Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a top mount spearco intercooler, it came with the Ludespeed turbo kit that i purchased. It is such a big intercooler (which is a good thing), but it rattles at certain levels of RPMs. I tried putting padding behind it, under it, on top of it, around it. I used a lot of different type of material to stuff in there so it would stop the rattle but nothing seems to work.

I am afraid that it might be rubbing too hard on something and might puncture the intercooler somehow, what is the best solution to cause the intercooler to stop rattling?

Anyone that has had this problem before, please help me out with some better ideas than shuving in some padding material behind it, cause it didn't seem to work. Thank you.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Are you sure its your intercooler? If you have had this much trouble getting it too stop rattling, then I would skeptical of it being the problem. If it is, and you have no other means of stopping the rattling, then pick up some STi engine mounts. This will reduce greatly the amount your engine flexes, thus causing your intercooler to stop hitting the firewall.

Does your IC even touch the firewall?

Graham

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, it's the intercooler, I finally just rigged the shit out of it with these little sticky one sided foamy things from home depot. It stopped for a while but now sometimes it will rattle very very quietly. Oh well, I'll just go get some more and put em there. Hehe

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had this damn problem too. It was two things. The charge pipe wat too long and the connector hose for the throttle body was too long. I had to cut them both down. Ithe intercooler was sitting up too high towards the rear and was banging on the flange where the stock weather stripping/seal was. When I cut down the hose and the charge pipe, it allowed more room for the intercooler to sneak under the lip alot more. Plus, I had to use some thick rubber weather strip to put along the top back edge of the tmic to make sure it didn't make the knocking sound you described. Also my friend, get the STi tranny and motor mounts. This will keep the motor from shifting so much and reduce the likelyhood of rattles and knocking of the tmic. Good luck...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So for sure you can cut those two things down without messin up anything? How much do the motor and tranny mounts cost, any idea? Also, for some weird reason, when it is cold outside and I just start to warm up the engine, when the RPM's are decreasing from reving the engine it makes a large deep rattle around 2000 2500 RPM's, but only when it's cold, once it is heated up, it doesn't do it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Scueby2.5,

Well the parts I cut and modified were not vital to the sytem and how it works. It's just plumbing. As for the cold to warm thing... It may just be parts swelling up and getting tighter in the engine bay. I had a rattle after I got the intercooler thing fixed and it turned out to be the air filter hitting the inside fender well. So, you just have to try and find it and get rid of it. Good luck...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts