Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1994 Aegean L, 1998 Panda!
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know if this kind of driving is bad for the car. I don't mean the common yeah, it isn't good so it must be bad. I mean is this kind of driving particularly bad for the frame, engine, tranny, clutch and other parts?

1. Taking the car from o-~20mph in 1st gear while gunning it going to ~5800RPM( both when cold or hot). (will I blow a head gasket?)

2. gunning it while in any gear.

3. WOT (throttle gunned) going 20MPH while in 5th gear, the car cannot really accelerate and shakes/ vibrates.

4. Driving for extended periods of time at ~3000RPM in any gear.

Can any or most of you guys point out for each question your opinion including what part it may be bad for?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Why are you asking this? These are odd senarios...

1. If you are going to drive hard, bring you oil up to temp. Driving hard on a cold engine is bad for it. Yes, you can blow a HG over time.

2. No this is fine.

3. Bad for the clutch, you are bogging the engine, which isn't great... why would you do this, change gear, idiot.

4. Are you serious? Highway driving... I cruise at 3000rpm at 70mph...

It seems that the part that needs replacing in your car is the driver.

·
Banned
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hatchbuilder said:
Why are you asking this? These are odd senarios...

1. If you are going to drive hard, bring you oil up to temp. Driving hard on a cold engine is bad for it. Yes, you can blow a HG over time.

2. No this is fine.

3. Bad for the clutch, you are bogging the engine, which isn't great... why would you do this, change gear, idiot.

4. Are you serious? Highway driving... I cruise at 3000rpm at 70mph...

It seems that the part that needs replacing in your car is the driver.
:lol: I feel the same way.

On # 3 I do downshift but it has(had) to shake for a sec so that I do know it cannot handle such a high gear at a low speed.

Hey, on #1 you mean that I should NOT really ever gun it or I'll risk a head gasket? How about the cylinders disintegrating?

·
Banned
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hatchbuilder said:
no... what I mean is, wait for your oil to get up to temp before driving hard.

and don't lug your engine.

easy

Got it... What is lug?

·
Registered
(Former STi owner)
15 Posts
Lug = that shaking you feel in 5th gear at 20mph. It places extremely high loads on the engine at places in the fuel and ignition curve that it wasn't designed for. You'll probably be safe enough, but it is extra wear and tear.

#1: Uh, beating on any car all the time will cause problems over time. But so will normal driving. Doing it cold is a bad idea... extra wear, and since our Subaru's are known for rear main bearing failure in stock form... That being said I did this quite a bit on a few cars and never had any problems.

#2: Not enough information. What RPM are you at? You're probably safe anyway, but refer to above on lugging the engine.

#3: Shift to 3rd.

#4: I put 80,000 miles on my STi, 60,000 of it was at 3000rpm in 6th gear. It ran better than most cars that get 80,000 miles cycling through gears (city driving).

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
1 - It's bad when the engine is cold. The oil can't flow well enough to keep up with piston velocity, so you run the risk of damaging your rings and scoring the cylinder walls. When the engine is at operating temp, it's not bad. In fact, it does an engine good to see redline occasionally.

2 - Nah, as long as the engine is warm.

3 - Very hard on your clutch. Since 5th gear doesn't multiply torque sufficiently to accelerate the car from 20mph, that shaking you feel is the clutch trying to hold on while the engine tries to accelerate.

4 - Not bad at all. If it were, cars wouldn't last nearly as long as they do, considering all the highway driving we do in this country.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
skyphix said:
#4: I put 80,000 miles on my STi, 60,000 of it was at 3000rpm in 6th gear. It ran better than most cars that get 80,000 miles cycling through gears (city driving).
+1. My 05 RS has 97,000 kms (about 60,000 miles) on it now, 90% of that is highway driving. Car runs like new.

As for the rest of the thread....if you "gun" it and the car goes, it was designed to do that. If you "gun" it and it lugs (like your 5th gear/20mph monentary retardation scenario) then you probably shouldn't do that. Is that so hard to figure out for yourself?

For me personally, I use 2000 rpm as my indicator. If I'm over 2k, I can probably go up another gear if I'm just cruising. If I'm under 2k, I need to downshift (at least one gear) if I plan to accelerate even moderately aggressively. And you should probably know your car well enough that you don't need to keep your eyes glued on the tach at all times....though in your case your car might thank you for hitting a pole.

·
Registered
This week: 2005 Legacy GT
1,014 Posts
This topic is hilarious. Why would you drive around flooring your car in 5th gear @ 20mph, while your car shakes and vibrates? LMAO, I keep picturing somebody driving around like that, and it cracks me up.

·
Registered
98 RBP Coupe, '94 White Wagon
257 Posts
boxcar said:
This topic is hilarious. Why would you drive around flooring your car in 5th gear @ 20mph, while your car shakes and vibrates? LMAO, I keep picturing somebody driving around like that, and it cracks me up.
I used to deal with stop and go traffic in third gear. Leave plenty of room in between me and the next car and gently slip the clucth at idle-800RPM and let it roll. I was driving a '78 280Z that had torque till the end of the earth but I don't know if it would work with a stock 2.5.

Uncle Jesse

·
Banned
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
boxcar said:

I love this place. Atleast you guys are honest, one couldn't say that about NASIOC.

I was trying to isolate a problem without speeding. I would throw it into high gear and gun it so I can see if my engine was misfiring. I later found out a better way to do so, spray water on the coil pack. Oh, and it wasn't fun. Sounds like a Model T when it misfires.

·
Registered
2010 Hyundai Genesis 2.0T
45 Posts
one the first one, the reason you don't want to drive hard while the engine is cold is because there is so much oil pressure that it bypasses the oil filter rather than risk blowing the seals on it untill the engine warms up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts