Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· 13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
6,004 Posts
From what I understand, PVC out-gasses chlorine when it's heated, as it is by underhood temps. It's not good for the engine, but I'm not really sure how bad it is, either. James has a DIY PVC intake on his car, and he hasn't had any problems from it yet. But I would use ABS ove PVC, just to be on the safe side. One thing, though, I can't think of what PVC braided hose looks like or is. Could you explain or put up a pic?

· 13 Years of RS
2005 Toyota Corolla :(
6,004 Posts
Chlorine in a hottub, not a problem.
Chlorine gas in you intake charge, not good.
Chlorine is a corrosive gas, I believe.

A highly irritating, greenish-yellow gaseous halogen, capable of combining with nearly all other elements, produced principally by electrolysis of sodium chloride and used widely to purify water, as a disinfectant and bleaching agent, and in the manufacture of many important compounds including chloroform and carbon tetrachloride.
Once again, though, I will say i don't know how big a problem this is for an intake, but that all intake manufacureres, AFAIK, use either ABS or a metal, not PVC.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.