Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1999 2.5RS STM
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Borla replica header and a Stromung hfc pipe. I am trying to find an exhaust that will give me good sound and performance, but not give too much interior resonance. We have a baby on the way and my wife kicked my old exhaust to the curb because it was way too loud inside the car. I really wanted a apex'i, but I think it will be really noisy inside. I like the Stromung too. Anyone have any advice?
Thanx,
-Shawn-

·
Banned
'04 RS PBP w/ Black Tarmacs
1,805 Posts
Anyone have any advice?
New wife.....

just kidding ;)

How about adding a resonator (or maybe two) to your existing exhaust. That will lower exhaust noise quite a bit. I have a Borla/Random Tech cat-pipe/ custom Magnaflow cat-back. It was really noisy at first with just one Magnaflow straight-thru muffler. I had the muffler shop add a Magnaflow 4" round straight thru (see pic) as a resonator and it worked great.

Other than that I don't know of any bolt-on exhausts that are quiet. If you had too you could go custom cat-back and use a chambered muffler from Magnaflow or something. Straight-through mufflers flow better but are louder. Chambered mufflers lose some flow, but there also quieter.

Good Luck!

P.S. even though I have added a resonator my exhaust is still kinda loud when throttle demand is high. I think another one would quiet it alot more, but I just didn't want the droning at highway speeds so as it is now for me it's fine.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've actually heard a few parents say that their babies like the resonance and have no problem sleeping through it, but I can't confirm that. I'd throw in a resonator like sal said and maybe put down some cheap sound deadening material off ebay if that isn't enough and you don't mind your car gaining a bit of weight.

·
Registered
95 GC 371hp/355tq ej25 1.5xtr
4,494 Posts
i think the STI muffler is pretty quite. and add a nice resonator in the midpipe to cut out on some of the raspyness

·
Registered
137 Posts
if you're really want to impress your friends I think you should just take off the interior parts and put sound blocking material under inside it's going to be really quiet but on the outside it's going to sound nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts