Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seated the tranny, it is sitting flush on the engine. The problem; I cant put the clutch slave back on. The fork wont move back enough to have the clutch slave pin in while it is bolted in.
the Subaru has the 01 rs flywheel, clutch, fork, throwout bearing, and 99 obs tranny and diff.

what could be wrong here, is it possible I pushed the pilot bearing out and somehow seated the tranny without any space between tranny and engine?
I know I put the throwout bearing and fork together correctly, I repositioned the fork pivot point according to the RS tranny.
I don't want to remove the tranny again, that **** was a pain in the ass. but its eating away at me because this clutch slave is not clearing correctly... any help would be awesome.

·
Registered
R56 Cooper S
1,046 Posts
You could try just pushing in on the slave cylinder piston before you try to install it. That would give you clearance to get it situated before the piston presses up against the fork.

Like how you have to push in brake caliper pistons when you install new pads, to get them to clear the rotor.

·
Registered
2000 RS Coupe Silverthorn 5spd
565 Posts
I dont know if this will help, but when i put my slave cyl on, i pushed it against the fork compressing it and was able to get a bolt in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You could try just pushing in on the slave cylinder piston before you try to install it. That would give you clearance to get it situated before the piston presses up against the fork.

Like how you have to push in brake caliper pistons when you install new pads, to get them to clear the rotor.
I was trying to do that but the hydraulic pressure wouldn't let me. But I did solve it and found out why.
when I first removed the rs tranny I pressed on the clutch after I removed the slave. All I needed to do was disconnect it to release the pressure and clutch slave fit perfectly. Now I just have to bleed it and I should be good :):banana:
I was just fed up last night after messing and fighting to install the tranny by myself that something so easy felt like an impossible task.:bonk:

·
Registered
R56 Cooper S
1,046 Posts
Hah...sometimes it just takes a little bit of a breather, and then all becomes clear again.

When I was doing my swap, me and my brother were fighting for like 2 hours trying to get the engine and trans seated. We got fed up and took a break. When we came back to it, it took us like 15 minutes to get it all in perfectly.

·
Registered
1997 Subaru Outback Sport
266 Posts
You do realize an OBS has a 3.90 ratio and an RS is a 4.11? Are changing the rear end too?
Sent from the Pleiades...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hah...sometimes it just takes a little bit of a breather, and then all becomes clear again.

When I was doing my swap, me and my brother were fighting for like 2 hours trying to get the engine and trans seated. We got fed up and took a break. When we came back to it, it took us like 15 minutes to get it all in perfectly.
a clear mind is definitely needed, a 6pack also doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

I figure I should post pics of the project. shes a work in progress and have just got a ej255t from 2011 wrx. about to do the swap and Iam waiting for the bc 2.7L stroker kit to arrive.
I will post a build pics from beginning to end once she is all done

1 - 9 of 9 Posts