Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2000 BRP 2.5 RS Sedan
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*I don't know where to put this, so I put it here.

As we all know, one of the "holy grails" in our community is the JDM rear wiper (on the sedans and coupes, STFU wagon guys :biglaugh:). However, the main cost of entry is the glass itself. Such a small but significant difference is preventing us from seeing out the rear window in inclement weather. What if one of us contacted a custom auto glass maker (the guys that make the glass for "chopped" hot rods and such) about making glass identical to the JDM glass in every way and posted his findings on rs25.com?

Well my friends, contemplate no more! This is very possible, but how much would you pay to have that coveted rear glass? Remember, this wouldn't be "I'll pay for it and wait 6 months to cross the Pacific," but a part made in America that would be in production, and be brand new!

Even then, If I could generate real interest (group buy-in), the cost for new glass could be very reasonable, especially considering the sheer difficulty in obtaining the glass itself. I'm very motivated to make this happen. I would like at least 20-30 people to spread out the cost of tooling and development (although I can't see how hard it would be. Copy this glass exactly, but make a hole here.) If I could get at least 40 people guaranteed, the cost per unit before shipping would be around 300 bucks.

I have been led to believe that the other components (motor, and arm) are identical to the wagons, if this is true or not, can someone with experience chime in?

Come on guys (and gals!), let's make this happen!
-Vu

List of People interested
1. Me (Vuddha)
2. chris stiles

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,123 Posts
It'd be easier and more cost effective to get 40 people to group buy glass from Japan.

Plus you cannot beat an OEM fit.

That being said i'd be interested in seeing what kind of product can be made. So subbed for that.

·
Registered
2000 BRP 2.5 RS Sedan
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the input about the wiper motor and arm, I was led to believe otherwise.
As for OE fit, most replacement windshields are not OE, they are from another manufacturer. If made by a competent manufacturer, there should be no problem. Also, the way it's sealed to the frame, it would make it really hard to screw up (the sealant/glue seals it in and takes up any slack, if there were any).
Thanks for the input, can we get more people to chime in with constructive posts? And 555Jay, would it be possible to get the measurements of the wiper arm hole? How far up is the whole and the diameter of the hole?
-Vu

·
OG GC
OG 01 STM 2.5 RS
1,506 Posts
Ok, $300 for the glass if enough people are interested plus shipping, could be around say $100-200. Then figure $40 to $80 for a complete used rear wiper assy from JDM land and hopefully you can find it with the relay wiring intact. Hopefully the nozzel and washers are intact and not dry rotted becuase the nozzel alone is $25 new from japanparts.com. Add another $20-40 bucks for a used wagon tank. Plus say $40-$100 for a used/new wagon wiper stalk and don't forget about the misc parts ( wire,solder, hose and the check valve for the pre-ejaculation water from heavy acceleration ) $20. And roughly $100-$150 for install and trim depending on the condition existing trim.

You're looking at someone wanting to spend $600-$800 for this project of a rear wiper and will the new window even include the rear defrost lines? I spent in close to the upper end for mine and a few extra parts such as new nozzle, washers, and a new stalk after I fried my used one wiring up the relay.

I applaud your effort to get this made but I don't think you're gonna get enough people that would spend that kind of money for just a rear wiper. I honestly just bought mine to complete my JDM look. I have so much product on my rear window that water just rolls off so I hardly use it.

Edit:forgot to add price of installation.

·
Registered
99WhiteMock22B/10TeslaRoadster
6,660 Posts
I would be interested but it would have to be on the cheapness for it to make sense. Like showoval says, if it ends up that much than I will just get an OE JDM and rock with it.

·
Registered
2000 BRP 2.5 RS Sedan
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From what I'm lead to believe with the glass, it would come with defroster lines and tint, to make it identical to the factory glass. And the beauty of this glass is that it would be available NEW and STATESIDE.

As I said before, I appreciate all the feedback so far, I'd be more than happy to get this started and make this a reality. What do you think would be a good price point for just the glass? Remember that the more people that buy in, the cheaper the per-unit cost. After it's all said and done, I can easily justify spending 600 total to make this happen (glass+components & install). It's just that the availability has definitely hampered my ability to do so.
-Vu

·
OG GC
OG 01 STM 2.5 RS
1,506 Posts
Well I paid $200 for the window and wiper assy plus $200 to ship via freight from a import vendor on here back in 07. We weren't even sure if it was gonna make it intact from Cali to Texas but it did.

·
Registered
2000 BRP 2.5 RS Sedan
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1. You lucky sumbitch. :mad:
2.If we had these available stateside, you could ship it insured, so if somehow the window shatters in transit, just get another one! What I think would be the big draw here is the availability and piece of mind that brings. Even if you get glass from overseas, if it's insured and breaks in transit, you get your money back, but now you're still out of a windshield, and you have to go hunting for one again.
-Vu

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
Get hole cut in original glass and piece together wiper motor and wiring ftw

·
needs more cowbell
95L, 07 2.5i, R6
9,315 Posts
Can't, tempered glass + cut hole= shattered mess. Plus the defrost lines would be in the way too.
Really? I could have sworn some places can cut it for you. Losing a lower defrost line or two wouldn't matter, but if necessary you could always rebuild them around the hole. Maybe I was thinking of another material that was supposedly uncuttable. Lame :/

·
Registered
2000 BRP 2.5 RS Sedan
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
they honestly aren't that hard to find.

Also Canada exists.
Then please let me know where to find some glass! I have been searching for some time. However, the points I've made in prior posts still stand. And then you are still paying for glass that's a decade old and having it shipped to you. If it breaks in transit, then what?

And 2slo4u, since that glass is tempered, once you cut deep enough, the glass WILL shatter. If it was so easy, then we wouldn't have to roll the dice and source glass from overseas.
-Vu

1 - 20 of 38 Posts