Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am in the process of purchasing everything I need for the auto to manual conversion.

Currently I have:

Master/Slave cylinder
Clutch (Fly wheel, Pressure Plate, Clutch disk)
5MT driveline
Manual ECU and harness
MT Crossmember
Driveline cover (the safety component, don’t know if it’s the correct name)
MY99-00 5 Speed MT, TY754VB1AA (4.11 FD)
Matching rear differential (4.11)
Pedal Cluster

What parts are also needed? I know the hoses for the master/slave cylinder, short shifter along with the shift linkage assembly (probably using the wrong name), and potentially a break booster. Any others?

Thank you!

·
Administrator
2000 RSTi
1,603 Posts
The ecu doesn't care if it's auto or manual, your existing one will work. But...if you could find a "Z4" ecu, that's pretty much the best one that runs well on US fuel (meaning there are spicier ecu's out there, but they scale back their timing due to our lower octane, and for that reason aren't as good as the Z4).

Which harness are you talking about? If you're talking about the harness under the dash, that's a good idea, as long as it's compatible for your car.

The brake booster isn't necessary to change.

You'll reuse your gas pedal, and the best fitting clutch/brake combos come from 98-01 RS or 98-02 Forester manual trans (all those are set up for the hydraulic clutch).

For the clutch kit I'd recommend getting a name brand such as Sachs, Luk or Exedy, and definately get the "HD" version if you can. Don't bother with cheap "stage 5" clutch kits, those will be brutal to shift all.the.time...

I can't think of anything else you need, hopefully others will chime in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I’m super new to this but the harness is the one that is connected directly into the ECU. From the looks of it, it’s the wires/harness for the entire car; it came with the ECU.

I’ll definitely look to see if it’s the Z4 you mentioned. If not, I’ll sell the ECU and get some of my money back.

So looks like I got pretty much everything. Super stoked to get it swapped out.

·
Registered
98RS, 98RS, 99RS, 99L
354 Posts
Having the manual harness does save you some headaches as friends of mine have repeatedly run into issues when rewiring the auto harness to work. They almost all had idle issues and the car would randomly stall.

As long as youve got a matching driveshaft and manual starter as well Id say you have just about everything you'll need. For aesthetics you'd probably want to source a manual center console and shift boot as well. The manual gauge clusters also will be without PRND on them, but again that's aesthetics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.