Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
1994 Aegean L, 1998 Panda!
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read that its hard to shift into 1st at anything above 10-15 MPH and you can try but it whines. If this wine normal because I have such a whine.
While we're at it, why when my car is moving and I have the clutch petal down there is a rattling sound?

·
Registered
2007 STI
408 Posts
The rattling sound is the heat sheilds on your exhaust. Mine does the same thing. If it really bothers you take it to a muffler shop and they should be able to re-weld them.

As far as the whining I'm not sure I've never down shifted into 1st gear. I just coast to a stop or start in 2nd if I'm moving.

·
Registered
2005 RSC
1,131 Posts
there's really no point in shifting into 1st until you're stopped. the gear is pretty short. Shifting to 1st for 10 yards then shifting back to second is likely slower than just staying in 2nd. Otherwise just stay out of 1st unless you're pulling out from a dead stop or a very slow roll. I've shifted to 1st before and yes mine makes a whine too.

+1 on heat shield; I have the same problem.

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs BDP
2,079 Posts
ChrisRT said:
I have read that its hard to shift into 1st at anything above 10-15 MPH and you can try but it whines. If this wine normal because I have such a whine.
While we're at it, why when my car is moving and I have the clutch petal down there is a rattling sound?

10-15mph??? dang if you can get into first at those speeds then you're lucky. Sometimes i can't even get into first without rev matching at 5 mph. Not to mention when i'm at a dead stand still at a light and i shift into first sorta quickly it gives me a very unpleasant grind.

Dear Subaru,
Love your cars, but hate your trannys.

Love,
Subaru Community

·
Registered
2015 WRX
2,350 Posts
My RA tranny is pretty good about shifting into 1st while moving, much more so than the L or RS boxes I've had. My tranny is weird though... it responds much better when being man handled. Granny shifting makes it mad.

·
Banned
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
scoobaroo said:
10-15mph??? dang if you can get into first at those speeds then you're lucky. Sometimes i can't even get into first without rev matching at 5 mph. Not to mention when i'm at a dead stand still at a light and i shift into first sorta quickly it gives me a very unpleasant grind.

Dear Subaru,
Love your cars, but hate your trannys.

Love,
Subaru Community

Hey, you have to try "Uncle scotties" cocktail tranny mix. It will help you a whole lot!

Also, thank you everyone for responding.

·
Registered
01 STM RS EJ257, 6MT, Brembos
2,029 Posts
if you double clutch from second to first it should go in perfectly, but you have to zing the motor a fair amount.

·
Registered
1999 Subaru Impreza 2.5rs BDP
2,079 Posts
yeah can someone please send me the ingredients for this uncle scotties cocktail plz???? i don't want to search i have to study.

·
Banned
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
scoobaroo said:
yeah can someone please send me the ingredients for this uncle scotties cocktail plz???? i don't want to search i have to study.

1qt redline lightweight shockproof (the badass stuff!)
1qt synchromesh (GM/Penzoil/XXX are all the same, just use some Syncromesh)
2qt Castrol HypoyC 80w-90 (I used 1 qt of Lucas heavy gear oil due to not being able to find the Castrol)

If you can't find the Redline oil go to their site and search for a retailer.
Go to AutoZone/NAPA/PartsAmerica/Schucks for syncromesh and the lucas or HypoyC.

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,262 Posts
I can put it into first in my RS tranny. Just hold it there for a bit, let the syncro WHINE the gear to match the input shaft speed. The whining is the syncro.

but then 15mins ago I just lost 2nd gear..... rolled into boost while in 2nd and CRUNCH!! lolz

·
Registered
681 Posts
When I need first in my L I double clutch and just jam it in really hard, the gears grind a bit but then she shifts, I just drive it like a dog box. I can lay down a good 6" of rubber to if I rev it up to 4-5K and drop it. I run a fully metallic 6 puck un-sprung center clutch “it does not slip”

I guess I should also point out that it is a rally car and I run legacy 5 speeds which I can get for around $30, so if I brake it no big deal, amazingly I have yet to brake the transmission.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
First gear isn't synchronized, so you shouldn't shift into first while the car is moving. You can double-clutch it, but why go to the trouble on the street?

·
Registered
sold it to Susie the Subie
3,233 Posts
I didn't read anything above, but the wine is normal, I have shifted into 1st before around 10mph or less and it's normal (assuming your wine sounds like a slowing down wine kind of like the wine from reverse). Not sure what it means, but I've been in other
cars that do this too, even brand new ones.

·
Registered
MY99 GF4 EJ227 JDM 6spd
5,262 Posts
Evilclown said:
First gear isn't synchronized, so you shouldn't shift into first while the car is moving. You can double-clutch it, but why go to the trouble on the street?
hA! my syncro whine just fine. I can sticks it into 1st at 35mph!! muahaha Let it wine! It will go in. I can brake boost in fist...14psi FTW!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts