Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

221 - 240 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
Cheap Kitchens
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #221 (Edited)
Fluted lenses look good! I went back to em too over the retrofitted clears I had.
I wasn't sure how I would feel about it but they look great in my eyes, still think the clear lens over the older housing looks good too though

The lettering in the center caps I painted white with a paint marker and it didn't turn out that well, I found the decals in the UK and finally the wheels look how I want them

The motor has been sitting far too long without me even touching it so I installed the turbo, just need to get some new crush washers for the oil feed line

The hose with the boost pill went missing and I couldn't find either the td04 or vf52 hose, I don't think I could tell the difference anyway so I'm going to just get one from Subaru

I swapped out the plugs and ran a compression test to see what 2 years of sitting will do, the #3 cylinder only went to about 30psi but the rest were at 100

The plugs looked like the motor was running just fine, not lean and not rich

I had a hard time getting #3 out and it is quite rusty, I'm thinking that has something to do with the drop in compression relative to the others

On the other end of things I'm getting ready to flock my dash and wanted to get rid of the last remaining SRS component, the charge itself is held in only by this 17mm nut

With the nut removed you can just pull it out from the other side, the 3 rivets on the side of the case need to be drilled out so it's probably a good idea to remove the charge before doing any cutting or drilling

Once the rivets are popped the case has to be pushed in to get the metal tabs off of the cover before it can be pulled out, it's unfortunate that the cover can't simply be converted into another glovebox

Since the wheel decals looked so good on the Prodrives I had to get in touch with Team Illuminata for some decals for the Braids also, when I put them back on I was hoping the 195 tires would help with my rear alignment issues but it's still a problem at speed. The ruts don't grab as much but I do still get some shaking in the steering wheel, adjustable lat links showed up yesterday so it shouldn't be for much longer that I have to deal with this

·
Premium Member
98 2.5RS - V2 WRX Swap
1,593 Posts
Thanks for the DIY on the airbag removal. So once the charge and the bag are removed it just pops back into the dash?

·
Registered
Cheap Kitchens
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Thanks for the DIY on the airbag removal. So once the charge and the bag are removed it just pops back into the dash?
It isn't super secure but yeah, you could use the brackets to hold it better or some glue or tape or something but honestly it is not an issue

New plates finally came, my friend has a GS300 and he's getting plates for it DRLEXUS and I can't wait to take pics together it will be epic

After a very long time I finally decided to open up the kit I got forever ago and flock my spare dash, keeping the fibers together to reclaim them wasn't really a problem with the huge box and bag but keeping them free of contaminants was somewhat difficult

I think it would have been more difficult with a larger box because you have to turn and manipulate the dash while racing the clock with the glue drying, it says 10-15 minutes after brushing it on and it was just enough time

The vent probably should have been taped off but I was just so excited I didn't really care, vin plate will go back on with some tiny screws

The pod was by far the most difficult to cover and I got a lot of glue everywhere, so glad I used a different box for it

After 72 hours it is safe to move parts around but they are still not ready, it takes a full week for them to cure but it can be shortened with a heat lamp so I put the smaller bits out in the sun to see if maybe that helps

While I waited not so patiently for the flock to cure I took the time to polish out all the corrosion on my strut bar, it took so much polish and so much elbow grease but it looks a thousand times better now

More busy work included cutting the tabs off my forester subframe so I can use the cusco brace for GC fitment, there's just no way to make the GD brace work and these tabs get in the way of the older brace

I was able to get most of it off by cutting and breaking the welds, now I just need to paint it to keep the raw steel from rusting

It's really killing me waiting for it to cure I just had to put it together a little bit and stare

·
Registered
Cheap Kitchens
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #228 (Edited)
Your journal is so ****ing funny- I love the dry/self depreciating humor.
Thanks, if I can touch just one person and make them laugh it makes all of my pain worth it

flocking looks good. i should have done this when i swapped to black dash.
It's cheaper than swapping the dash and looks better too, next I'm going to do a 280Z with a bunch of sun cracks in the dash and see how that turns out

Since I can't swap all the suspension over yet I put the steel subframe back in, I heard reports of them rubbing the gas tank but didn't think it was an issue on my car

Not sure what I can do other than dent the tank in a little bit but that's an issue for another time, I'm going to hold off with both frames until I can swap all the suspension and get it aligned straight like I planned on originally

The moment we've all been waiting for, well at least I have

It was hard to be gentle with it, the locating pins kept fighting with me but after talking through our problems we found that we both wanted the same thing just had different ideas on how to get there

Once I put in the white RS cluster it will look so good, I will put the clamshell pocket back in but I wanted to test fitment

Close up you can see it starting to get dirty already, the look is a lot different depending on the light conditions and you could tell much better in high resolution but I don't want George to freak out because it takes 5ms longer to load

With the flash on you can see a lot more of the fine texture that is visible in person under all light conditions

In sunlight the camera really fails to pick up how good it looks, I didn't really notice the reduction in glare but I wasn't looking for it either

I have to say that flock is a great way to match a brown dash with a black airbag and a fiberglass pod, can't tell what color or texture it was before

The view from the outside just in case anybody wants to see it, only problem I have with the flock is it makes the rest of my interior look like crap now

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,577 Posts
Looks good! I'm on the fence about flocking my dash. Oh and pop rivets to secure the VIN Plate! Harbor freight sells a pop rivet kit that is workable. They also have a kit with rivnuts very helpful for random things.

·
Registered
Cheap Kitchens
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
Looks good! I just put my flocked dash (someone else did - bought after they changed their mind)

I cannot wait to do my other car now. It really does look good people.
How can you not like flocked? I know a few people who prefer the stock look and I just can't understand...

airbag is gutted or unplugged yes?
Yes, of course. The airbags are dangerous enough as is, no need to make them even more deadly

Looks good! I'm on the fence about flocking my dash. Oh and pop rivets to secure the VIN Plate! Harbor freight sells a pop rivet kit that is workable. They also have a kit with rivnuts very helpful for random things.
It is seriously the best looking thing ever but I can go a long time not even noticing it lol. That's a good call on the rivnuts, I'll have to revisit that

I put the clamshell back in since the gauges aren't even hooked up, not going for ricer of the year or anything

Flock all the things! There is a pretty clear difference between the Subaru flock and the Donjer stuff, not just the shade but texture too and you can see where I neglected to coat the area around the pocket but I'm not super concerned about it

Today I decided to swap the lenses to get the best of both styles, the difference is pretty minor but I like the bulb placement of the fluted housing much better

Seriously whoever was working the line that day took their job very seriously and didn't give a damn about the sealant budget, there is so much more in the housing too there is no way these would ever leak and it made it so much more difficult to get them apart

With the fluted glass that shroud was far less visible and I don't really like it but I guess I will just live with it, there's not really any way to get the shroud from the clear housing to work

The best analogy I could think of to describe how you want to heat the sealant is like a marshmallow, you want it to swell a little bit until it comes out of the crack and a little bit of bubbling means it is ready but if it bubbles a lot and starts to turn brown you are overcooking it

I found it easiest to start from this side and work the heat gun down the longer sides to slowly pull it apart with leverage from the end, I was a little worried about reusing the sealant until I opened the fluted pair and saw so much extra

Looks a lot better to me, I think the chrome in the fluted housing is a bit stronger though and it makes them look much brighter

That square shroud kinda turns me off but the shape of the housing really turns me on, so conflicted

I don't know if the chrome was always this dull or the heat has worn it down, it looks like some bulbs exploded or some serious heat has stripped it

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,577 Posts

I dug out my forester clamshell so they would match and I realized quickly how much I miss having that storage there, the gauges will go back there post XT swap but I'm getting use of the space now while I can

That's what I did with mine. It looks like we have the same gauge pod.

Also, how is the flocked dash to keep clean? I would guess you just blow it off with compressed air?

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,577 Posts
^how is the glare? The fluting is what directs the light to the correct spots so as not to blind oncoming traffic. If its just making weirdness in the foreground and not blasting light everywhere (ie HID kit in stock halogen reflector) then it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
Cheap Kitchens
1,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
That's what I did with mine. It looks like we have the same gauge pod.

Also, how is the flocked dash to keep clean? I would guess you just blow it off with compressed air?
The pod needed a lot of work just to fit it in the dash, keeping the pocket would have been nice but I am so done working on that pod. I haven't cleaned the dash yet but I was just going to use a vacuum and soft bristled brush

the headlight combo will moke some funny shapes on the ground. but, light output it almost doubled over the stock housing you had.
The light output was only a concern when my commute took me through the deep woods but everywhere else is lit up so nice it doesn't matter. The headlights are purely aesthetic to me but that pattern on the ground is like some sort of Rorschach test, always seeing something different in it

^how is the glare? The fluting is what directs the light to the correct spots so as not to blind oncoming traffic. If its just making weirdness in the foreground and not blasting light everywhere (ie HID kit in stock halogen reflector) then it shouldn't be a problem.
It looked like the light was much more focused, I got much less spread to the sides which is where I wanted it originally

Finally bumping this thread now that I have another car to drive, I picked up a new 2017 Outback so I can get some work done on this car. A lot of time has passed since the last update but not much of it was spent working on my Impreza, mostly just working overtime, house projects, other cars...

One thing I did do was put the fluted lenses back on, just not a fan of the clear and I know I'm in the minority on that one

Got to meet Chris Atkinson, driver for Subaru back when WRC was actually watchable

Then a bunch more working overtime late into the night, making money but not enjoying it

My first new car only 6 miles on it, new commuter means I can work on the Impreza again

This is what they call a "snow day" here, school was cancelled and it gave me an excuse to get the Impreza back out for some fun

I got a set of Cusco lateral links that were pretty well used, I got new bushings for them and tried my best to match the Cusco blue just couldn't get it quite right enough

I decided to just go with a different shade of blue that has more flake and just repaint the cradle brace too, subframe looked good gold but I like it blue much better

The tower bar has always been pretty ugly so it's getting the same treatment as the lower suspension

When I took the interior out I found a bunch of water in the spare tire well, it rusted pretty bad so I thought about using it as an ecxuse to just cut it out and use flat sheet metal but I want to keep some of the functions of a normal car

Of course the water came from the tail lights, The silicone I used was like glue and made it near impossible to get the tails off. It bent the mounting frame pretty bad pulling them off so I had to hammer it flat again, not sure which silicone I want to go with this time around

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,733 Posts
221 - 240 of 321 Posts