Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a clean back up/ project car, I found a 1997 Brighton and dont really know much about them. I really wanted a 5 speed manual but this one is an automatic and the owner wants $1500 for it. It looks clean with the exception of sleight rust building up on rear wheel wells.

Pasteboard - Uploaded Image

I only worked on mazda miatas, but I always liked the idea of a 2 door coupe and these GC8s are pretty rare and sought after. Any further advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you want a stickshift Id wait for a stickshift. 97 is a crossover year and has some elements of 93-96 and 98-01 cars so it’s good to keep that in mind as well. 97 was the last year of the Brighton model. I bought my last 3 RS’s for $1500-$2000 to put things into perspective. Two were 5spd as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you want a stickshift Id wait for a stickshift. 97 is a crossover year and has some elements of 93-96 and 98-01 cars so it’s good to keep that in mind as well. 97 was the last year of the Brighton model. I bought my last 3 RS’s for $1500-$2000 to put things into perspective. Two were 5spd as well.
Where is this? because the cleanest RS by me is going for $7000 (Long Island, NY)

·
Registered
00 RS cpe, 01 RS cpe, 05 3.0 R
138 Posts
I am looking for a clean back up/ project car, I found a 1997 Brighton and dont really know much about them. I really wanted a 5 speed manual but this one is an automatic and the owner wants $1500 for it. It looks clean with the exception of sleight rust building up on rear wheel wells.

Pasteboard - Uploaded Image

I only worked on mazda miatas, but I always liked the idea of a 2 door coupe and these GC8s are pretty rare and sought after. Any further advice would be appreciated.
$1500 for a Brighton sounds very interesting to me . What do you want it for ? As a daily driver or a Miata replacement ? If as a commuter, the automatic is easy to live with. So many inter changeable parts , could be a fun project . Regarding cheap RS `s , I bought my 2000 RS coupe 10 years ago ( 86,000 miles then ) for $7000 . Needed nothing , still doesn`t . I bought my 2001 RS ( 85,000 miles at the time ) 2 years ago, and have spend $4000 + since getting it right. Most RS owners know what they have, have an idea what they are worth.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$1500 for a Brighton sounds very interesting to me . What do you want it for ? As a daily driver or a Miata replacement ? If as a commuter, the automatic is easy to live with. So many inter changeable parts , could be a fun project . Regarding cheap RS `s , I bought my 2000 RS coupe 10 years ago ( 86,000 miles then ) for $7000 . Needed nothing , still doesn`t . I bought my 2001 RS ( 85,000 miles at the time ) 2 years ago, and have spend $4000 + since getting it right. Most RS owners know what they have, have an idea what they are worth.
I have always liked how the gc8 coupes look, I would like it as a reliable summer daily, but something I can also have fun with. As I drive a large amount of miles to get back and forth to work I need something that can roll with punches and I love how its all wheel drive. The guy stopped writing back to me and said he's got someone coming for $1500 and in order for me to get the car I'd have to pay $1800 I'm a bit perturbed by this but just want to know if this is a decent price. Guy claims the car is sound and no mechanical problems with 120k miles on the clock.

·
Registered
00 RS cpe, 01 RS cpe, 05 3.0 R
138 Posts
Sounds to me a bit sketchy that the price is changing . Unless this car is in very good shape, I would not get into a bidding war over it . Are you desperate for transportation, or just looking ? This is not the optimum time to look for a AWD vehicle. If not urgent, be patient. I agree , I like the coupes in particular, but the first gen 4 doors are appealing also. If you are in NJ , you are close enough to PA to expand your search there . And again, IMO, a good condition car , though more expensive to purchase, in the long run cheaper. Good luck .

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS
100 Posts
He probably has 20 people interested in it, so now he is pulling the "somebody already claimed it, but if you want to give me $300 more, you can have it" just to drive the price up. My stubbornness would make me say " f' that guy." But I could be wrong. I actually saw the posting and am in the same area as you, and I honestly would consider buying it if I didn't already have too many cars and if the guy wasn't playing games like it appears he is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just really want a two door coupe with little to no rust. Willing to pay $3000-$4000 for a VERY GOOD conditioned car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He probably has 20 people interested in it, so now he is pulling the "somebody already claimed it, but if you want to give me $300 more, you can have it" just to drive the price up. My stubbornness would make me say " f' that guy." But I could be wrong. I actually saw the posting and am in the same area as you, and I honestly would consider buying it if I didn't already have too many cars and if the guy wasn't playing games like it appears he is.
Apparently it’s still available

1 - 11 of 11 Posts