Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I've been looking for a California smogged, swapped coupe with AC for a while now and haven't had much luck. I see most swapped coupes seem to be going for around $12k-$15k. So I'm wondering if I'm crazy for even considering $25k just for a BAR label and AC.

·
Registered
2000 OBSTi
512 Posts
"It's only worth what you are willing to pay." lol. With that being said, I think it is AT LEAST 15k over-priced. I don't know anything about the process about it getting the BAR sticker, but I wouldn't even be interested in that car at 20k.
Have to agree.
With 180k+ on the chassis, that ad is light on a few pictures and at least a hundred words. Maybe the whole car is rebuilt, but zero mention of any suspension/brakes in the ad makes me believe the car is mostly show. I'm probably wrong, but if you're asking that big a number, you mention ALL the positives.

·
Registered
1999 Impreza L
571 Posts

I've been looking for a California smogged, swapped coupe with AC for a while now and haven't had much luck. I see most swapped coupes seem to be going for around $12k-$15k. So I'm wondering if I'm crazy for even considering $25k just for a BAR label and AC.
EJ255 and 5spd?

Hard pass.

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
88 Posts
Considering there's nothing overly impressive about that car, absolutely it's overpriced. lol Not low miles, no super rare parts, no real draw to it. Hard pass

·
Registered
'00 RS / V5 STI
620 Posts
Until someone else here has gotten a car through BAR, I really wouldn't chime in on pricing on a CA Legal car.

Go ahead and read my journal, it'll run you through how to do it. Put simply, every part at the time of inspection has to be from the donor chassis. Turbo, up pipe, down pipe, intercooler, intake manifold, mid pipe, muffler.... everything. You can't just slap an EJ205 with a VF37 and a cat back in there and walk through, they will look at every little detail - from injectors to vacuum lines, they have to be OEM (that is to say, not even silicone lines will pass). They will look up the stamped serial numbers on your exhaust and cats. They will look for the 3rd cat + EGT in the up pipe on a 2002/2003 swap. On average it takes around 3-4 visits to get it through the BAR ref.

More recently, they now require you to have proof from the dealership that the map on the ECU is stock and unmodified. Good luck getting a dealership to run that test to verify, and who knows how much it costs.

Is it worth 30k? That's up to the buyer. But almost every swapped GC, that's legal, in CA, tend to sell for 18-25k. At least that's what I've seen over the last ~5 years. 18K seems to be the going rate for 250k + miles and EJ205, and 25k on a very clean, lower-mile EJ257 swap with 6 speed and other goodies thrown in. But I would expect these numbers to climb up - getting through the BAR is becoming even more difficult, and finding a GC shell is becoming more difficult.

-TC

·
Super Moderator
2000 RSTi
1,239 Posts
Nice perspectives. It sounds expensive, and probably is. It's comparable in price to a new WRX - I think I know which one we'd all rather own.

If I had the scratch, and didn't have the space or skills to swap a car myself, and it had to be BAR legal, AND I didn't want to wait 6-9-12+ months for another BAR'd car to show up, I'd def consider it.

OTOH, for better or worse it's a project car: OP, can you afford to drop $30k on a project? Fix it yourself when stuff breaks?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appreciate all the opinions guys!. He actually had it listed at $25k when I first posted so it'll be a hard pass at $30k for me...
I'm not in a THAT huge of a rush so I'll keep looking around California until something new pops up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
why are you guys shooting yourselves in the foot and devaluing the car? Wouldn't you guys want this to be marketed high? Sounds like people complaining don't even own these cars lol

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
197 Posts
why are you guys shooting yourselves in the foot and devaluing the car? Wouldn't you guys want this to be marketed high? Sounds like people complaining don't even own these cars lol
I'm shooting myself in the foot for the same reason I point out when people are selling used OEM parts for more than you can buy them new from Subaru. I'm here because I love my car, and presumably, I'm never selling it. Why would I want someone who wants to join our community to over-pay for the car? I've met a bunch of cool people on these forums who have offered knowledge for free, parts for cheap, and support when not even asked for it. Owning cars is an expensive hobby, but this place makes it a little less expensive.

And if I ever sell my car, I would be much, much more concerned with who is buying it rather than how much I am selling it for. I'd rather sell my car for $6,000 to someone who is going to love it and respect it than to sell it for $10,000 to someone who is going to put 19" wheels on it and run 10 degrees of camber.

·
Registered
6 Posts
People who can afford $6,000 cars tend to be people who are not of mature age, whereas people who can spend $30,000 are on the older/mature side. I don't see your point.

·
Registered
MY00 //// BRP 2.5RS coupe
3,369 Posts
Not to mention pretty much new paint job, those are going for 7-8k in CA, pretty much perfect body.

·
Registered
1995 1.8L Impreza Coupe
88 Posts
We're not shooting ourselves in the foot, we're decent people who don't want to see someone overspend unnecessarily. We're not going to openly lie to someone because "oh, it makes my personal car worth more because here's an example of a car similar to mine that sold across the country for an unreasonable sum", that's not what we do here. How are we supposed to help each other with vehicle issues if we can't trust each other to be honest? If you look at the posts before yours, I think you'd notice that all of them were informative in one way or another on WHY it was or wasn't worth the price. Also, I'd be willing to bet that the majority of people who were (in your words) "complaining" either own, or have owned, at least one of these cars.

MD's point was that this forum is not about increasing the value of these cars; this forum exists to preserve the information on how to own, operate, maintain, and modify this specific vehicle chassis.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We're not shooting ourselves in the foot, we're decent people who don't want to see someone overspend unnecessarily. We're not going to openly lie to someone because "oh, it makes my personal car worth more because here's an example of a car similar to mine that sold across the country for an unreasonable sum", that's not what we do here. How are we supposed to help each other with vehicle issues if we can't trust each other to be honest? If you look at the posts before yours, I think you'd notice that all of them were informative in one way or another on WHY it was or wasn't worth the price. Also, I'd be willing to bet that the majority of people who were (in your words) "complaining" either own, or have owned, at least one of these cars.

MD's point was that this forum is not about increasing the value of these cars; this forum exists to preserve the information on how to own, operate, maintain, and modify this specific vehicle chassis.
You sound upset

·
They call me Garrett
98 RBP V4 STi Swapped RS
4,135 Posts

👀

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.