Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Ex-Mooderator
2001 RSTi, 2011 WRX Hatch
3,244 Posts

So I finally put the spray nozzles on my splitter and I find that the spray just hits the splitter and drips down into the IC...

Should I look at bending the sprayer mounts down a tad to try and get the spray angled downward to hit the IC itself?

I'm not sure what happens while at speed, may not be an issue there, but it is an issue when sitting idle and trying to prevent heatsoak.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1998 RSTi
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #63

So I finally put the spray nozzles on my splitter and I find that the spray just hits the splitter and drips down into the IC...

Should I look at bending the sprayer mounts down a tad to try and get the spray angled downward to hit the IC itself?

I'm not sure what happens while at speed, may not be an issue there, but it is an issue when sitting idle and trying to prevent heatsoak.

Thoughts?
Which nozzles did you put in there? Washer nozzles and IC spray nozzles are very different so it might be the nozzle itself.

·
Ex-Mooderator
3,244 Posts
I used the subaru IC nozzles you had listed.

86636FA120 2 $ 9.86 NOZZLE-INTER COOLER

·
Registered
99'RS w/EJ205, 16'340i 13'Volt
969 Posts
I bought my splitter and nozzles direct from Iwire and after sorting out reservoir pump issues the spray pattern is correct with no dribbling. Of course that doesn't help your situation except that you might have a isolated issue

·
Registered
1998 RSTi
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I bought my splitter and nozzles direct from Iwire and after sorting out reservoir pump issues the spray pattern is correct with no dribbling. Of course that doesn't help your situation except that you might have a isolated issue
I used the subaru IC nozzles you had listed.

86636FA120 2 $ 9.86 NOZZLE-INTER COOLER
I misread what you wrote (and I think Spec R did as well). I was under the impression it was just dribbling, but what's happening is that they are hit the diverter in the center. They are designed to mimic the V5/6 OEM sprayers which very well may do the same thing but I don't have one to test. Do you still have your STi we could verify with?

Certainly it would work much better with the car moving, but I do see your point about the heatsoak while sitting.

·
Ex-Mooderator
3,244 Posts
I misread what you wrote (and I think Spec R did as well). I was under the impression it was just dribbling, but what's happening is that they are hit the diverter in the center. They are designed to mimic the V5/6 OEM sprayers which very well may do the same thing but I don't have one to test. Do you still have your STi we could verify with?

Certainly it would work much better with the car moving, but I do see your point about the heatsoak while sitting.
I don't have an STI splitter to verify with. I previously sourced different fogger nozzles and had rigged up my own solution that provided good coverage. I may have to investigate either slightly bending the splitter where the nozzles mount, or source different nozzles with a different pattern.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1998 RSTi
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I don't have an STI splitter to verify with. I previously sourced different fogger nozzles and had rigged up my own solution that provided good coverage. I may have to investigate either slightly bending the splitter where the nozzles mount, or source different nozzles with a different pattern.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Next time I get my hands on an STi here I'll check the spray pattern. I was thinking we may try to fab up a conical washer type setup that would raise the nozzle a touch and allow it to aim down for better coverage. Simply bending it slightly as you mentioned might be effective as well.

any plans for v1/2 slanty application?
No need since Subaru makes these from the factory with a pretty neat little chimney for the turbo to evacuate heat.

·
Registered
1998 RSTi
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
61 - 75 of 75 Posts