Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my CEL came on, i scanned it was a p0141, which i was told is a bad rear oxygen sensor

now today the inside of my muffler rusted out and fell out, now all the "exhaust insulation" (looks like hair) has been coming out and clogging up the exhaust, it is a mess right now.

does this have anything to do with the CEL, I was gonna buy the sensor and change it myself but now im wondering if the exhaust could be the reason for CEL and Id much rather buy just that instead of both..

My biggest concern is alot this material has come out from the exhaust can I just buy a new muffler or am I gonna need to replace the whole exhaust system all the way back???

Any help is appreciated

·
Premium Member
96 Impreza Coupe
1,610 Posts
I would definitely start with replacing the muffler. You can have a muffler shop fab you one up with a generic muffler for an inexpensive price. As for how much you need to replace it depends on how damaged the rest is.

·
Registered
98 Red OBS
268 Posts
To answer your questions, no the muffler has nothing to do with the code. I would be more concerned about the cat's being rusted out as well. Replace the o2 sensor and clear the code. if it comes back on it's your cat's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts