Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not 100% sure, but I would think not. Seeing as how the WRC used to visit the good ole US of A back in the early to mid eightys. I would imagine that you probably had a few Americans getting to do those events.

I'll ask my know-it-all friends though tonight to get a definitive answer for you.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I talked with John Felstead at length about this, and he didn't seem to think there had been another American driver at the top level of the world championship. He wasn't sure about codrivers... anything's possible I guess.

·
Registered
796 Posts
We need to get another American to do this. I nominate pleiades (Steven Rankins) because he is the freaking best natural driver I have ever seen. Anyone who takes a Japanese Town Car and runs it against faster, better equipped, better handling cars, and consistently whips them like he does, deserves a shot at something big.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
direwlf said:
There are some north american drivers that should be running in the WRC...
like who? i suspect just about any american driver would get whooped in BRC, let alone WRC. please note, the current SCCA champion is a former BRC champion, and now there are several other former BRC champs in the series.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Patrick Richard, for one, has more than enough talent to make it in the WRC. Put him in a WRC and turn him loose, he would be right up there with the other young drivers IMO. he's got the potential, and I think if he got a shot at it he could go far.

As for the british drivers coming over here and cleaning up, you'll notice they are for the most part driving brand new and very high tech equipment, the likes of which only factory backed teams previously had access to (in some cases they are driving factory backed hardware *cough*subaru*cough*). So many rallies in europe were cancelled last year because of foot and mouth, they came over here to get their fixes :)

·
Registered
470 Posts
direwlf - I totally agree that Pat is capable of running in Europe. Perhaps not at full WRC level but he's up there for sure. I'd say if he went to the BRC he'd do well.

As for Brit drivers coming over and cleaning up, I bet if you stick them in a 2WD car they'd be winning. Having a well prepped car helps but I think those guys are conditioned for rallying better.

-mykr.

·
Registered
53 Posts
mykrrrr said:

As for Brit drivers coming over and cleaning up, I bet if you stick them in a 2WD car they'd be winning. Having a well prepped car helps but I think those guys are conditioned for rallying better.

-mykr.
Eh, its possible but debatable. Keeping in mind that most north american rallies don't let you do recces and the pace notes aren't super detailed, that proves to work to the advantage of the north american competitors. Maybe they are better drivers than most of the top tier north american teams but coming and using a system that results in them coming and driving the events virtually blind can be a significant handicap.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wow, this thread keeps coming back from the dead! i've created a monster :borg:

i'd have to agree with mykr. the britsh guys are all very, very good. lets face it, we now have several BRC champs in the ProRally. i don't think anyone would argue that over the past decade or so the ProRally has been the more competitive venue. even at the CRNC this year, there were *lots* of irish teams. guess who filled up most of the top positions. this isn't saying that there isn't domestic talent (there is), but that there is more foreign talent and thanks to hoof and mouth, alot of it is washing up on our shores, which is for the best, IMO.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Don't turn up the flames to hot. I was talking to a couple of my NASCAR buddies that are begining to watch the WRC on the Speed Channel. In their defense these guys all work on TV crews that cover CART, NASCAR, IRL and ALMS so they aren't uninformed. Anyway according to them, Robby Gordon went over to play in the snow with some of the WRC boys and did a good job of impressing them. He did manage to put the car over a snowbank after a coulpe hours of playing around. Personally, I would love to see an American manufacturer with American driver put some money behind a couple of US drivers and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
it wouldn't suprise me in the least. Robby Gordon has already proved himself in baja trucks and rally-x. however, i don't see ford giving up two world champions for him. maybe martin would get the boot. but they already have higgins in que. if he does get a ride, i expect it would be with skoda or hyundai, or one of the other lesser teams.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts