Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had any experiences with the iridium plugs over copper? I picked up at set of sparkco 9.2mm wires and was going to use ngk vpower plugs and then i started hearing things about iridium. Are iridiums the same as platinum just with a long life span?

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
from what i heard, just change your plugs more often. don't need to spend so much for spark plugs. how much for the iridiums spark plugs?

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
don't quote me on this as all things electrical make me cower in the corner, whimper, and wet myself, but i believe that copper gives a really good spark but doesn't last very long, platinum gives a good enough spark for daily grinding but not what you'd want to drive the car hard with but it lasts for a long ass time and prices reflect this, and that iridium takes the best of both (good spark, long life) and requires you to take out a loan.

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Copper: Excellent conductor, limited life, very low cost
Platinum: Mediocre conductor, long life, high cost
Iridium: Excellent conductor, long life, highest cost

For me, copper all the way. I've toasted Pt plugs and Cu plugs in the same time frame and its a lot cheaper to replace Cu plugs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Iridium just withstands corrosion longer than copper or platnum. Thats why most Iridum plugs come with a 250000 mile warranty. So they are better if you are using some type of aftermarket ignition system like MSD or something that actually sparks more than a regular ignition system.

Ziggy

1 - 6 of 6 Posts