Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I own a silver 2.5 rs and was wondering on what I needed to install a new deck to replace my default stereo? I know other cars need like dash kits or mounting kits, I was wondering if anyone knew which kit/mount i needed to buy? I don't even know if I'm using the correct terms, I'm kind of new to cars... Anyways, I was planning on installing Alpine type E's and was just wondering on how to approach installing the deck first.

·
RIP 08.24.2013
01 legacy L
8,015 Posts
Don't buy a stereo anything from fleabay.
I mean it's a risk you're welcome to take but not one that's recommended imo.

Check out the "Fit My Car" guide on Stomp Audio, I've used it a couple times over the years and it hasn't steered me wrong yet.

·
Registered
01 RS
901 Posts
All you need is an adapter harness, wire that to the new decks harness (you can either crimp it or solder it, if you solder it cover each individual soldered joint with heatshrink wrap) and plug it in. Im sure by the time I can get you more info from my computer that someone else will post. Also, not all ebay stuff is garbage. Check out onlinecarstereo.com and plug in your cars info and it will help you out

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
Double Din replacment or single?

If single you will need a Din pocket. If double then it should bolt right in.

Definately get the harness converter for your model car and your model radio. This will make it so you don't have to cut any stock wiring.

On that note... NEVER CUT YOUR STOCK WIRING! EVER! If you think you have to cut something, you are doing it wrong. Buy the appropriate connector and the stock plug will go right into it. Then soldier the harness adaptor to the new stereo wire harness and you will have a great connection that is easily reversable if you decide to sell your radio and upgrade or go back to stock when you sell the car.

·
Registered
09 Forester
656 Posts
Double Din replacment or single?

If single you will need a Din pocket. If double then it should bolt right in.

Definately get the harness converter for your model car and your model radio. This will make it so you don't have to cut any stock wiring.

On that note... NEVER CUT YOUR STOCK WIRING! EVER! If you think you have to cut something, you are doing it wrong. Buy the appropriate connector and the stock plug will go right into it. Then soldier the harness adaptor to the new stereo wire harness and you will have a great connection that is easily reversable if you decide to sell your radio and upgrade or go back to stock when you sell the car.
the guy that sold me my car had an alpine head unit in (just cd and radio..ended up selling it for $150 :D ) anyways he hacked up the stock wiring, so when i put my deck in, it was a BITCH everytime the crimp didnt work and i had to make the wire shorter...and shorter...and shorter.

P.S. Jurzeyfresh i absolutely love your sig :lol:

·
Modsterdomus
2000 STM RS Sedan 5spd
7,849 Posts
the guy that sold me my car had an alpine head unit in (just cd and radio..ended up selling it for $150 :D ) anyways he hacked up the stock wiring, so when i put my deck in, it was a BITCH everytime the crimp didnt work and i had to make the wire shorter...and shorter...and shorter.
I know this from experience as well. Bought a Jetta that was butchered.

Another benefit of using the proper harness. You can soldier outside of the car on a proper bench.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.