Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
White Lwag
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I don't give up easy. I still am working on 2 other car, one of my 67 vw. I've had it since 1998. And my
87 ea82t had it since around 2002. I'm a bit too stubborn, an very obsessive. Plus I love my subys. The endless amount of possibilities of parts from almost endless years of badass cars. What's not to love.

·
Premium Member
White Lwag
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Ran great, bout 20-30 easy miles. What a difference from the 300,000+ mile 222. Time for an oil change, then I put the front-end back together. Drove the car home for the first time in a very long time. I'm sure my folks were as pleased, if not more pleased that my car and all the parts weren't in there carport anymore. I told them a month tops. Haha

I was so stoked to be able to get it home and be able to work on it a couple mins at a time. With my very limited allotted time, it should help move this project along.

Plus I could look out my front window and see it.

·
Premium Member
White Lwag
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
With the car running I figured I could start focusing on the wagons much needed suspension upgrades.
I just finished mowing my yard, was out of beer. Figured I'd get a couple more miles one the engine. On the way home car was running so good, tell bout a mile from home. A very slight hesitation, I thought that was odd. Then I thought, shit I best get my ass home.
Then bout 20-30 yds. from my lower driveway, knock knock shit.

Good news, made it in my drive. Very good news, just bought beer. Bad news motor garbage.
Reach in the back seat grabbed a beer and started. Somewhere around 3-7 into it the wife walks down, "why'd ya park down here?"
I just looked very unamused at her.
She turned around and walked back up to the house.

So, I left it right there for bout a week.

Hooked onto it pulled it up the hill, out with my frankin.

So by this point, im done with this motor. I spent about 2 weeks looking at every engine swap, wrecked suby, used engine, jdm, usdm options. Althought i know what i would like todo. Right around this time, buying another piece of land to build a house for the wife and a shop for me. That an having my 3rd kid on it's way. Just not the time to spend quite that much. I called ended up calling a very long time friend and also my mechanic/beer buddy.
Told him: "find me a 251, 100,000 miles."
Ten min. Later he calls back: it'll be here Thursday.
My reply: cool.

Back to another kid coming. Wife's xt is not going to fit 3 car seats. Time to trade it in.

This is what she picked up.
3.5 twin turbo. I hated to see the xt go, just got over the warranty. That means upgrades. O'well.
But this f150 is sooo much fun, plus upgrades are endless.

I figured, well might as well through the 5mt swap I've had setting for too long.

Time for some more cleaning.
Parts inbound.

·
Registered
'95 JDM WRX wagon 2.5T
235 Posts
Then bout 20-30 yds. from my lower driveway, knock knock shit.

Good news, made it in my drive. Very good news, just bought beer. Bad news motor garbage.
Reach in the back seat grabbed a beer and started. Somewhere around 3-7 into it the wife walks down, "why'd ya park down here?"
I just looked very unamused at her.
She turned around and walked back up to the house.

So, I left it right there for bout a week.
Sad, but very funny.

·
Premium Member
White Lwag
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yea makes me laugh. I'm over it now. Just can't wait to get the wr15rt' n konis up n on the road.
I'm in the middle of 5mt swap, broke my cam and my cam on my phone so not to many updates lately.

·
Premium Member
White Lwag
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Hard to get much done lately.

I have managed to get going on my 5mt swap tho.

Rearend in from 01 2.5rs, worn out lsd

5mt in

One more petal an a manual shifter. All connected to a new sti shortshifter with kartboy bushes.

·
Premium Member
White Lwag
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Slow progress.

New 06 wrx act streetlite flywheel and exedy clutch kit.

And starting to come back together

Dirty but I'll worry about that after I know it runs. Just waiting on fluids to showup. Wanna make sure the clutch engages before the rest goes together.
Then I'll see if I can't figure out how to fool the ecu into thinking it's a 5mt now.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Got you, fam.

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f72/t225751-how-wire-automatic-manual-swap.html

Did the swap years ago, with minor hiccups. This post summed up the fix pretty neatly.

Ninja edit: Any idea why your engine developed rod knock? I rebuilt my engine myself a while back, and went about a year (year and a half?) before I developed rod knock.

It may have to do that I did not rebuild it well. But then again, it may have to do with the fact that automatic engines do not have the timing belt protector plate, and the frequent loading/unloading may have caused it to skip a tooth.

·
Premium Member
White Lwag
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks for the link. That's one of about 7-8 writeups that I've read over n over, the last few months. Im farely confident ill get it.
As far as the engine knocking im not real sure yet. I've got a couple possibilities rattling around in the back of my head. When I get the car running, ill take the time to strip it down and find out for sure.

·
Premium Member
White Lwag
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
Haven't had much time lately, but I managed to sneak a few min today. Got fluids in rearend, front diff, n engine. I also got most of everything back together. Torqued all ass end bolts, axle nuts, cam, n crank bolt double checked. Need to throw the exhaust back on. Just gonna reinstall the stock crap just to get it back on the road. Then just trick the auto ecu. an rap up a few odds n ends to get it rolling under it's own power. Then I'll start upgrading. Can't wait.

·
Registered
98 Wagon L
228 Posts
Hey man! Cool LWAG. I wish mine was white. I'd offer to trade but I am invested in mine now :p When are you gonna throw the new wheels on?

Also I see you are also swapping from auto to manual! I just used my old speed sensor for ease of use, wired the NSS to a ground and to the ECU Pin (I'm swapping at the same time remember?) but I haven't decided exactly how to handle all the extra wiring and the reverse lights. What'd you do for yours? I'm thinking about cutting and splicing right in the engine bay for the reverse lights. But I wish I could delete these two big ugly plugs hanging out under my intercooler...

21 - 40 of 69 Posts