Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1998,2.5rs,RED
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a site that has 1997 sti's for very cheap and that is the f.o.b price are these international sites in japan legit? and will the car be legal here, what would i have to get changed on the car?

·
Registered
98 RBP Coupe, '94 White Wagon
257 Posts
They are not usually legal here in the states. There a few minor exceptions but no Imprezas that I know of. Most of them are very legit opperations but you need to read the fine print for the FOB destination. It's usually only the nearest international port.

Which website are you looking at?

·
HERO DEEP!!!
Lt. Dan the 2000 OBS
756 Posts
I used to do all this stuff, and its not even worth it anymore. Plus the govt is cracking down hardcore on whole vehicles.... you wont see one that cheap in your driveway OP. I can get them, but you'd be around an 04 STi's price tag.... 17-22k

·
Premium Member
95 EJ205(WRB), & 02 R6
1,906 Posts
I live 30 mins from mexico.

I hear if you get them shipped to mexico you can just drive them back.

I was looking into getting one for the track, wouldn't care if it was legal or not as i wont drive it on the street.

·
Registered
1998,2.5rs,RED
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a local shop to me called IAG( were i bought my rs) has just recieved a sick 1995 sti from japan, i do not know how, heard it was from a guy that buys them and gets them shipped here. any way they said they dont think they are going to be able to make it street legal. i know you would need to get at least a new windshield and cat back exhaust, what else would need to be done?

·
HERO DEEP!!!
Lt. Dan the 2000 OBS
756 Posts
japan-partner isnt an importer, they just sell cars. This has been gone over so much on just about every forum, its VERY expensive and no you cant just ship them to mexico or canada and drive them over.

·
Registered
1998,2.5rs,RED
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
japan-partner isnt an importer, they just sell cars. This has been gone over so much on just about every forum, its VERY expensive and no you cant just ship them to mexico or canada and drive them over.
it says on the site for shipping cost to get it on the east cost it is 2800 and that is not expensive to me so? what i am more concerned about is making it legal to drive.

·
Registered
2003 Outback Sedan H6
2,274 Posts
There's more to it than that. You have to worry about VIN numbers, emissions, etc. Federal law for the most part prohibits JDM cars from being imported. Some state laws are more lax, especially in FL and a few other southern states, but even then there's some shady things that have to happen, which can and will cost you a lot of money, in order to "legalize" a JDM GC8, and even then its never truly going to be 50 state legal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts