Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1999 RBP 2.5RS
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed when putting together the new struts and springs that I didn't really need to use a spring compressor. It seemed like the nut on top would fit just fine without compressing the springs.

Might I have done something wrong? Every DIY I've seen stresses the importance of spring compressors but I didn't see a use for them.

·
Registered
GM6
121 Posts
I only needed compressors to get the old assembly apart. I was installing 8" Ground Control (Eibach) springs though, so I believe they're a bit shorter than stock springs. The compressors are more important during take-apart because you don't want the assembly exploding toward anybody.

·
Registered
1999 RBP 2.5RS
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The old assembly didn't really explode out though. It just sort of spilled off the old strut.

·
Premium Member
overdeveloped beater
8,335 Posts
^^^ True.....although I wouldn't attempt it on something like an OBS or other model without the compressor to contain the spring. On the Impreza, there is very little tension on the spring when the strut is fully extended. For the reassembly, a second set of hands to work the impact (or hold the strut assembly down) is all that you need.

Again, I would stress that compressors should be used on any car that you're not completely sure about. Luckily, we've documented the subject pretty well over the years.

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
Impreza is just as storm said, not much tension so dont worry about it.

You did nothing wrong.

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts