Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1998 GC8 Import
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi i have a jap import wrx sti gc8 v4 and it has been off the road for 3-4 months but moisture had got into the car and mould started forming so now im getting it ready to put back on the road as im missing it too much.

So i had cleaned all the mould off and wanted to run the car with the heaters on full to dry it out but after about 40 minutes on full heat/power it just stopped blowing?????? I have checked all the fuses and they seem fine... so now i have no idea what it could be. could the fan just stop working for no reason? maybe got to hot?

Any suggestions would be great?

Thanks

·
Registered
'00 RS EG33, '05 STI, '92 SVX
135 Posts
Try the blower fan resistor, also known as the fan speed control, mounted to the side of the box that mount the a/c evap core.

If the fan blows on high but none other, chances are that's not the problem, but it's worth a shot.

Also get out your multimeter and check for power/ground at the blower motor itself. You might have just found a soft spot within the the brushpack or commutator.

Finally trace powers and ground back to the switch.

·
Registered
1998 GC8 Import
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
go get a cheap blower motor or have someone with the same motor come over and swap it s=to see if it works. Takes like 2 mins to pull it out
How do you take the blower motor out? any diagrams?

I have stripped most things as im rewiring a lot of stuff anyway so might aswell do this a swell!

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 WRX
2,350 Posts
I had this happen and the fan relay stopped working, cutting power the fan completely. If you check for a 12v signal at the fan plug with the fan speed control turned on, you can tell if it's a problem with power supply or the fan itself.

The fan relay is located above the in cabin fuse box in the footwell. The relays are a pain to get at since they're tucked up under the dash.

·
Registered
1998 GC8 Import
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had this happen and the fan relay stopped working, cutting power the fan completely. If you check for a 12v signal at the fan plug with the fan speed control turned on, you can tell if it's a problem with power supply or the fan itself.

The fan relay is located above the in cabin fuse box in the footwell. The relays are a pain to get at since they're tucked up under the dash.
Will try that tomorrow than hopefully its the fan or the relay as the heater matrix is ridiculas to replace.

Thanks for your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.