Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
01 impreza rs
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 800 watt ppi amp on my subs ...gain is at about half, and bass boost is at 6 out of a possible 16 db boost....i also have the factory guage pod that has the voltage guage on it......regularly the readin on it is down between 10 and 12V's with my stereo on, as in it sits in that area it doesnt just occasionally go that low.....on the occasion it goes down below 10......im getting new subs soon and plan on turnin the gain up....the amp supposively draws or needs around 140 or so amps of current which the stock alternator comes no where close to producing...plus i have H.V. fogs and headlights and an 80x4 amp on my mids......my lights dim really badly as is now and i cant seem to be able to find an aftermarket high current alternator....any ideas where i can find one or what would help me? i do not think that a cap will help since its a constant drain and the cap would just have a constant drain on it from the amp and would never be able to charge up therefore it would have nothing to discharge. Also what, if any, benefit would a better battery have?

·
Premium Member
Two Mini Coopers!
10,629 Posts
A cap will result in better clarity bass, so I'd recommend at least one.

The solution I had for a similar situation? Go to Sears and get a giant deep cycle battery and mount it in the trunk. That cured my problems. $80 or so, plus $20 for a battery box, then a little more for some power cables. I tried to run a battery isolater, but it died. So, I just ran both batteries in parallel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Um I don't think that your amp draws any where near 140 amps. That would be like a 1770 watt rating. It probably only draws 60 amps. But thats still a lot. A cap will help. A really good battery helps and then a high output alternator.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts