Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I'm a complete noob in the GC6 world, but definitely been around the block in the car and forum world. I daily drive and track a 1998 BMW M3 with stiff bushings, coilovers, fixed back seats, roll bar, etc. and am starting to have lots of issues driving the car year round. I sold my winter wheels and tires a few years back since there has been less snow around the Philly area recently, but these past 2 years have been hell for me since I've been on summer tires. For 1k, I can have a nice set of basic winter wheels and tires, but still not an amazing winter car, but I'm finding that for under 3k I can have a somewhat decent GC8 needing minor TLC. Would I be stupid to spend it on a GC8 instead to have a much more capable winter car that I can slowly modify into a nicer daily driver that is still capable of occasional track fun or am I better off sufficing with winter wheels for the next few years and then buying a newer WRX?

Pics of my M3 for fun and your help:D

·
Registered
'04 PSM WRX Premium
8,339 Posts
Welcome to the forum, nice BMW! Well, we don't really have GC8's here in the US. The GC means first generation sedan chassis. 4 means 2.2 liter engine, 6 means 2.5 liter engine... essentially a 4 would be an L and a 6 an RS.

With that said, would a GC6 work for ya?.. Yeah. It would be a good daily driver, good in snow, cheap parts, ability to upgrade all the way up to a full STI drivetrain if you want. Or just do suspension and braking with the stock 2.5 liter NA engine for the track. Whatever you have the time/money for.

Problem is, up here in PA, it's harder and harder to find a nice RS. I mean, the last one was made over 12 years ago. Most that are unmodified are high mileage and are really worn down. Other nice ones cost more than they're worth. Many modified ones can be riced out.

Go for an RS, but a Legacy might also work too. Maybe open up your searching to wagons too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum, nice BMW! Well, we don't really have GC8's here in the US. The GC means first generation sedan chassis. 4 means 2.2 liter engine, 6 means 2.5 liter engine... essentially a 4 would be an L and a 6 an RS.

With that said, would a GC6 work for ya?.. Yeah. It would be a good daily driver, good in snow, cheap parts, ability to upgrade all the way up to a full STI drivetrain if you want. Or just do suspension and braking with the stock 2.5 liter NA engine for the track. Whatever you have the time/money for.

Problem is, up here in PA, it's harder and harder to find a nice RS. I mean, the last one was made over 12 years ago. Most that are unmodified are high mileage and are really worn down. Other nice ones cost more than they're worth. Many modified ones can be riced out.

Go for an RS, but a Legacy might also work too. Maybe open up your searching to wagons too.
Ok, well that clears that up for me... I really would love an unmodified car, but the majority of the GC6s I see are fairly riced up or modified in a way that I dislike. I'm willing to get an RS or one of the standard ones (not sure on the name) and just focus on brakes and suspension since I do sell that stuff for a living for BMWs. I would consider expanding my search to Foresters, Legacys, etc. but I feel like I'd lose the fun of a small car. I know that in all honesty the car will have a roll bar welded in within a year of ownership, since I do like to track every car I own. Other than here, what outlets would you suggest for searching for one? Craigslist is awful and there is no SubaruCCA where as I have BMWCCA.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts