Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2000 GC8 WRX STi
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
The PowerFC update

After all of the boost issues which really irritated me as well as the leaning AFR figures I decided to swap out the entire standard ECU system and go for an Apexi PowerFC.

I decided to go with the PowerFC mainly because of the commander, and I would be able to monitor and make simple changes right there on the go.

PS: The box is a bit "beaten up" as it sat in my car for literally 2 weeks or so beating about the place lol.... However the PowerFC was safely home and just the box was left in the trunk beating around..

These are the contents of the packaging, well the ones that really concerned me...

NB:Tried to rotate the pic, but photobucket kept giving me some silly error telling me to try again later so this is it.

As you can see its basically in Japanese so I couldnt really read anything lol.

I couldn't use the standard Japanese map due to the differences in Fuel from Japan and where I live in Trinidad so had to get a buddy who tunes to give me the hook up!

So my buddy who helps me fix anything on my car as well as our other friend who tunes came over to give me the hook up!

got some nice sun today when we were ready to tune!

Everything including the PowerFC ready to see its new home

I really love the fact that it just plugs right in

and they started doing their thing...

"The Advisor" and "The Tuner"

I just took the pics lol.

Was getting a slight problem of the cold start, a bit difficult for the tuner to adjust it as the car needs to be very cold to do so! As the figures need to be under 30 Degrees Celsius etc.. So i decided to try to make these adjustments myself, its a time consuming process.... the car basically shuts off after u start it due to kinda missing spark or too much or too little fuel... So its taking me a while to get the proper adjustments. It could also be the IACV causing the problems as if i turn on the A/C the car automatically idles up so it doesnt switch off..

NOTE: After starting up, it takes no more than 20 seconds to idle normally and idle up etc. Or if when I switch on i just rev a little, very very small taps on the pedal for a few seconds and its good to go.. So i'm gonna service the IACV and see if that makes a difference.

These are the figures I have at the moment. Although im gonna make minor adjustments later to the colder sections. 30+ degrees and 10+ degrees

And this is the temporary location for it lol

·
Registered
2000 GC8 WRX STi
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Today I was gonna go purchase an additional tool kit

NB: Whenever you lend out tools you always tend to get back alot less lol... So i needed to go get a new kit today

But rain kinda prevented me from doing that!! still now on my way at 6:38PM to the store to try seeing if I can get a tool kit to start making some DIY fixes

The rain that kept me home lol...

·
Registered
2000 GC8 WRX STi
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
Today was a simple but long day, decided today that I was going to do A LITTLE cleaning up...some very minor sutff..

So went to the store and picked this up

Came home and started tackling this project...simple but time consuming

This was really annoying me

As well as this

This sight was annoying lol

First time i've ever removed this finisher so it was a bit dirty under here.. however i cleaned it up while the other stuff were drying...

I initially started off to repaint these items...this was after washing them and using a bit of sandpaper to remove any flakes of paint etc.

But soon after, I decided i'd just repaint them all

What was left there

·
Registered
2000 GC8 WRX STi
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Got two new items, will try and upload pics soon.

1. Cusco Turbo Heat Shield - I found that my clutch master rubber kept burning out after a few months due to the heat generated from the turbo and the aftermarket downpipe. Still testing it out to see if it helps, also used DEI headwrap on the downpipe. Hopefully it assists in the problems.

2. ZeroSports Cool Action Splitter - Decided to go with this, to increase the airflow onto my TMIC... Their design is a lot better than the stock design. I also have a few pics to show the comparison...Will upload them as soon as I get a chance.

·
Registered
2000 GC8 WRX STi
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Currently I have the same defi gauges as before (Boost, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Water Temp) ...

However, I felt for a change, so decided to try the Perrin series gauges...these gauges from the reviews seem to be as good as the Defi gauges and its the same BF... so thats good... also loved the fact that they can change from either Amber to White!

Only bought the Water Temp and Boost gauge first to check them out... Would probably order the Oil Temp and Pressure later on...

·
Registered
2000 GC8 WRX STi
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Also recently changed over to Valvoline VR-1 Racing Oil.. So the first one I used was the white box, which was non synthetic ... now im switching over to the black bottle one which is fully synthetic..

My dog apparently wanted to be on RS25!!

So I have zero complaints about this oil.. I don't have a catalytic converter so it does no harm there and the high zinc content is great for the turbo and the engine... I got great temp responses as well as steady oil pressure...

However, I decided to upgrade to the Racing Synthetic as stated before, which is this one here... haven't used it yet so no feedback ref the temps and or pressure, however Im pretty sure its going to work just as great or even better...

61 - 69 of 69 Posts