Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

JD Power survey rates MY98 Subaru about average

556 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Albert 
#1 · (Edited)
JD Power survey ranks MY98 Subarus

IMO, all vehicles equipped with the 2.5L DOHC drivetrain and related components should have reduced rating to below average.

I also speculate this was NOT a fair representation of Legacy GT and RS owners surveyed.

I wonder how many "original owners" on the board filled out a survey?

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=5533&n=156,173&sid=173

**edit::D

#2 ·
As the owner of a MY98 Impreza 2.5RS I would say that it is far above average. I only had two incidents requiring service during the warranty period and one wasn't specifically a warranty issue.

The first was a leak somewhere around the master cylinder which was fixed for free including the cost of towing.

The second was a factory recall on a seal for the rear differential which was also replaced for free.

The only other thing I've had done to the car besides the brakes/maintenance/oil changes was the clutch which went at about 55,000 miles. That was entirely my fault due to bad driving and some abuse which happened during the first 2 years.

Overall the car has been amazing and I plan to keep it for quite a while. Subaru's have always had amazing quality and that's why I looked into them. My friends down the street had Subaru's the entire time I was growing up and they had almost no problems with them.

#3 ·
No doubt some of us have been more fortunate, however those who have experience any combination of the below problems are not too thrilled especially when they can quickly pick out 10+ problems applicable to their vehicle.

-thin paint chipping
-thin and shaggy carpet
-unidentified and unfixable rattles
-broken passenger seat foot release
-side mirrors wind noise
-door glass seal wind noise
-something? about the sunroof
-bad wheel bearings
-bad alignment at purchase
-vibrating/noisy slave cylinder pushrod
-creaky clutch actuation
-clutch shudder/chatter
-shifter pops out of gear
-grinding gear shifts
-3+ attempts to engage reverse
-replace front driveshaft grease/seals
-valve cover oil leak
-batteries dying <36 months
-ECU replacement (not reflash)
-blown headgaskets
-cracked cylinder blocks

During the past 4.5 years these were many of the complaints I have seen at various forums by DIFFERENT owners.

As with owning any brand of vehicle I don't believe anyone really expects a trouble-free vehicle. IMO 2 or 3 problems are tolerable but 7+ one vehicle I would deem unacceptable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.