Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So I drive a jdm 98 STI Type-R V-Limited, and whenever I have the car in max RWD (75 rear/25 front), the car drives fine no issues. The closer I put it to 50/50 the more issues I have with:
1. The transmission whines a lot when putting the clutch in and when downshifting without pressing the gas

2. When turning at slow speeds the inside rear wheel will hop as if the differential is locked, and occasionally the front will do the same thing.

Any advice would be appreciated, thank you

Registered
'01 BRP GM6
How are the diff/trans fluids? Sorry if it sounds like a miniscule question, but even seeing the condition, as well as the level, can tell you a lot of things. Good luck, bud! 馃敟馃馃従

Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
Is this a change from before? Because this sounds like what mine did. Also, to clarify, the transmission is permanently 37:63% split. Adjusting the lock doesn't change that. The lock changes how much the front or rear is allowed to "slip" compared to the other end. Therefore on full lock, I would expect the transmission to hop around corners. It is designed for loose surfaces only, and you can and will burn up the center diff by "locking" on pavement, eventually.

The inspiration for my first build on my RSTi:
(bad for the center diff!)

Reactions: RA_Really

Registered
'01 BRP GM6
@mike-tracy that's dooooope.. straight hoon, haha. I would probably do that on slippery surfaces though lol. Same for my build, I wanted to get alil slidey-boi action every here and there

1 - 6 of 6 Posts