Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be installing a gas tank on my 2k 2.5RS. It has a fuel cell in it now and the old tank is gone so I am installing one never having seen how it was supposed to be. I'm sure I will have ongoing questions but I am going to browse through the service manual and threads and figure out as much as I can.
My first question though is about the fuel pump sock. Is it replaceable? The one on the junk yard pump I got is ripped up pretty good. If it is replaceable where can I get one or is there an aftermarket/universal option?

The lines on the tank I got are also pretty torn up. Some of the hard lines are crimped partially closed and many of the soft lines are cut. If anyone has these laying around let me know.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza RS <Red>
1,197 Posts
As far as the sock goes, it is absolutely replaceable. I got a Bosch one from rockauto.com for like $6. The hard lines, however cannot be replaced aftermarket as they are dealer only as far as I know.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PM sent.

I am going into this totally blind. I have figured a lot out just by seeing where it's routed and where it makes sense but I think I still have some unaccounted lines. I am also not used to this complex a system. Gas tank, filler neck, breather, vent to charcoal canister isn't that all you need?. WTF is all this other stuff? Pressure sensors, switching valves, air filters. It's madness. Why do I need a fuel temp sensor?

I am all about keeping the basic functionality of the charcoal canister and evap stuff but is there anything in this pile of spaghetti I can ditch?

Does anyone have a good diagram of the fuel and evap system?
I bought one of those ebay FSM Cds and it has a ton of stuff on it but nothing like that I could find. A basic routing diagram would make a world of difference.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got everything buttoned up tonight. The new fuel system seems to have fixed the stuttering and bucking I was having so that is great news. Thanks Joshua for the parts. When I went to fill it up though I had to fill it really really slow otherwise it would sputter back up the fill pipe. I have a feeling I must have hooked the vent tube to the wrong line. Can anyone show me what line that vent needs to go to?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been through the manuals a couple times over and can't find anything helpful.

All the sections on working on the fuel system just say basic things like disconnect or reconnect vent hose they don't show it or tell you what hose that actually is.
The exploded views aren't any help either.
It would be really helpful if someone could snap some pics of the vent lines and evap system or somehow help me figure out what goes where.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After some research I realized the tank primarily vents through the canister. I disconnected the line from the tank going into it and it filled up fine so at least I know the problem is downstream of that.

·
Registered
MY00 //// BRP 2.5RS coupe
3,369 Posts
I will be tackling a 04 sti gas tank swap into my 00 rs.

If you need pics of how it should look like let me know which parts!

I'll try to take as many pics as possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.