Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

121 - 140 of 321 Posts

·
ok terrific.
'95 STi RA rep, rhd yo!
5,195 Posts
Welcome to the lucrative Midget Escape Hatch Club. Don't make my mistake and remove the decal for painting. It's apparently not available separately from the vent.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Cheap Kitchens
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #122 (Edited)
I finally got the courage to cut a hole in my roof

I used a paper bag and one of my daughter's crayons to trace over the JDM steel and applied the template as straight as I could

I drilled the mounting holes first, I had an all or nothing moment before pulling the trigger and it was pretty intense

For the vent hole I used a dremel and a few cutting discs, it was a little slow going but I didn't want to jack up the thin sheet metal. I wish I wore a full mask instead of just safety goggles because I ended up getting a ton of cutting wheel dust on my face

While I was waiting for the metal epoxy to harden it started raining pretty hard and I noticed the vent was leaking. There was water between the roof and the bracket where the hinge bolts are so I assumed it was coming from there. Subaru put a rubber gasket on the hinge bolt flange but it wasn't doing a good enough job so I used clear silicone on the flange and in the holes to seal it up

I used a wire wheel to scuff up the latch bracket for the metal epoxy

took the inside to bare metal and ate some more dust, the interior of my car has seen better days

The epoxy bonded well and very quickly, I used self tapping screws where the spot welds were and the latch pressure to hold the other side tight to the roof while it cured

Epoxy is cured and the install is complete, I'm glad I taped over the interior decal before paint

I think the best part will be letting the vent open on a hot day while my car sits in a parking lot, hopefully that's enough to keep it from becoming an oven

Or maybe the best part will be just looking at it and drooling, I love just the look of the vent and the practicality is the icing. There's no pictures of it but the little rubber strips that go around the edge of the vent I took off for paint and used silicone to reattach them, since I wanted to be sure no water got inside I pulled off the vent hole gasket and put a bead of silicone around the hole to ensure the gasket lets no water past

·
Registered
Cheap Kitchens
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
My morning commute takes me through an unlit stretch of road so I have been wanting to upgrade my lighting for a while

Crash recommended these so I got them but only just recently got around to installing them

The picture is the best I could do while driving, the road is illuminated all the way to the end of the turn on every turn

I picked up a duracon shift knob and I really like it

The Prodrive wheels have some decent tread on them so I'm gonna get some use out of them before tossing the rubber

I guess the rattlecan job doesn't look so bad but I really want scrub it off to show the anthracite

Photoshop and me do not work well together but I can imagine what they would look like and I like it, everything but the rear drums

Speaking of the great scores at the junkyard... I was pulling rear brakes off a 01 Legacy when I saw a 01 Forester go by on the forklift and scored felt lined clamshell pocket, armrest extension and the stupendous dual cupholder

There was a time when I could put only one drink in a cupholder

I didn't realize how much needed to come off to swap the cupholder but I used the opportunity to fix my vent selector cable which came loose

This is one of those mods that is so simple yet so satisfying

·
Registered
Cheap Kitchens
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
I've been taking care of small issues and doing maintenance stuff, just little things here and there and a few more trips to pick n pull

I figured why not try the Forester armrest and see if it fits and it totally does, with a few modifications

The Forester console is slightly different and uses a different hinge in a different spot but the extension has a few options for mounting

With the Forester hinge there was no way it would work but using the Impreza hinge and moving it to the most forward spot it fits like a glove

After having it on a while I started to not like it and took it back off, I also put the RS passenger seat back in to make it easier getting my daughter in and out

My gauge cluster has been a source of much irritation, the speedometer does what it wants regardless of my speed and the odometer crack just looks bad

Having a working speedometer is great but mostly I'm happy because I just cut 100,000 miles off my car, your argument is invalid

Another junkyard treasure is the 25D computer, the 2.2 runs much better now and idle is so smooth if you have a 2.2 you must do this mod

I'm still don't have any window trim on yet, I need to get the glass resealed and get this rust taken care of

I picked up a crap ton of the clips I need since the old ones were embedded so deep in all the excess sealant, I really don't understand why they would use so frikken much and the back window was done the same way just not as rusty

Speaking of rear glass, the holdup on the trim is really because I'm waiting to get JDM glass installed. Much thanks to my BFF Nick for getting this for me, sorry I couldn't get you a shortblock

·
Registered
99 BDP RS
1,659 Posts
I have yet to put my roof/windshield moldings back on due to the stupid sealant on the windshield. Well, and I had to get more clips. Now it's either, smash the new clips in and hope it stays, or just get a new windshield and have them put everything back on.

That said, immensely jealous of the rear glass you've acquired.

·
Registered
1998 Outback Brilliant Red
36 Posts
wow. doing this.

what all does it do?

does it just have higher tolerances allowing the motor to be complain less?

·
Registered
Cheap Kitchens
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
The mapping seems to be a better fit but it does consume more fuel without really increasing power. I didn't think it would allow the motor to run so rich that I would get a large drop in economy but that happened. If I wasn't driving 50 miles a day I wouldn't really care but a penny saved... 22E computer is back in and I've been working on small things while the swap is on hold

I had the skirts sitting in my shed long enough so I finally put them on

I didn't drill the top mounting holes just some body bolts in the bottom and they are on well enough for my satisfaction, I'll probably put some double sided mounting tape along the top edge if it becomes an issue

After installing the skirts I gave my baby a wash, honestly I don't even notice the skirts

Went to a meet with it all sparkly clean, the Impreza sure isn't what it used to be

Sick of using the key to open the door like a caveman I put my factory keyless in, only hooked up the doors and that was enough of a pain

Behind the fuse box is a plug to tap the power and parking lights or something I don't really remember

The door lock wires are all located in a plug behind the driver's kick panel, the driver's door is the only one not done with a 'T' connection and has to be severed then connected to two different wires

If you want to connect the dome light it is found near the steering column on the radio side in this long connector, I've found wire colors vary greatly among different years/models so they will likely not be the same if you are using this as a guide for your own install

I'm getting caught up in details rather than getting anything major done, windscreen replacement and rust damage repair was not something I wanted to do but it needed to be done

When I get the pics of the repair and replacement I'll add them, JDM rear glass is going in next week then I can finally put the roof trim back on

121 - 140 of 321 Posts