Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS coupe
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to get a review from some people who have it on their car, and maybe how much they paid for it. It retails on subaruWRXParts.com for $540, but I cannot POSSIBLY imagine anyone paying that much for a strut brace.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS coupe
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i have been lookin on ebay, just seein if they are worth the extra $$

·
Registered
'01 BRP Coupe
2,799 Posts
Paid $120 shipped, but I've seen as low as $75 sell on eBay. Couldn't feel a difference whatsoever; I think it is just too close to the firewall to really affect the chassis stiffness. Look at an old Datsun or an S2000 and compare it to the RS, and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
2011 A4
1,863 Posts
how can you compare those cars to a subaru? im curious to know how a smaller car rwd compares?
i drive a supercharged s2000 (ap1) on occasion (bosses car) when each mod was added individually..coilovers..undercarraige h-brace/ strut bar/rear sway....the feeling is no where near what a sway bar on a Subaru feels like..the strut bar was a significant difference and i felt the difference in the sway bar going from no strut...i didnt feel it on the s2000 though

·
Premium Member
2007 FXT Sport
4,597 Posts
I understand what he means.

I just got mine on ebay. Only reason I bought it was because it was $205 shipped for FHI CF Front Strut bar, JDM GC8 underbrace, and rear Cusco bar... sweet deal.

·
The Silverback Mod
05 Black OBS
8,896 Posts
If you want bang for the buck... it's a REAR strut brace that made ALL the difference in my wagon!

Of course I had to make the front match ~ but it's just for 'bling'!

·
Premium Member
2007 FXT Sport
4,597 Posts
Agreed, I think you *may* feel the front better than the rear, unless you get that reverse style that points toward the front of the car instead of the firewall.

·
Registered
'01 BRP Coupe
2,799 Posts
how can you compare those cars to a subaru?
What I'm trying to say is that the distance from the strut towers to the firewall is much less than that of the cars I mentioned previously. Due to the relatively close proximity of the two on the RS, it is generally believed (I as well as a few others on this board) that there is less tendency for the chassis to flex. In other words, if a vehicle with strut towers closer to the front of the engine (or farther away from the firewall in general) were to have a front strut tower bar installed, the effects would be much more noticeable than a similar setup on our cars.

·
Registered
2001 Impreza RS coupe
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well your right about that 2nd bar being further from the firewall hah

·
Registered
'01 BRP Coupe
2,799 Posts
No, the suspension must be under normal load. I believe the torque for the bolts must be 13 ft-lbs (on North Ursalia's site). I just hand-tightened mine though. Took a matter of a couple minutes to install.

·
Premium Member
1999 2.5RS Silverthorn
286 Posts
I always thought that strut bars were supposed to be installed with the wheels unloaded...oh well I could be wrong i guess

·
Registered
SRP 2000 Impreza RS
95 Posts
How big of a difference does the strut bar make? Do you really notice it? I was thinking about getting the front and rear strut bars, but I honestly don't know much about them, other than that their there for stability.

·
Premium Member
2015 WRX STI WRB
8,403 Posts
How big of a difference does the strut bar make? Do you really notice it? I was thinking about getting the front and rear strut bars, but I honestly don't know much about them, other than that their there for stability.
if you take a completely stock rs, and install a jdm sti front strut bar, you will not notice any difference in handling.

·
Registered
74 Posts
No, the suspension must be under normal load. I believe the torque for the bolts must be 13 ft-lbs (on North Ursalia's site). I just hand-tightened mine though. Took a matter of a couple minutes to install.
ur thinking of sway bars, strut mount bars are different...most cars you cant even get them on without unloading the wheels. at least on the front.

·
OG GC
MY00 BRP RS...still adding to
4,471 Posts
ur thinking of sway bars, strut mount bars are different...most cars you cant even get them on without unloading the wheels. at least on the front.
:wtf:
um...no...cynthetik is talking about how easy it is to put on the FHI CF strut bar. Not the struts themselves.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts