Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
because i just bought a 99 rs and was just wondering. Is it bad to leave them open because of water/dirt to hitting the engine?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
the engine is sealed. no worries.

as for opening them up, go ahead if you like. the vents do aide in cooling the engine bay when its hot, but without an intercooler to feed, the scoop doesn't do a whole lot, except if you modify a MY00-01 to have a ram air intake. you can't on your MY99 because of the MAF sensor. basically, i leave mine open during the spring, summer, and fall and then close them during the winter when i'm actually trying to keep the heat in the engine bay.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
they're just an accessory unless you have a turbo...
they aren't really going to aid you in anything by removing the backing plates...

the 2.5 RS we have is based off of the JPN/UK spec turbo cars... they just left the design as is and installed the scoops as we dont have turbos....

so unless you enjoy cleaning your engine often...
leave the backing plates where they are... ;)
that's my take on it anyway...
cheers
Jamie
www.subiegalracing.com

·
Scoobymods Guy
2010 Legacy 3.6R Limited
1,157 Posts
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58&highlight=Hood+vent+spacers

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60&highlight=Hood+scoop

If you look at the above links those mods will allow air in but keep out rain and dirt for the most part. I took real time temps under the hood and removing the plates keeps the motor cooler by washing air over it. As stated air comes in the scoop, and out the front vents. The second air box (aka torque box) will get heat soak after a while and raise the intake air temp. Opening the scoop keeps it cool.

Peaty

Silver 2K RS Coupe
1,864 Posts
I have had my plates off for a long time and underhood temps do indeed stay lower.

Only problem I have had is clutch creak, which MAY be due to water washing away grease on the clutch slave or fork. A little lube and it's fixed, so I keep them off! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts