Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 STM RS coupe
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna be ordering some Cusco coilovers soon. Going with the Zero2's or the Zero2R's. They're the same, except the R's have inverted dampers, but are almost $500 more. I understand inverted dampers are stronger, but are they that much better that they're worth that much more? I'm going to be running them mostly on the street and autox and as much track days as I can, if that makes a difference. Should I go for the 2R's or just the Zero 2's?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Gonna be ordering some Cusco coilovers soon. Going with the Zero2's or the Zero2R's. They're the same, except the R's have inverted dampers, but are almost $500 more. I understand inverted dampers are stronger, but are they that much better that they're worth that much more? I'm going to be running them mostly on the street and autox and as much track days as I can, if that makes a difference. Should I go for the 2R's or just the Zero 2's?

from what i can tell from riding motorcyle is that inverted fork is the shit. super sport bikes' front suspension are using this type of suspension design, before that they're not inverted.

·
project blackbird.
'01 RS, '81 Fiat Spider
3,396 Posts
If you aren't inverted, you won't be able to get a great Polaroid of your pilot giving the commie in the MiG the bird.

You know, the finger...?

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
You were in a 4-G Inverted dive with a MiG28? :D

As for inverted struts... I am NOT an expert on this subject. I can only regurgitate what I've read. One little titbit I seem to remember was that the added strength of the inverted design helps to reduce the friction and thus the heat build up when the struts are working really hard. Less heat, less chance of failure. But, I'm sure there is much much more to it than that.

·
Banned
4,588 Posts
I would choose Silk Roads over Cusco coilovers. I have Cusco's and they're okay. They're not as stiff as I want them to be. I will put them on a test at the next autocross and see how well they handle. Maybe I should've gotten JIC's instead.

·
Premium Member
2005 STI , 1998 Outback Sport
206 Posts
If I remember correctly they are better because they reduce unsprung weight, and all the fluid is stored in the piston rather then the strut body. And because of this design it does end up being stronger.

·
Registered
643 Posts
So its more of a strength / reliability thing then actual performance?

$500 now may save you that much in a rebuild later on.

·
Registered
2001 STM RS coupe
3,229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^ That's another thing I was thinking. Especially on these US roads, the extra strength would help last longer

I would choose Silk Roads over Cusco coilovers. I have Cusco's and they're okay. They're not as stiff as I want them to be. I will put them on a test at the next autocross and see how well they handle. Maybe I should've gotten JIC's instead.
Really? Even on the stiffest setting? What springs rates, 8f/5r?

·
Premium Member
'17 Impreza Sport, '15 OB 3.6R
9,806 Posts
If you aren't inverted, you won't be able to get a great Polaroid of your pilot giving the commie in the MiG the bird.

You know, the finger...?
My wife would love this thread, right about now. :blol: She can recite that movie...

As for the benefits of inverted struts, I remember a write-up from years ago, talking about the lateral rigidity/resiliency going up substantially, with this design.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts