budget.

Here's the most recent example.
Prepping the intake for ceramic paint saved a ton of time once I got out there to paint it. Was much easier done sitting at a table watching a movie with the woman, then rushing once I was standing next to the car.
How hard is it to run bolts in the threads and tape off the holes? Not hard at all. But it probably saved 30 minutes of time pre-painting. And I guarantee I did better tape job taking my time, then if I did it once I was ready to paint.

I like the color of function.

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Hey there mr.premie.

Do you think a drill press with a carbide die grinding bit would work well for making a spacer like yours? I was just thinking about it today and I don't have the 10,000 for a manual 3axis mill. But I could do just about the same with a die grinder on my drill press.

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Dude. Take another look. I did it with a battery drill on the floor in my apartment, 1950's era drill press, a sharpie and a box cutter.

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
:lol:
I know you did it by hand, that's why I'm asking your advice ;).
Honestly not sure what you are asking me. Do I think you personally could do it? Sure. A lot of patience was all it took me. Skill set was probably more like wood working than wrenching, and I'm no good at that unless it involves a crowbar.

A bit and a drill would be all it would take. Just start with the pattern of the gasket, then work your way out to meet the port. My issue was that the port was at an angle, so I had to match that to be happy with it.

This build looks very nice. I love the PnP work, very skilled hand. I will keep an eye on this ;)

-Jamie
Thanks for the kind words. The port work wasn't me, but I'll be happy to put it to use. Your ideas of a reliable but torque minded build mimicked my hopes of what I wanted to do, that's why I was watching your build so close.

It will take a while after she's running, but I would like to design an intake much like Zerodrifts just as you were planning to do as well.

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Hey jonny I got a question for you.

What are the eyeball things with the threads on one end that go in between the 'jaws' of turnbuckles?

They have a stud on one end and an eye on the other that pivots at different angles. I need a few and can't think of their name.

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Looks like a "clevis rod end" Bob. Start there.
While you are looking, look up "heim joint". Same principal, little more sturdy.

This for the front splitter?
Yes it is! I was going to make a bracket that mimicked the jaw ends of the turnbuckle but I'd rather have something a little more clean looking.

Thank you!

I don't think it's a 'clevis rod end'

What I'm looking for resembles ^ that but with a pivoting joint pressed in the center.

*edit*
Heim joint is it!
Thanks Jonny!

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
UPDATE: Running out of shit to do.

I think the machinist has something going on. Family issues.... health issues... that's all I can figure. Every time I call or show up in the last few days I get a new person picking up the phone with no answers. I hate to wish those setbacks on anyone, but I sincerely hope he has some kind of excuse.

I dropped the thing off in late March before I went on the road to work for 16 days hoping to get it back on my return. As of June 8th, nothing.

There were some reasonable setbacks: parts, building torque plate, port and polish from 3rd party. But I'm about out of energy as far as waiting goes.

On that note, here are a couple old pics I dug up from the short time the car was running for inspiration.

Frosty morning.

Sudsy creampie watermelon shooter.

Back on track with progress, I have finished up a few more things.
As previously mentioned, I found a used visteon radiator and couldn't turn down the price. Unfortunately it got beat to fuck in shipping and needed some work.

As you can see, the end got punched in pretty good. Far enough to deform the whole row of fins and pop one row loose from the bottom tank.

I spent a night straightening the minor bent fins and dropped it off to the local rad shop. 65 bones got it cleaned and pressure tested. I paid to have the one row bent back and welded up. It hurt, but at least it will work. I'm not going to consider it a cost until the shipping company tells me to screw off on the insurance claim.

If you ever wonder what the toothpick in your swiss army knife is for, besides your teeth, it's to straighten radiator fins. Add this one to the list of shit you can do at the kitchen table.

After the intake and throttle body cured for a week I pulled them off the wires and gave them a look over. Unfortunately I forgot the ceramic rattle can paint needed to be baked to make it stable. Usually on a header that can happen on the car, but the intake would never see more than a couple hundred degrees under the hood.

It has been hot and sunny here, and I don't have access to a kiln, so I put the Brighton to good use. I fired her up with the heat cranked and ran a heat gun inside the cabin with the intake and throttle body inside. It was about 160 degrees in the cabin and I was hoping it would solidify the coating enough to keep it from getting torn up during install. That's when the girlfriend showed up.

If your girlfriend, who lives with you, ever says: "just bring it home and put it in the oven... we'll open the windows if it starts to stink" you know you have found the right woman.

In they go.

I was comfortable taking the throttle body to 250. The intake went to 400. The can, VHT flameproof by the way, called for up to 600. That's far too close to the melting point for aluminum for my comfort.

Lucky I took a lot of pics of the manifold before I disassembled. I couldn't remember where anything went.

It was very nice to put all of the cleaned and painted stuff back. Gives me inspiration when every fastener going back in is ready to go. Anyone know if the o-rings for the sensors in the intake are in the master rebuild kit? Mine looked OK, but may as well put new ones in if I have them.

Hopefully the next update will include some engine assembly. I'm hoping to get either the parts for the short block or the heads back this weekend, as I'm starting into another long stretch of being on the road for work.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
UPDATE: Damn.

I was making progress.
I had the shortblock pieces back. I was checking ring gaps, crank walk, bearing clearances and rod side clearances. Yes, it's a stock rebuild with oem parts but I like to know it's all spot-on.

It's a busy time of the year at work and I only have about 1 in 4 weekends off, so I'm in a crunch for time.

We had a bad storm move through. Funnel clouds within blocks of my office and apartment and a ton of rain real quick. Then I got a call from a co-worker who was at the shop where my car is, saying that the side-room where my car is in was flooded.

My heart sank. I have been through this before. My apartment and shop with a project car and a zillion tools were flooded with a few feet of water about a year ago. All those emotions came right back. It's a fucking helpless feeling to say the least, knowing the amount of work and money that can stand ahead of you.

I hung up the phone, grabbed my girlfriend and rolled out there. On the way I called him back and he said it was only a 4-5 inches of water, which was a huge relief. The bad part is that there wasn't any clear bench space where I was working so I had parts spread out on pallets and cardboard across the floor.

I haven’t been able to survey the damage yet. I did get everything dry and up on benches. Two things I am particularly pissed about are the new exedy clutch disc and the power steering pump. Both submerged for quite a while.
Car is ok. Only got the wheels dirty. Just pissed about the cleaned, labeled and new parts.
Here are some photos of the progress I made before the flood.

A handful of people have called me crazy for checking ring gap of OEM rings on OEM pistons. I think I'd be crazy not to.

Ended up moving them around, piston to piston to try to get all of the gaps on the same feeler and ended up finding the perfect combo. But damn, these cylinders go WAY out of round without a head on them.

Oh yeah. There's one piston missing from when the machine shop fubared one when lightening it. Machine shop owner covered the cost of overnighting another from Flatirons who had to get it from Portland Oregon, I believe.

Weight match an OEM shortblock? Free horsepower and an easy life on bearings.

First engine I have worked on that gave me access to the small end as I torqued the rod caps. I liked being able to take some stress off the bearings as I torqued them down. Probably took 6 steps to get to final torque. Used a soft clamp and some already untrusted feeler gauges to hold the rod.

21 - 40 of 599 Posts