Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
:lol: well, more proof that G-Tech (or is it i-club?) is full of shit. 20 lb ft and 15 hp increase. wow. mine didn't do that. and that's to the wheels no less :roflmao: when i took mine off, it sounded better, that was it. now, with a K&N filter and catback exhaust, it might bring an extra hp to the top end.

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Sil
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
10th Warrior said:
:lol: well, more proof that G-Tech (or is it i-club?) is full of shit. 20 lb ft and 15 hp increase. wow. mine didn't do that. and that's to the wheels no less :roflmao: when i took mine off, it sounded better, that was it. now, with a K&N filter and catback exhaust, it might bring an extra hp to the top end.
Just wondering on your "mine didn't do that" . . . how did you measure it?

Personally I couldn't tell a difference in the sounds. If there is any difference, I would say it is quieter without the silencer.

It might be true that the G-Tech is full of shit, but butt dynos are even more full of shit. Consider that everyone's butt dyno's sensitivity may be different. No offense. :cool:

Chieh
--
Chieh's Web - http://Chieh.CameraHacker.com/

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
you're absolutely right about butt dynos, but they are usually exaggeratedly high because people want to justify the time and money spent on the car. but since it didn't cost me any money (or much time for that matter) to remove the silencer, i'm not as biased ;) but seriously, i noticed no difference what-so-ever when i removed it, and i must say that most people don't claim much of an increase. and 20lbft of torque or 15hp to the wheels is something you'd notice. for example, there is a guy here that has I/E/H and a fuel computer, which is probably worth at least that much, and he blows me away everytime. even now that i have a K&N filter and a catback exhaust, he still blows me away, but not by as much :) i could certainly "feel" a gain on the top end with the exhaust, and there was a definite gain from the filter too, though i suspect that had more to do with replacing the completely, and i mean completely, disgustingly dirty stock filter.

i appreciate all the work you put into trying to get hard numbers for this, but i think you're measurement device was somewhat inaccurate.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
oh, also, when i race at a divisional level auto-x, i reinstall the silencer lest i get protested for modifying my intake, and i notice no difference in performance (other then auditory) either on course or on the way to/from the event. while this doesn't mean that there is no performance gain from it, it means that the gain is too small to notice (e.g. <5hp)

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Sil
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is a much better reply than the one earlier. I don't disagree with what you are saying here.

Chieh

10th Warrior said:
you're absolutely right about butt dynos, but they are usually exaggeratedly high because people want to justify the time and money spent on the car. but since it didn't cost me any money (or much time for that matter) to remove the silencer, i'm not as biased ;) but seriously, i noticed no difference what-so-ever when i removed it, and i must say that most people don't claim much of an increase. and 20lbft of torque or 15hp to the wheels is something you'd notice. for example, there is a guy here that has I/E/H and a fuel computer, which is probably worth at least that much, and he blows me away everytime. even now that i have a K&N filter and a catback exhaust, he still blows me away, but not by as much :) i could certainly "feel" a gain on the top end with the exhaust, and there was a definite gain from the filter too, though i suspect that had more to do with replacing the completely, and i mean completely, disgustingly dirty stock filter.

i appreciate all the work you put into trying to get hard numbers for this, but i think you're measurement device was somewhat inaccurate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts