Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Could someone tell me whether the new 1999+ RS gauge would fit into an older 1995 version? Would the ECU be compatible?
Have tried the search function but no help :(
Cheers:happynow:

·
Premium Member
95 Impreza L AWD
973 Posts
What gauge are you talking about? Do you mean the compass?

·
Premium Member
MY98 2.5RS Coupe Brilliant Red
880 Posts
If you're thinking about the gauge cluster (tach, speedo, temp and fuel), it will not work. The connections are different. My MY98 was different from other years. I believe the '99-01 had the same connections, but they changed it for them. Easiest way to tell is to get one of each, and take apart the dash real quick. I've done it a number of times, so I have it down to a science. Just follow the instructions found HERE for the STI6 dash swap and you'll be able to tell.

AJ

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sorry for the newbie q:

Is it possible to just ADD an aftermarket tach to a pre 96ImpL? Would a standalone unit like that hook up to sensors or to the ECU?

Getting very frustrated without a tach...
-C.D.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
You cant add the newer gauge cluster, since the speedo is mechanical on the 95 and electronic on the newer ones. You can transfer the tach, it's super easy. I added an aftermarket tach to mine, using the stock location. Look here(since appearantly I can't link from the other club):
http://members.nasioc.com/ViewMemberPics.cfm?MemberID=3182&PicNumber=1
All the connections are already behind the instrument cluster, you just have to make the connections. I carefully soldered mine, making sure not to burn through the plastic substrate of the circuit traces.

If you go with a OEM tach, you can simply bolt it in and it'll work. It should be just as accurate.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Thank you for the help. So you just chose any old aftermarket tach that fit the space well, and as you say, all the connections are already there, just nothing connected to them?

Which tach did you choose? And did you attach it to the bottom of the gauge plastic (dark part) or did you attach it INTO the clear plastic?? That is, stuck on in a sense?? If you could provide some more info on how you attached yours that would be much obliged.

Thank you again,
-C.D.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
I pretty much chose to get a SummitRacing tach with a shift light because it wasn't huge, and the light is a nice touch.
Caddy Daddy said:
Thank you for the help. So you just chose any old aftermarket tach that fit the space well, and as you say, all the connections are already there, just nothing connected to them?

Which tach did you choose? And did you attach it to the bottom of the gauge plastic (dark part) or did you attach it INTO the clear plastic?? That is, stuck on in a sense?? If you could provide some more info on how you attached yours that would be much obliged.

Thank you again,
-C.D.
Once I removed the cluster, and carefully removed the mylar circuit trace, I saw the connections for the tach on the circuit trace were already there and are secured by screws holding the tach in place. What I did was remove the tach movement from the housing while preserving the front bezel. Once that was done, I had to make a couple little holes to mount everything to the space where the OEM tach went. After that, I routed the signal and illumination wires from the tach through unused holes in the circuit trace and then went about wiring up the wires. I chose to solder the connections to the trace for a more robust connection and accurate signal. For illumination, I just wedged the wire in with a gauge bulb socket. All new screws got silicone padding over them and the circuit trace got reinstalled with little disturbance from stock.

Once everything was in place, I had to fabricate an opening in the stock tach delete cover to fill the space left over by my tach. Then I had to guesstimate the opening needed for the clear bezel to go over the tach front bezel. A little cutting, grinding and sanding later, I had a somewhat uniform opening around the tach. I was pleasantly surprised that the signal was rock solid and according to service manuals for idle readings, spot on. Illumination is as good as the tach had to begin with, though Summit now sells indiglo versions of what appears to be the same tach I have. The only issue I have is my airbag light is partially obscured by the placement of the tach. No big deal to me, since it's just a reminder to get it out of there eventually when the car becomes more track than street.....Careful placement of the tach can eliminate this minor flaw.

Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts