Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 impreza 2.5, i put an open air filter w/a maf adapter on the end of the intake tube... However, i also took the filter out of the top box that comes off the throttle body.. Well , needless to say it wouldn't start..so i figured out that it needed the seal of that filter to seal the box up..so i modified the filter and cut out all of the paper of the seal.. now the car idles really rough, and dies out.. HELP please.:confused:

·
Registered
410 Posts
There is a gasket available that fits in that location for cars that didn't come with a filter there. It's pretty much like the rubber surround of the filter but has "braces" to keep the rubber edges from being "sucked in" and thus creating vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just cut out the paper elements on my 2nd filter too. And had the same problem after I was done. My problem was that the airbox wasn't closed all the way and properly fastened, and I had an air leak through the box. Take apart the box, and reinstall the "gasket" and make sure the box clicks back together securely. BTW, I don't know if you've already cut out all the elements, but I left a few strips in the middle to allow for some support for the rubber so it wouldn't collapse. Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, i kinda temporarily fixed my intake problem...i went to try and find a new filter today; however noone seems to carry this filter... they only have the smaller filter listed in their parts listings...also, when changing the spark plugs on these beastly box fours; do you have to remove the washer fluid container on the driver's side?

·
Registered
140 Posts
A Subaru dealer should offer the second filter and/or gasket. I think that half-way through the production year, they stopped installing a filter in the box, and just went with the gasket. You can find them online too for around $50.

Yes, you have to remove the reservoir to change the plugs. It's a pain in the rear. Scoobymods.com should have instructions on changing plugs.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
You don't have to disconnect the hose to the resovoir, just unbolt it and sit it somewhere out of the way. You should get yourself some extensions and swivels to go with your spark plug socket too.;)

·
Registered
410 Posts
stiscooby99 said:
noone seems to carry this filter... they only have the smaller filter listed in their parts listings...
If you are looking up a 99 2.5RS, then I can see how they might only list the first filter (only some cars had the second filter), however the 2nd filter is identical to the ONLY filter the 2000-2001 2.5RS uses. So if you lookup a 2000 or 2001 2.5RS, you should be able to get the right part.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts