Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone provide information on mating a JDM 4.44 5 speed transmission with Suretrac R160 rear diff to a USDM 2.5 SOHC engine. I have an opportunity to purchase such a driveline set up for a minimal amount of money and am unsure of compatibility. I have concerns over push vs. pull type clutches, bell housing to block bolt patterns, starter mount compatibility, etc... and whether or not such a swap is even possible. Any info, especially from those who have experience with such a swap would be greatly appreciated so that I can make a better informed decision. I have been slowly piecing through internet information but the process is slow going. For reference my vehicle is a 2000 RS coupe 5MT. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2001 SRP 2.5RS/RA/SOHC Monster
2,807 Posts
That information is readily available. If it's that cheap just buy it and figure out the rest later. You need a 4.44 rear diff and the proper slave cylinder for the trans. Just buy it and put it in. It'll work if you put in the leg work.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So all I would need for the JDM pull-type clutch to function on the push-type USDM clutch transmission is the corresponding JDM clutch slave cylinder? What about the actual flywheel and clutch assembly - do those components need to also be JDM parts?

·
Premium Member
2,807 Posts
Why would you be trying to use the jdm clutch on the U.S. Trans? You know, since the usdm trans won't be there and all.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate your candor - this is why I'm asking questions. Just so I'm clear - JDM tranny needs JDM matching rear diff (4.44 FD), clutch, flywheel, and slave cylinder - with all these components tranny should function with no issues when mated to USDM engine?

·
Registered
163 Posts
JDM VS USDM are generally compatible. It's either a Turbo trans or an N/A trans. If it's a Turbo trans, you can order a clutch for say a 2004-2005 WRX and it will work, same with the Slave. An N/A trans, just buy a clutch for your RS.

If you didn't get a rear diff, USDM models had 4.44. Outback and Foresters with Automatics have 4.44 gears so you could get a rear from one of them

·
Registered
106 Posts
JDM VS USDM are generally compatible. It's either a Turbo trans or an N/A trans. If it's a Turbo trans, you can order a clutch for say a 2004-2005 WRX and it will work, same with the Slave. An N/A trans, just buy a clutch for your RS.

If you didn't get a rear diff, USDM automatic models had 4.44. Outback and Foresters with Automatics have 4.44 gears so you could get a rear from one of them
The manuals came with a 4.11.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I appreciate your candor - this is why I'm asking questions. Just so I'm clear - JDM tranny needs JDM matching rear diff (4.44 FD), clutch, flywheel, and slave cylinder - with all these components tranny should function with no issues when mated to USDM engine?
You really need to read the first page of the auto to manual swap thread.

To clear things up and from what I understand if you have the JDM gearbox, you dont need everything else to be JDM. You just need the final drive ratio to match with your gearbox and differentials. The clutch, flywheel, and rear diff don't need to be JDM components. I think the slave cylinder from a manual rs will work as well.

·
Registered
266 Posts
you all have missed the barn as OP has Suretrac R160.

If the transmission ## starts with 752, you can use all of the 2.5RS clutch set. While you're at it, you can swap out the shift fork and Throw-Out bearing with a 06-07 WRX which is stronger

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Soooo...#754 gearbox can use 06-07 WRX clutch assembly, shifter fork, and clutch slave cylinder?

Can anyone chime in on pros / cons of said swap in an NA car JDM WRX V5 STi 5 speed transmission. ID number is TY754VBAAA, 4.444 FD.)? The car has the SOHC 2.5 L but also have Delta 1500 cams and a Deliciois Tuning re-flashed ECU. I'm assuming the tranny will a bit more robust and certainly have fewer miles than my current one.

·
Premium Member
2,807 Posts
Nope, 754 needs a 02-05 WRX clutch set-up.

·
Registered
Zenki 1995 Impreza WRX in glacier white
16 Posts
you all have missed the barn as OP has Suretrac R160.

If the transmission ## starts with 752, you can use all of the 2.5RS clutch set. While you're at it, you can swap out the shift fork and Throw-Out bearing with a 06-07 WRX which is stronger
I have a v2 jdm wrx with a transmission that starts with ty752. will a 2.5rs flywheel fit my ej20g and mesh well with the 2.5 rs clutch? I've gotta do a clutch job...

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,799 Posts
Nope, different style transmissions, push vs pull, won't work. You need a clutch kit that matches your ej20g transmission. Such as an 92-05 WRX clutch kit to include flywheel.

·
Registered
Zenki 1995 Impreza WRX in glacier white
16 Posts
Nope, different style transmissions, push vs pull, won't work. You need a clutch kit that matches your ej20g transmission. Such as an 92-05 WRX clutch kit to include flywheel.
so let's say my trans is a pull-type like the 02-05 usdm wrx. I should go with a kit that comes with a flywheel to insure fitment, right?
what if I get a clutch and flywheel from the same brand such as Exedy would that suffice?

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,799 Posts
If you get a flywheel and clutch kit combination for a 1992-2005 WRX, it will fit your car. If you try to reinvent the wheel and mix and match, it probably wont work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts