Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1995 Impreza L / 2001 2.5 RS
87 Posts
Not being stereotypical or anything but anything that's been modified, "fixed", then sold, unless you know the person, has probably been beat on (In my own personnaly experience). Hence the new motor at 159K on a single owner maybe? I prefeer un-molested vehicles myself but just make sure you do a thurough test drive and overview on the car before you fork over the dough.

-just my .02

·
Registered
00 2.5RS White
62 Posts
my car was 5500 asking and he had an offer for 4500 but we had to beat it, so we offered 4700 ;) I've seen people talk down sellers 2k...no lie. someone here on the forum did that...i think in the "how much did you guys pay for your RS?" Thread. (Sorry no link...)
I low balled mine when i bought it 2 weeks ago. He wanted 4500 car is immaculate minus the one wheel bearing that's fixed now. but i told him i'd give him 3K cash that day... And now i have it lol

My only thought on this AD would be why is the motor replaced at 150K miles...?

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,571 Posts
Don't forget to LOW BALL! It may be the correct price but private sellers you can almost always get the price lower
Good call, offend the seller so he won't want to deal with you. :blowingup

OP, if he's really got the paperwork for the maintenance to match the car, I'd consider it to be a pretty good deal. The only thing I'd be weary of is what appears to be the start of some quarter panel rust there.

That said, RS's are incredibly rare in the Chicago area, as I'm sure you're now aware. Weigh that with your decision :)

·
Registered
2001 Aspen White 2.5rs
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I talked to the guy on the phone. It was previosuly a one car owner. The previous owner replaced the timing belt but didnt do the tensioner and eventually it failed and the valves bent. The next owner (the guy who has it now) decided to rebuild everything while the motor was being fixed (honed, bigger pistons, new valves etc.) He also said there is no rust. But yes i will try to talk the price down more. Does $4500 sound like a good price?

·
Registered
00 2.5RS White
62 Posts
If he takes 4500 than go for it. Here's the thing i've purchased enough cars and i'm sure some people would agree... if you go to sell a car you're going to list it higher than KBB just because you would love to get extra cash. I'd say 90% of people do it. You can either hit him with something reasonable or go extreame low and work your way up. Or just ask him the lowest he'd go and give a little under.

It doesn't insult him. Maybe if it was a highly modifed car like a TT Supra and you low balled a guy on that i can imagine a little frustration by the seller but if the guy only wants 5K see how much you could save and with that get performance.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5RS BRP
3,571 Posts
I talked to the guy on the phone. It was previosuly a one car owner. The previous owner replaced the timing belt but didnt do the tensioner and eventually it failed and the valves bent. The next owner (the guy who has it now) decided to rebuild everything while the motor was being fixed (honed, bigger pistons, new valves etc.) He also said there is no rust. But yes i will try to talk the price down more. Does $4500 sound like a good price?
The last BRP RS in the Chicagoland area sold for around $7K without any of the maintenance listed. I would say somewhere between his asking price and $4500 is good. If you offer lower than $4500, that would be offensive.

If he takes 4500 than go for it. Here's the thing i've purchased enough cars and i'm sure some people would agree... if you go to sell a car you're going to list it higher than KBB just because you would love to get extra cash. I'd say 90% of people do it. You can either hit him with something reasonable or go extreame low and work your way up. Or just ask him the lowest he'd go and give a little under.

It doesn't insult him. Maybe if it was a highly modifed car like a TT Supra and you low balled a guy on that i can imagine a little frustration by the seller but if the guy only wants 5K see how much you could save and with that get performance.
This only works on people who absolutely need to get rid of a car. The last car I sold was for my asking price, and if you tried a lowball offer or the "wats the lowst u will go so i can lowball you further" game with me that would be the end of our conversation.

·
'MURRICA!
Hybrid Camry
5,700 Posts
If no one has said it yet, it looks like he's got some rear 1/4 rust going on. You can use that to bargain with as it's a couple hundred per side to fix.

Also, he doesn't say anything about the wheel bearings, so assume those are bad too.

His bumper vents are the wrong color.

His AC is missing??!!! That's a real big price break right there.

·
Registered
00 2.5RS White
62 Posts
This only works on people who absolutely need to get rid of a car. The last car I sold was for my asking price, and if you tried a lowball offer or the "wats the lowst u will go so i can lowball you further" game with me that would be the end of our conversation.[/QUOTE]

Well thats why you do most of it in person. If i tried to negotiate a price i'd have cash in hand... "CASH TALKS" as everyone says. Its not hard to show you your asking price than and there even if you were pissed off about it.

I know this is an odd discussion but in reality alot of people will go lower if presented with cash. The other half like you, and i'd say for myself, is i'll sit on a car for months until the right price is given.

For the buyers sake in this post if you can save a little cash why not try it. If they want to get rid of it bad enough than theres always play.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.