Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

201 - 220 of 599 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
I would go from 'wishing i could make love to this thread' to 'finding a way to make love to this thread' :lol:
I think there is a recurring theme here. Maybe it was Mykul who said the same thing, which means sloppy seconds for you. I appreciate, as always, that you enjoy it Bob. I enjoy documenting it.
I may have to build myself a barbie catch can... i just like it so much, if only i knew which lines went where....
Do it dude. Piece of cake. Mine went after the crankcase vent before it goes up to the pcv valve.

No Balls. :jerkit:
I know you are kidding, but if turning a piece of handmade function into a piece of poser form makes me ball-less, then consider me so. I may have to start a ball-less club. Maybe we'll have t shirts and start a 12 step program on how to cope with not being as cool as the kids with part store tuner mods and stickers and blingy flashy shit.

If it comees from the block's breather nipples it goes to the can. Then vacuum on top or at the top, drain on the bottom. too easy.
I'm one of those guys who thinks the crankcase needs a fresh air in source. On a street car any way. Haven't we had this discussion before?

·
Registered
95 Impreza,
436 Posts
When i get closer to actually buildin one, i'll pm you, tons of info in this thread, car looks amazin. I'll take a shirt when you make em!

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Let me know when T-Shirts go on sale. Great idea on the catch-can either way.
I appreciate it.

When i get closer to actually buildin one, i'll pm you, tons of info in this thread, car looks amazin. I'll take a shirt when you make em!
Thanks. Hopefully the info helps someone. Even if it's the person who buys the car next... "Hey, is that a water bottle..... what the fuck?"

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #209 (Edited)
UPDATE: Thanks Buurma.

The last time Buurma was here we felt fucking great. We had a working car that seemed like it was going to live a long healthy life. That promoted the desire to take my RS out for a victory burnout. Unfortunately that isn't in my handbook under "healthy break in procedures."

So Buurma did it for me.

Buurma is a lot like me: clean and functional work. His car is bitchin'. His skills are on the opposite spectrum from mine. I like screwdrivers and carbeurators, he has become a pro at tuning his wrs-rs. Below you can see his victory "leave" using his laptop programmed 2-step.

Thanks again for all the help Buurma.

Here's a link to the journal for his hot rod.
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f145/t169409-buurmas-01-wrx.html

·
Registered
2001 Impreza GT
738 Posts
thanks for the support jonny-o!
w/o this guy i woulda been logical with my work rather than do something i love to do. so glad i took his advice i've never been happier about a job. ramen doesnt taste that bad anyway lol

·
Registered
2001 Impreza GT
738 Posts
it had some when i sold it to him! he's just a hater. bet if they were black he'd be ALL over em lol

post more pics jonny-o!!

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
I don't think so.. maybe?
Yes. At least twice. I strongly feel that's why you are chasing leaks around.. but honestly, it's another conversation for another day.

thanks for the support jonny-o!
You the man. Now let's squeak 40mpg out of my Brighton for your commute. 3 inch wide pizza cutter tires... strip it down a couple hundred lbs.... tape all the body gaps and build a long splitter nose and tail like a tank body salt car.....

This car badly needs some grounding wires... red ones. Badly.
;)
They are here. Somewhere. In a box in the trunk probably. And up for sale shortly.

That video made me go from 6 to midnight... Nice work gents.
I know the feeling man. Glad you enjoyed it.

·
Registered
2001 Coupe
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
UPDATE: Doing something I hate. And driving. And clearing off the camera.

I have been annoyed in the past. Reading through some great members journals and seeing post after post of things that are ordered, or shipped, or may be in consideration of being ordered or shipped.

But I understand why now. I'm giddy like a schoolgirl.

One of the first things I wanted to do with this car was get rid of the ridiculous watermelon cannon of a 3-inch catback. It's about as far from my style as one can get. Worst of all, filling the huge chamber after the cats with pressure really bogged the motor and the piece of shit droned like a mofo on the highway.

I had been on the hunt for a 2.5 inch stromung axleback and was going to make a midpipe, but those turbo models have been hard to come by. I was getting ready to bite the bullet, then a miracle happened.

I found an original scoobysport axleback for sale.

Talk about the holy grail for me. 2 1/2 inch, looks decent, should sound pretty good, old school.

I had a friend local to the seller pick it up (down near the richmond airport) and he's shipping it to me. Here's the teaser.

Don't ask me what I paid for it. Don't. Ok go ahead and ask.

I had been bugging Mykul to ship me his oem sti midpipe (2 1/2in as well). I finally persuaded him to find a box big enough to fit his big pipe into. There have got to be 20 jokes in that last sentence.

That should also be on the way shortly. Thanks Buzzcut.

I have a 2 1/2 cat eliminator pipe and am working on picking out a good high flow cat to weld in. I have been digging through the genetic makeup of different styles of cats, so that has my mind boggled a little. Want to get the best shot at not popping a code every 5 minutes. 3-way converter. Metal Subastrate or Monolithic element. That's about all I know besides pipe diameter and overall length.

Speaking of codes, I believe we left off with me needing a Denso o2 sensor and some driving miles. Well, I'm happy to report both have happened.
As soon as I popped the new sensor in she fired right up and the fuel trims actually dropped from static. The idle wandered around a little, but then settled in after about 5 minutes.

While that's loading, take a quick look here:

What don't i understand about this situation?

With the car running great, it was time to deal with the first rocker arm adjustment. I was really surprised at how easy it was. Coming from v motors where I usually adjust the valves while the motor is running, this wasn't so bad. Only took a second to find the loud one, but relashed them all. There definitely was some movement but luckily all of the rollers and lobes looked good.

Since then I have another couple hundred miles on it and she's running strong. I have popped a code that I can't pull. It doesn't clear itself either.
Due to the idle characteristics once it pops, I am leaning toward a po420. Understandable with the cams, flywheel and exhaust.

I know there is a good likelihood that the new exhaust setup will make this a pretty common trait of my new found performance, but I was hoping to clear it up for the short term until I figured out the exhaust puzzle.

The cat eliminator pipe I have is the Tseudo unit (I jumped on it once i found out it was 2 1/2 inch) and came with the "L" shaped o2 extension. I figured I could run that extension in the stock setup in the mean time.

Spent 30 minutes getting the car up and pulling down half of the heat shield. Then.

Mothe Fuc won't spin in last the flange. I thought about making it fit but figured it would be one more thing pushing me to finish the new exhaust.

The crush washer on the pressure line for the PS pump developed a leak. I ordered a new one with the o2 sensor and swapped it out. Pain in the dick trying to keep the fluid off everything. Decided to replace the return hose too.

I decided it was time to do something fun. Back with one of my Summit orders I splurged a little and got some non-rusty nuts.

Before.

After.

Everything below is just documentation. Just old shit off the camera.

Here's the nail that had been in the almost new Continental since it was yanked onto the flatbed. The car had been sitting on it all along without leaking, so I figured it was alright. I did take it to a couple tire shops to see if they would glue a patch on the inside that close tot he sidewall. They all told me to get bent. Hoping the fucker doesn't bubble out when it gets hot.

How I got the crank trigger pulley out of the Brighton. Mofo was stuck good. Tap a couple of the premade holes in the pulley and yank it out against the crank. Didn't take much pressure, just more than i could pull.

How I installed lateral link pushings (jesus bolt bushings) on the Brighton, on-car. I figured if I removed the arms as a whole everything under the ass of the car would need replaced.

Shift boot the woman worked up for me.

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
My crank case is vented to atmosphere.
I'll go back and read your journal and see where we discussed it for a re-fresher.

*edit*
Nice update, as always entertaining and informative!

·
Registered
1998 2.5 RS, Brilliant Red
1,345 Posts
So much to report... i was wondering where you'd gotten to, man.
Excellent news on many fronts, along with the usual small problems
and glitches.
Liking the exhaust, and it comes with those red urethane hangers too, nice.
And black nuts FTW, LOL !

·
Baby Sitter
1995 Red Bomber Impreza
2,228 Posts
scoobysport muffler, i love mine soooo much it has been on 3 different subarus that i've owned and is currently on my wrx.

i've had mine for probably 10 years now, paid way to much for it but its the best sounding exhaust next to the genome

and the red exhaust hangers were a limited run of kartboys about 10 years ago also, i dunno if they started to make them again or not

201 - 220 of 599 Posts