Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
97 JDM STI V3
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Quick message to the mods - I contacted Kevin 2 days ago with regards to activating my vendor account! This is not a for sale thread as the items don't exist yet.

OK, so some of you may have seen my WRC style mudflap thread:
http://www.rs25.com/forums/f4/t170875-wrc-style-rally-mudflaps-opinions-please.html

I'm in the process of starting a small business, selling Impreza specific stuff.

I wanted a JDM towhook, but all of the ones I saw were made of such thin aluminium.
They all looked as though they would break the first time they were used!
So I decided to make my own.

This is cut out of 15mm aircraft grade billet aluminium. The smaller bracket is made from 6mm. Kit includes 2 sets of mounting bolts, 1 set of nuts and washers.

It has a 2 inch hole which means that it meets regulations.

I'm unsure about the finish. Maybe painted, maybe powdercoated, maybe anodized.

It's only a prototype at present, so any comments or feedback on the design etc. would be much appreciated!

Estimated retail price would be around $50-60 including worldwide shipping.

I'm sick with the flu at the moment, as soon as I feel better I'll get some photos of it on the car.

Thanks.

·
Registered
97 JDM STI V3
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
what about the same thing but that mounts directly to the two mounting holes on the chasis? (the ones that hold the stock loop)

like this mounting but your styl billet Rennenmetal.com
Nice suggestion but I think it would be impossible to bend the aluminium as it's 15mm thick.

That one uses much thinner steel.........maybe another product I could make for the GC.
I could ask about making ones like this but they would have to be steel.

·
Registered
97 JDM STI V3
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You asked for opinions so,.... IMO, I HATE these tow hooks, it's so pointless you can't even tow a Subu not to mention you can't use the hooks for towing. I hate seeing Hondas with these on it. :mad:
Hey.

I'm not too sure what you mean by 'you can't even tow a subu'.

The whole purpose of this is when you're at a track day or something like that and you need to be towed a short distance.....for example if you go off the track and end up in the gravel.

If you can't tow a Subaru how do you intend to get it out??

If you have ever tried using the OEM tow hook to tow a Subaru backwards, and have the STI spats you will know that the tow rope can damage the spats/bumper. The whole point of this is that it hangs lower therefore no damage can occur.

I agree that I also hate seeing Hondas with these. Hondas that will probably never go near a racetrack. This product is for people with Subarus who do want to attend track days.

If people want one just for looks, then sure buy one of the $30 ones from eBay that will break the first time you use it. If you're serious about attending track days and want something that works then this is for you.

I'm pretty sure that many of the governing bodies now require cars to have a tow hook which is a minimum of 51mm. Not too sure what size the OEM hook is.

·
Banned
GM6 2.5RS
69 Posts
Hey.

I'm not too sure what you mean by 'you can't even tow a subu'.

The whole purpose of this is when you're at a track day or something like that and you need to be towed a short distance.....for example if you go off the track and end up in the gravel.

If you can't tow a Subaru how do you intend to get it out??

If you have ever tried using the OEM tow hook to tow a Subaru backwards, and have the STI spats you will know that the tow rope can damage the spats/bumper. The whole point of this is that it hangs lower therefore no damage can occur.

I agree that I also hate seeing Hondas with these. Hondas that will probably never go near a racetrack. This product is for people with Subarus who do want to attend track days.

If people want one just for looks, then sure buy one of the $30 ones from eBay that will break the first time you use it. If you're serious about attending track days and want something that works then this is for you.

I'm pretty sure that many of the governing bodies now require cars to have a tow hook which is a minimum of 51mm. Not too sure what size the OEM hook is.
I thought AWD meant they have to Flat bedded? Short distances is different?

·
Registered
97 JDM STI V3
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought AWD meant they have to Flat bedded? Short distances is different?
As long as you tow the car with all 4 wheels on the ground it's ok.
Ever rolled your car with the gear dis-engaged? Same thing.

With towing the main damage occurs when you tow the car by lifting the front wheels and have the rear wheels rolling on the road. Kills the differential. This is why you have to use a flatbed.

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,835 Posts
i love when someone who doesn't know shit about what they're bitching about comes into a thread and makes statements that are blatantly stupid and unfounded. :rolleyes:

good luck to you ironbridge. your first run looks great.

·
Banned
GM6 2.5RS
69 Posts
As long as you tow the car with all 4 wheels on the ground it's ok.
Ever rolled your car with the gear dis-engaged? Same thing.

With towing the main damage occurs when you tow the car by lifting the front wheels and have the rear wheels rolling on the road. Kills the differential. This is why you have to use a flatbed.
I did not know that the tow hooks kept the car to the ground, I assumed they were hooked up to, in order to pick the car up and tow. Bad assumption.

i love when someone who doesn't know shit about what they're bitching about comes into a thread and makes statements that are blatantly stupid and unfounded. :rolleyes:

good luck to you ironbridge. your first run looks great.
Whether that particular comment was incorrect or not, I still think the tow hooks look stupid. Even if I don't know anything about tracks because I live no where near any tracks.
:banana:

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,835 Posts
looks or not, you still bashed their usefulness when you know nothing about them nor their function. don't bash new vendors for making something that you know nothing about.

·
Banned
GM6 2.5RS
69 Posts
looks or not, you still bashed their usefulness when you know nothing about them nor their function. don't bash new vendors for making something that you know nothing about.
I didn't bash the vendor at all, I bashed the look of the product which still stands. and I made a comment questioning the functionality. :clap:

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,835 Posts
you bashed his product. same difference. the same product that you know nothing about. NOR do you know about anything to do with it's functionality. this is evident in your questioning of the ability to tow subaru's.

·
Banned
GM6 2.5RS
69 Posts
you bashed his product. same difference. the same product that you know nothing about. NOR do you know about anything to do with it's functionality. this is evident in your questioning of the ability to tow subaru's.
Once again, I didn't bash the product, only the look of it. Why is this unclear?

It looks like a well machined and strong product. I hate the look of it on Hondas and Subarus.

Separately, I questioned its functionality ON A SUBARU because I have never been near a track and did not know.

You done now?

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,835 Posts
You asked for opinions so,.... IMO, I HATE these tow hooks, it's so pointless you can't even tow a Subu not to mention you can't use the hooks for towing. I hate seeing Hondas with these on it. :mad:
Once again, I didn't bash the product, only the look of it. Why is this unclear?

It looks like a well machined and strong product. I hate the look of it on Hondas and Subarus.

Separately, I questioned its functionality ON A SUBARU because I have never been near a track and did not know.

You done now?
how did you not bash the product.. you said. and i quoted. that it was pointless on a subaru. that speaks nothing of the look. but speaks volumes about your lack of knowledge.

stfu noob. you done know.

·
Banned
GM6 2.5RS
69 Posts
i have used my tow hooks on multiple occasions to tow my car or support it.

/argument.

neat tow hooks. not for me but might sell quite well.
Agreed. I didn't even read #18 :banana:

Glad someone gets it :D The tow hooks do look like they are made incredibly well and with a legitimate use they must be awesome!

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.