Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1999 2.5RS STM
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Borla replica header and a Stromung hfc pipe. I am trying to find an exhaust that will give me good sound and performance, but not give too much interior resonance. We have a baby on the way and my wife kicked my old exhaust to the curb because it was way too loud inside the car. I really wanted a apex'i, but I think it will be really noisy inside. I like the Stromung too. Anyone have any advice?
Thanx,
-Shawn-

· Banned
'04 RS PBP w/ Black Tarmacs
2,225 Posts
Anyone have any advice?
New wife.....

just kidding ;)

How about adding a resonator (or maybe two) to your existing exhaust. That will lower exhaust noise quite a bit. I have a Borla/Random Tech cat-pipe/ custom Magnaflow cat-back. It was really noisy at first with just one Magnaflow straight-thru muffler. I had the muffler shop add a Magnaflow 4" round straight thru (see pic) as a resonator and it worked great.

Other than that I don't know of any bolt-on exhausts that are quiet. If you had too you could go custom cat-back and use a chambered muffler from Magnaflow or something. Straight-through mufflers flow better but are louder. Chambered mufflers lose some flow, but there also quieter.

Good Luck!

P.S. even though I have added a resonator my exhaust is still kinda loud when throttle demand is high. I think another one would quiet it alot more, but I just didn't want the droning at highway speeds so as it is now for me it's fine.

· Registered
233 Posts
I've actually heard a few parents say that their babies like the resonance and have no problem sleeping through it, but I can't confirm that. I'd throw in a resonator like sal said and maybe put down some cheap sound deadening material off ebay if that isn't enough and you don't mind your car gaining a bit of weight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.