Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2001 GM6 Aspen White 5MT
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ugh just more problems when I don't need any.

To make a long story short I took my subaru out for a test drive after installing borla replicas using new bolts that came with. One bolt wasnt in properly because i did not lock the washer and it came flying out when i drove it ..... stripping the thread up in the block (forget about the bolt the bolt is fine).

I would appreciate any suggestions as the best way to go about fixing this, i am still driving my car because I have to....it just sounds BAD.

ps: another problem i noticed, i compared my old header studs to my new header bolts and the thread pattern does NOT match up, i am a little confused because the bolts went in so easily. if i have to take the headers off, will i have problems with the other holes if i have to reinstall the bolts again?

· Registered
2000 Impreza Sedan
1,283 Posts
um.... you should have searched before installing, every1 will tell you to use OEM bolts and gaskets, my guess is you'll need to take this a shop and have them retap the hole, but maybe some1 will chime in with a better solution

Rafal

· Registered
'06 LGT
9,912 Posts
Listen to the above poster, The heads are going to have to be re-tapped for the new bolts. Just make sure the new bolts are the correct thread pitch or you'll run into this same issue again.

· Registered
2000 Impreza Sedan
1,283 Posts
I say remove all bolt, have the shop tap a new hole for the OEM bolts/nuts and use those, much easier to work with and they hold a little better, the replica's are pretty good headers, however they lack in good hardware and gaskets so hopefully you used OEM gaskets as well...

Rafal

· Registered
'99 Hybrid RS Coupe
3,598 Posts
I installed cobb EL headers 2 days ago and slightly stripped out the threads on 2 of the 6 holes going into the heads. When I drop in my cams, I'll probaably have the holes retapped. For now I think it will hold.

I was so pissed at myself when I started stripping them out. Impatience FTL.

· Registered
99 Impreza 2.5RS Black
638 Posts
You may be able to get away with retapping, but it the holes are really fubar'd, you may want to go ahead and use Helicoils in there. With Helicoils, you drill out the hole to a larger diameter, tap it, then install the Helicoil which is essentially a coil of stainless steel threads that lock into the hole. You can get the Helicoils in the same size as the stock studs so you continue to use stock hardware once the Helicoils are installed. I've used them and they work great.

· Registered
2.5RS Rally Car
2,257 Posts
+1 for helicoils.

+1 billion for crappy hardware that came with borla reps. I took it and threw it away. I'm willing to bet that all of your threads are fubared now, because of the different thread :( It went in so easily because the head is aluminum, does not take much to strip at all.

I definitely feel your pain, I hate stripping/breaking hardware.

· Registered
06' Leg Spec B - No more RS :(
477 Posts
when i put my borlas on I striped the hell out of the nut while taking the oems out. just ground the prick off removed and replaced minus one bolt. Kinda lame I know. I was going to tap it.. but now i'm doing a swap soon so it can be someone elses hassle to tap a header stud not mine:D
That is if anyone even wants a tired old 150k motor

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.