Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 jdm wrx type r
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so..continuing from http://www.rs25.com/forums/f128/195738-ej20k-rod-knock-rebuild-need-options-help-4.html

i bought another sti engine from japan...and 3000 km later it started overheating...stopped and found cooling system to have only 2Lish of coolant left.

refilled the system..continued driving and it never leaked...then i found out it only leaked under high revs/boost so i had the cooling system pressured tested...

found the radiator was pissing coolant at 1 bar, replaced radiator

car still pissed coolant under high revs/boost... thought it was headgasket

garage diagnosed to be the headgasket as well so they took engine apart and found...the bolts that hold down the cams were loose, after they took out the bolts coolant sprayed on them somehow

then... the engine block

so now, they have concluded one head is warped, one head is cracked and the engine block shouldn't be used

they found another ej20k sti engine for me already but which parts you guys think are reusable for a further engine build?

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
3 main things determine if a block is reusable - they all require it to be taken apart (pistons out, crank out)

In no particular order, laymans terms

A) Main area where crank bearings will sit are not warped/cracked/gouged

B) Block is not cracked, either obviously or not. A process called magnaflux-ing will determine if there are any cracks

C) are cylinder bores obviously gouged. Needs to be measured, because some level can be solved via re-boring, but you can only go so far between this area becomes too thin. While aftermarket sleeves are available as well, it's a time consuming process to properly do this job and many places won't touch the work

With all this $ and time you're tossing at used blocks, perhaps it's time to look into building a proper motor starting with new components.

·
Registered
1998 jdm wrx type r
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
3 main things determine if a block is reusable - they all require it to be taken apart (pistons out, crank out)

In no particular order, laymans terms

A) Main area where crank bearings will sit are not warped/cracked/gouged

B) Block is not cracked, either obviously or not. A process called magnaflux-ing will determine if there are any cracks

C) are cylinder bores obviously gouged. Needs to be measured, because some level can be solved via re-boring, but you can only go so far between this area becomes too thin. While aftermarket sleeves are available as well, it's a time consuming process to properly do this job and many places won't touch the work

With all this $ and time you're tossing at used blocks, perhaps it's time to look into building a proper motor starting with new components.
block is completely apart now...doubt theres any magnafluxing around my area

crank bearings and crank look fine... cylinder bores aren't gouged at all
the original honing is still on cylinder walls

but what worries me is the white stuff on the water jackets of the block and since it was overheating enough to crack one cylinder head and since the block is pretty much made out of the same material, is it still wise to risk it

z1 you are right, i have thought about a built engine but after talking to the people that do it around here... i don't trust them at all

however, the price of getting a new engine built from another country and shipped is way out of my budget.

subarus around hong kong are pretty cheap because of engine reliability and the lack of people with knowledge to fix them.. for the price of a complete built engine, i can buy 2-3 gen 7 gda impreza or one gen 8 gda impreza

if the engine goes again, i am seriously considering scrapping the car and stay away from subaru forever

or maybe i should learn how to drive

·
Banned
4,438 Posts
the problem isn't Subaru....there are hundreds of thousands of em on the road, and they happen to be extremely reliable

learning how to work on em yourself, or, finding the right mechanic who at least knows his way around his engine, is worth it's weight in gold - and that holds true whether you have a Subaru, or a BMW, or a Ferrari, or anything else with 4 tires and an engine

while building an engine and shipping might be a bit more money, it will ensure that you don't keep tossing funds into a bottomless pit of used parts from unreliable sources

1 - 4 of 4 Posts