Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
00' 2.5Rs
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gentlemen, ok thats BS sup guys.. to start off this will be my first attempt at a subaru swap.(only previous knowledge was a Honda Prelude swap) i have an opportunity to nab a 99 JDM WRX STI front cut from a buddy. from what ive been reading depending on if it was a wagon or not it could be an EJ20K or an EJ207 correct? regardless of which motor i get, i plan on replacing the Bearings and HG (and more than likely the Head Studs) i own a 00' 2.5Rs that is currently on the operating table... awaiting this transplant. i know i will need a harness merge, and more than likely a Stand Alone ECU for the motor to run properly on this Jungle Juice we call fuel here in the states... ive been up and down the forum and over at NASIOC plenty of HElpful Threads but alot of Arguing over motors mostly...how would this 99 motor sit in my 00 body? opinions? criticism? help? insight on what im missing for this swap?

·
Registered
2001 D2 A8L
929 Posts
If you have the front cut then you don't need to worry about how it will sit. Just swap over the crossmember along with the motor. This will make it a direct drop-in. Not sure which motor it will be though. Welcome to the Subie swap world!

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
99 STi will be EJ207 whether it's a coupe, sedan or hatch. Swap the crossmember, merge the harness, swap engine, use rotella t6 oil, fill up with 93oct and enjoy. A standalone isn't absolutely necessary IMO but you'll make more power with one. Rebuilding isn't completely necessary either. I would tear it down and measure the bearings before just tossing them. I put an even older EJ20G shortblock (closed deck & oil squirters) between my 99 EJ207 heads and the OEM bearings were perfect.

·
Registered
Turbo, LS swapped Impreza RS
5,172 Posts
Also dependent on your location getting an inspection sticker for a jdm swapped can can prove to be a challenge.

·
Registered
00' 2.5Rs
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
To address the inspection sticker point, i can take care of that. i appreciate the input guys. i will most likely get the cut sometime late this month. check back around then as i will probably make a swap progress thread! also the car is a 98! my bad. would that still be a 207?

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
98's have phase 1 EJ20K's

·
Registered
00' 2.5Rs
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
98's have phase 1 EJ20K's
so is procedure still the same? my friend who thinks hes a know it all for Subarus is telling me its not worth it. but he has a high hp mindset....the car im aiming to build will be a DD and light auto cross. with the occasional night out to romp on the town... im thinking just full bolt ons and a tune and im set. ive been reading the 20K is a solid motor with plenty of oomf... i know getting replacement parts is going to be a pain, but isnt that just digging around and finding part numbers that cross over properly? and if i break the motor down and make sure its solid/and or replace the bearings HG and head studs it should be a reliable little monster shouldnt it?

·
Registered
95/99 Brighton STi
2,945 Posts
Yep same procedure and of course it's worth it. For a while it seemed like once a week an EJ20k was spinning a bearing on the forum but there are plenty of people that have had great luck (and fun) with the EJ20K. I can't say it enough, use rotella t6 synthetic oil.

You've got it right when it comes to replacing parts.

Like I said before, tearing it down isn't completely necessary either but that's up to you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts