Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all i have a 1998 2.5RS Coupe. I am looking for:
A short ram intake that incorportates my maf without cutting or mod-ing. I have found one or so that are knock offs and dont pass emissions for PA. I have done alot of looking too. or a way to use my "false" hood scoop without it getting water in it like most of peoples homemade ones do.
I also am looking for a company that makes a full carpet replacement for my interior and also looking for the replacement door sills because i was told they are discontinued by subaru.
finally i know my car stock cant keep up with an sti but i want to try to get close on a budget without swapping engines and doing it on a budget because the car has 167k miles on it. im looking to at least improve accelaration. I know that even with a wrx its hard to get an sti. but lets be honest the RS is much more fun to drive.
thank you all.

·
Premium Member
06 Lexus Rx400h
1,661 Posts
to accel.. look into clutch / short shift.. will help alot.. as far as floor carpet.. i dunno about that.. you can try other model subys.. it is close to the same in the front and you can cut down the back to fit as well.. try that option..

also im from pa and i feel your pain their lol.. g/l with that.. would'nt go hood scoop way either.. never hurd good things from it..

·
Registered
2005 2.5rs Dark Blue
102 Posts
try injen for CAI... Better power than a SRI. Plus, with the injen, you can do SRI if you want by not putting in the second half of the pipe that goes into the fender. And if you're worried about sucking up water, get a hydroshield for the filter and don't drive through puddles. I don't get how any intake wouldn't pass emissions, but I don't have to deal with emissions in my county. I'll go ahead and say that you'll never keep up with an sti, maybe with a 2.0 wrx with a lot of mods. I also don't know about the carpet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
good idea. but bigrobwoot here is the install directions for the injen CAI. look where it mounts....there would be no way to just attach the filter. not only that but its a little pricey. any other ideas? anyone else have any ideas for effective but slightly cheap mods.

·
Registered
1999 Rally Bluuuuuu
1,361 Posts

·
The Thread Stopper
11 WRX, Matte black
5,783 Posts
You could do just all the bolt-ons made for your RS, but you won't come close to a WRX, let alone a STi. Even w/ cams and a reflash you'd be short of both.

The gravelsports intake is the only one that worked well for the scoop, and it isn't phased by water.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey lorenzo i will think about ur items but my question for you is did u put the blue sti carpet into ur RS? if so where did u get it at. because i was looking to do blue inside. do you have the site where u got it from.

·
Registered
1999 Rally Bluuuuuu
1,361 Posts
I did put the blue STI carpet in my car and I got it from a private party. It was a guy on Nasioc and I paid somewhere around $100 for it. Overall, it turned out well but there were a few gaps that I filled in with some indoor-outdoor carpet from Home Depot. If you send me your email address I can take some pics later this week and show you how it turned out...

·
Registered
2005 2.5rs Dark Blue
102 Posts
good idea. but bigrobwoot here is the install directions for the injen CAI. look where it mounts....there would be no way to just attach the filter. not only that but its a little pricey. any other ideas? anyone else have any ideas for effective but slightly cheap mods.
Well I guess I just kinda assumed my layout applied to every CAI Injen makes. But you know what happens when you assume... And if you really just want a sri and not a CAI then the Injen would be very cost inefficient. I just used it as a sri while I waited for the hydroshield to protect the filter from water. Sorry for the poor advice

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I guess I just kinda assumed my layout applied to every CAI Injen makes. But you know what happens when you assume... And if you really just want a sri and not a CAI then the Injen would be very cost inefficient. I just used it as a sri while I waited for the hydroshield to protect the filter from water. Sorry for the poor advice
sorry here is the directions...i realized i didnt post anything http://www.injen.com/galleries/products/RD1220_directions.pdf
take a look and tell me what you think.

hey italsupra my email is [email protected] please do send me the pictures....i would appreciate that. also did you do an intake?

·
Registered
2005 2.5rs Dark Blue
102 Posts
oh yeah you may be right about that. my maf sensor is about halfway in between the t body and the end of the first pipe, and the filter would go where your maf sensor goes. but like i said before, if all you want is short ram, then the injen really is a waste of money, because there are plenty of short rams on ebay and stuff arent there?

Boxer4Racing sells an maf adaptor so you can kind of build your own intake, or just put a cone filter on it and replace your stock airbox with it. its 19.99 for the adaptor at www.boxer4racing.com

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oh yeah you may be right about that. my maf sensor is about halfway in between the t body and the end of the first pipe, and the filter would go where your maf sensor goes. but like i said before, if all you want is short ram, then the injen really is a waste of money, because there are plenty of short rams on ebay and stuff arent there?

Boxer4Racing sells an maf adaptor so you can kind of build your own intake, or just put a cone filter on it and replace your stock airbox with it. its 19.99 for the adaptor at www.boxer4racing.com
yeah the thing is theres not any on ebay and the wepon r if u read the fine print is not emissions legal. so i cant use that. any other options?

·
Registered
2005 2.5rs Dark Blue
102 Posts
So you do want a SRI and not a CAI? Did you read the second half of my post? I don't know much about your car, but I looked around at a few sites (rallitek.com, boxer4racing.com, xcelleration.com) and told you what I found. Xcelleration has some options too, but they are way overpriced in my opinion. All depends on what you're willing to pay tho I guess

·
Registered
98 Red L 2.2L 5spd
343 Posts
you can do a custom intake from Weapon R. just need to send pictures to them and info and they can do it for you. its on their website.

·
Registered
2005 2.5rs Dark Blue
102 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it not being emissions legal. If you don't pass emissions, just take it off and take it back in and you'll pass... i dont know how your emissions work tho... and boxer4racing and xcceleration both have the adaptor to make your own, so you could cut up a cheap ebay one and make it fit... like manifold > pipe > maf adaptor > filter

·
Registered
1998 'Rally' Blue RS 2.5
61 Posts
I bought a CosmoRacing CAI for my 98. They also offer a short ram intake. Price is right and fit couldn't be easier...I was VERY surprised at how well the CAI fit perfectly into the fender cutout. I was afraid by the price that it would take some mods or fabrication but took none to get it to fit where it was supposed to be routed.. As far as assembly, no fabrication or mods there, either. remove everything from the intake box on the TB to the intake silencer inside the fender well and replace with the Cosmo Racing tubing, using the stock MAF and the cosmo adapter....

I have had mine on for a couple of months, now (I commute 300+ miles per week) and have had absolutely NO issues to complain about with it.

Hope that helps....Feel free to e-mail if you would like pics or if any questions.
[email protected]

Les
Moberly, Missouri

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
les....let me tell you, thank you so much. their short ram looks amazing. and looks like it incorporates the maf and its $90. simply nice. only question. u have pics to post up cuz it doesnt look like it mounts anywhere. like there is no piece to bolt on, looks like it just is suspended freely. did yours bolt down? also does this system boast as much in way of added hp. http://www.cosmoracing.com/productinfo.asp?cid=226&pid=1206

alan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts