Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

161 - 180 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
Cheap Kitchens
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
After seeing crash test footage of the recaro seat I reconsidered having my daughter back there, or any person for that matter. I tried to use the recaro as a booster in the front seat but it is too wide to fit so I swapped carseats with my wife and the kiddo rides up front. The rollbar did add a noticeable amount of stiffness, noticeable in my ass bones. With the soft L suspension it kind of feels like a boat, as in the hull feels solid but it gets tossed around. It doesn't really feel like handling is improved much but I can feel bumps so much more, only handling difference I've really noticed is in the lift off oversteer being reduced. In conditions where it would instantly begin to rotate it eases into it and feels much less snappy coming back straight.

On with the update...

I got the rest of the decals I was looking for from subarubits, the windscreen banners are flat but they sell roof vane spoiler decals that are curved to fit so I tried it out

The fog decals are slightly smaller than OEM, I'm so done with trying to find the correct ones I don't even care anymore

I think I'm done with decals, at least everybody can tell it's a Subaru now

Didn't find much on this trip to pick n pull but I got a sweet exhaust tip

Commuting on 405 and 520 during all this construction took a toll on my new paint, rock chips galore

It was actually really difficult to capture the color difference between the rear glass and side glass, it's really easy to see in person though and I want to tint all the glass to make it look like it matches

I added my short shift lever originally from my Legacy along with kartboy shift stay bushings front and rear, I used a hybrid of Forester and Impreza parts which I didn't see the difference until I installed them

Side by side you can see the difference between Forester and Impreza, the shift stay is actually bent differently too to compensate for the body lift

While I had the plastics off I covered the radio and shifter trim with 3M 1080 wrap because it's not true rice until it has fake carbon

I'm not super thrilled about the look so I'm glad I didn't cover the center vents like the OEM carbon kit

·
Registered
1998 Outback Brilliant Red
36 Posts
couple shots from our mini meet at work.

thought i might as well add them here for you all to get more looks at his car

·
Registered
Cheap Kitchens
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
I think we all know who wins best in show at that meet

It's been a while since I talked about getting out the sound deadening but I finally stepped up

I got a little over 6lbs of dry ice and used a flat head screw driver and a hammer

The trunk didn't take long, I was letting the ice sit for a little until I started hearing a cracking sound then I moved it down the line

I've seen people break the ice up and spread it all over but I don't understand the reasoning with that unless you have a bunch of people helping

The deadening came off really easy, with a few raps of the hammer the flathead could just pick off huge sections but the excess sealant took a lot of freezing before it would harden

I was really on edge about the back window getting smashed into a million pieces so I didn't use the hammer and tapped ever so gently to get the shelf section

The ice block barely shrank so I continued up the passenger side

The tunnel is doubled up and that was really difficult to get even with a lot of time with the ice so I gave up and moved to the driver's side

Something happened to the stuff on the driver's side, it was all soft and came off easy with or without the ice so I ended up stopping there with the bag pretty full

Last thing I did was take off the carbon fiber wrap and put on a rallytech emblem that I've had for a while. I don't think even with all the sound deadening removed I could balance out the added weight of the roll bar but I'm not going to touch the stuff on the wheel wells or in the body panels, it's just too loud driving in the rain

·
Registered
Cheap Kitchens
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Since the rain has arrived the 195 tires are getting a little sketchy on wet roads, I can't really afford to get the prodrives refinished right now so I did the next best thing

I started using solvent on the center caps to see how well it worked and it took some time but got through the spraypaint eventually, only one of them is not broken but finding a replacement set for sale has been incredibly hard

I was a little worried that whoever painted them sanded them down and did it properly but I should have known better, solvent again on the first wheel and it took time but eventually got through

Next day I got some acetone and finished stripping the first wheel, put them up against the car for a comparison and I think it looks a million times better

The finish is a little tired and all of the wheels have rash but underneath the spraypaint there was a beautiful wheel

I think the comparison says it all, I can't imagine looking at these wheels after going to town with a black rattlecan and being proud of what I had done

They aren't perfect but covering up the rash by painting them black didn't make them look any better, I mean they really should regulate the sale of black spraypaint like they do with cold medicine

I tried a few different techniques but wiping them with a rag seemed to work the best, the inside corners were the most difficult to get so I loosened it there with a solvent brush first and made it much easier

On the last 2 wheels instead of getting the face first and the deeper parts after I just went around getting everything thoroughly and it spread out the detail work to where it wasn't so exhausting

So pretty, all the time spent and the acetone hallucinations were totally worth it

The wheel with a bend did have some trouble holding air but a little bead sealer and it holds tight, the only downside is there is way more road noise with 215's and with all the deadener taken out it is really noticeable now

·
Registered
gm2 coupe / gf4/ cb7 saloon
1,838 Posts
just read through the whole build thread. and boy am i a fan of how detailed you are about your build ,and it shows. jelly of your score on the P1 wheels. we dont have many subies in the yards here :/ ]. alot of the mods you have done i have also done on mines. and i have a sport bumper thats in the process of paint. haha i can see my build in yours. check out mine sometime and leave a comment or two.

·
Registered
Cheap Kitchens
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Sport bumper ftw, I found a replacement for my jacked up wheel but so far it hasn't leaked at all

Finally got around to doing my tint, the goal was to match the greenish side windows and the bronze back window

I went with bronze on the sides and had to choose between silver (left) carbon (middle) and bronze (right) it was hard to tell until I looked from inside and I chose to go with silver

Very happy with the match, silver ended up being the right choice

There is a slight color difference but the transparency is nearly identical

I wanted just to match the glass without changing the look of the car, don't know how successful I was on that front but I'm glad I took off the side window decals

Inside the difference is very hard to tell and it's quite a bit darker which will be nice at night for all the people driving around with hid kits in stock housings

The rear glass is more reflective but it brought out the bronze really well

Judged on it's own I think the back glass looks great, I don't know if all jdm glass is bronze but US glass is almost always either blue or green

I know it's a little ocd to be so worried about the glass matching perfectly but it was something that really bugged me so this is a huge mod for me

I took out the passenger seat and the harness bar so it would be easier on the install guys, gonna get the wife's car tinted next

·
Registered
Cheap Kitchens
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Eye spy with my little eye something in the back seat that looks to be neochrome.
That's just a weird reflection off the top of my karting helmet

Lots of subarus in northwest junkyards. WHAt car has the 25d computer in it?
Cars that have the 25D motor have the 25D computer lol, I got it out of a 99 legacy

The bent wheel I have is so bad that it can't be safely repaired so when I found an ad for 5 wheels I jumped on the chance to get a spare, the yellow paint is not coming off for anything but that just means I will get them powdercoated ...eventually

I decided to get bonnet struts on a whim and I'm super glad that I did, the install is a really simple process; you just remove the fender bolt that has the rubber stopper

and replace it with the supplied bolt and washer, I did this as the sun was setting so picture quality is not the finest

Remove the top bolt to the hinge and add the supplied plate then reinstall, the little clips inside of the strut ends were kind of a pain to get around the heads but if you make sure they are perfectly centered inside they go on smoothly

The next morning I got a better picture of how the bracket is installed over the hinge, the way the retainer clips are designed you have to have the hood end of the strut free so you can move the strut or the fender will get in the way and it's near impossible to get the clip in at that end ...basically, just put the fender end on first then the hood end and you will save yourself a lot of headache

All finished and I love it, I thought about keeping the prop rod just in case the struts fail but took it out anyway for simplicity

I've been fiddling with the ergonomics of the shifter and the extension puts the knob right where I want it, with the kartboy shift lever it isn't too bad of a throw but without the armrest also extended it is a little uncomfortable still

I went back to the issue I had using a combination of forester and impreza linkage, the forester stay rod is bent differently presumably for the body lift so I put the correct one back in there and took out the kartboy shift lever to sell

With the stock shifter and the extension the throw is insanely long, I was able to pick up an armrest extension though and it helps a ton

I took out the extension while I wait for the cobb shift lever to arrive because throw length was just too much but now with the armrest being so tall it is uncomfortable the other way, I feel like once I get the cobb lever installed and the extension back on everything will be perfect

161 - 180 of 321 Posts