Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
SF6, paint code: murda-187
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's how it started...

drove a very hard left turn then right away a very quick slow-down/stop. since then, i've had a list of issues that followed, but i'll only talk about the nasty knock/grind when turning issue for now. i was on napa's $100 axles (not the $60 axles). they're the best non-OEM axles i've ever used.

anyway, i went and replaced them through warranty. still had the knock/grind issue. replaced them with some used, but good, OEM ones from my brother's car. still had the knock/grind issue. replaced them with some used, but good, OEM ones from my other car. still had the knock/grind issue. i just tried some used, but good, napa ones i still had laying around from my brother's car. idk how many more times i need to change the axles. i'm stumped. (note: each time i replaced them, i did the entire front pair as i always do.)

what else could it be? what does a bad front diff' sound/feel like? it's only when driving at like parking lot speeds that it happens. the pulse is more like: knock.......... knock.......... knock, and not a knock, knock, knock that i'm used to feeling with bad axles.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
^
thought that, too. though the wheel doesn't have any play when rocked side to side or knock/wobble at higher speeds like i'm used to feeling with bad wheel bearings, i figured i'd try replacing the whole hub & knuckle from my other car anyway. whenever i get the time to work on that, i'll report back.

(note: with the steering wheel turned just a couple inches from center, you can already start feeling how bad it is.)

(Sent from my Evo 3D via Tapatalk)

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,835 Posts
side to side wobble is a tie rod..inner or outer..

top to bottom wobble is bearings. bearings can be bad or going bad without having any feelable or noticeable wobble.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^
have already checked inner & outer tie rods for slack. they're good. plus, i can only suspect areas where the wheels are spinning and everything connected. i definitely want to work on the bearings when i get a chance. i think i'll probably just order some new bearings. i did my rears some few months ago along with the rear axles. it'd be nice to just have them all done.

(Sent from my Evo 3D via Tapatalk)

·
Baby❤Daddy
98L Wagon
27,835 Posts
CAN be side to side if you've let it go so damn long...and i was refering to front obviously. if you're paying attention to your car and not putting things off..such as taz is..it should only be up and down movement.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
forgot about this thread.

hmm.. not sure what i put off so long. if anything, i tend to do preventative maintenance often. it was something that just suddenly happened. as soon as it happened, the next thing i did was tackle the issue right away. started this thread at that same time.

things i've completed after those issues: i had ended up replacing both front bearings and both lower ball joints. then replaced both front inner and outer tie rods. finally, replaced tranny. i still get a faint knock but only when shutting the engine off. i think it's an issue with my rack. but i'll be upgrading it.

(Sent from my Android using Tapatalk)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.