Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Wedges' Biggest Fan!
2000, subaru, 2.5 rs impreza,
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at going with the Hydra EM, the tunnning is awsome (from what I hear) but the cost is kicking my ass. $1500 for a plug and play set up and it comes with a pretty badass base map. The Hydra just has tones of options that would probably work the best for me. The only problem I am having is the cost.

I have been debating on going with the Emanage Ultamite. I just dont know what Engine Managment would be best bang for the buck.

I have read that the AEM FIC is a PITA to work with.. From reading about it on the forums here.

I believe in spending what it takes to make sure my engine is safe, to an extent.

I currently have these parts for my turbo set up.

STi rods and pistons - $400 shipped. Kicking myself because I found a vendor on nasioc who sells a whole STi bottom end rebuild kit for $499! Thats pistons, rods, rings, and bearings!
Phil at Hydra told me to go with 800cc injectors. (is that too big?) I was looking at Deastchwerks 600cc injectors.
stock rs heads.
Turbo is either a VF34 or a MHI 18g. - cost is the issue here
4" bellmouth to a 3" DP
UEQL STi exhuast manifold with a up pipe heat rapped for $300 :)
Stage 3 clutch
FMIC kit
Walbro 255
Turbo X member

I am just torn on the Turbo and the Engine Managment.

I have $3800 left for the parts
I also need to buy some struts and springs.

HELP PLEASE!!

-Doug

·
Registered
'00 RS w/ 05 STi swap
436 Posts
i would go emanage ultimate. proven success and 1/3 the price of standalone. check out nasioc --> N/A w. aftermarket FI---> "emange installed" thread and you can read about how to dial in the emanage on the RS. There are also wiring diagrams posted here on these boards of how to wire it in, set the jumpers, and get the parameters all dialed in. IF you do go the way of emanage ultimate you will need the greddy pressure sensor to tune on since you will max out the stock map sensor voltage if you enter boost.

·
Wedges' Biggest Fan!
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i would go emanage ultimate. proven success and 1/3 the price of standalone. check out nasioc --> N/A w. aftermarket FI---> "emange installed" thread and you can read about how to dial in the emanage on the RS. There are also wiring diagrams posted here on these boards of how to wire it in, set the jumpers, and get the parameters all dialed in. IF you do go the way of emanage ultimate you will need the greddy pressure sensor to tune on since you will max out the stock map sensor voltage if you enter boost.
You are relatively close too. :) if I paid for your gas to come down and go back would you beable to come help me do the install on the EMU?

I am trying to Download the Hydra on my Vista and I cant get it to work. I posted what my errors were on nasioc and waiting to hear back.

I have been really thinking about the EMU. I have heard great success with it.

I AM TORN!?!?!?! :(

Plus you would beable to check out a BADASS RS-T.. My buddy who is helping me is shooting for 600HP on his RS. Look up his user name on here, Doodiehead.

If I go with the EMU I could get the MHI 18G :)

·
Registered
'00 RS w/ 05 STi swap
436 Posts
check out northursalia.com and look up under the wiring diagrams your stock pinouts. all you do is match the wiring from the emanage ultimate up to the ecu pinout and follow the directions. The timing on the RS is super easy because there are only 2 channels, which equates to a total of 4 wires to control timing, i didnt bother with teh cam angle/crank angle sensor because i used the RPM wire and it gives me my rpm no problem. wired up the knock sensor and IAT sensor and skipped the water temp sensor (although im hearing you need the water temp sensor to make auto tune work?????) i also have my AEM uego wideband connected to my EMU and it works great

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
i would go with hydra...its a LOT better than the EMU....but the EMU will get the job done...

as for the injectors...do the 800CC cause u can buy modded wrx blues for under 200$....

and btw if you're going hydra you're going to want to get the wideband o2 kit...so it'll actualy be 1800$ when everything is said and done :(....

but at the end of the day u get what you pay for....you will definitely be able to get push the 18G a lot harder with a hydra than the EMU.....

if cost is a huge issue i would get the EMU for now and just be very conservative with boost and timing.....then when u have the money i'd upgrade to the hydra....

you may also want to look into the LINK systems...pretty good standalone and quite abit cheaper than the hydra

·
Wedges' Biggest Fan!
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i would go with hydra...its a LOT better than the EMU....but the EMU will get the job done...

as for the injectors...do the 800CC cause u can buy modded wrx blues for under 200$....

and btw if you're going hydra you're going to want to get the wideband o2 kit...so it'll actualy be 1800$ when everything is said and done :(....

but at the end of the day u get what you pay for....you will definitely be able to get push the 18G a lot harder with a hydra than the EMU.....

if cost is a huge issue i would get the EMU for now and just be very conservative with boost and timing.....then when u have the money i'd upgrade to the hydra....

you may also want to look into the LINK systems...pretty good standalone and quite abit cheaper than the hydra
I defenitley need a link where to find these. Nasioc?

Any links on the LINK? I have heard about it, just never read in detail about that or the Megasquirt. I know a couple people are running megaquirt... but they have swaps.

I dont by any means want to slack on EM but the EMU right now seems the best bang for the buck. and I will still have to buy a Wideband 02 controller with that correct?

·
Registered
'00 RS w/ 05 STi swap
436 Posts
its all about what your power goals are - if you are going big just save up and do it right the first time, im not building a 500+ awhp monster car so i used the EMU because its cheap and I can still get my tune just fine for my final goal of 300-350awhp daily driver with stock ej257 internals

·
Premium Member
2002 2.5 RS-T
2,960 Posts
its all about what your power goals are - if you are going big just save up and do it right the first time, im not building a 500+ awhp monster car so i used the EMU because its cheap and I can still get my tune just fine for my final goal of 300-350awhp daily driver with stock ej257 internals
well said.....

as for the link..i cant help u man....they're somewhat hard to find info on AFAIK.....maybe someone with a link ecu can chime in...but they seem to hide in the corner....i think the Link ecu makes you anti social lol

·
Wedges' Biggest Fan!
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is my goal as well.

Thats why I thought 600cc injectors would be perfect.

The EMU seems to be the best bang for the buck, I could still purchase a wideband controller as well for tunning and still not even be close to the hydra with a wideband controller. Brydon proved that the EMU is a good "piggy back" because he was running 30-35psi on it. I am almost a 100% sold on the EMU.

·
Registered
2001 Silver RS-T
482 Posts
If you can find an old link+ that would be best for you. It's pretty easy to tune much like the hydra but with less stuff. You can probably get one for 6-700. As far as you issue with the hydra and vista you won't have a problem. Try going into the configuration setting and turning off the auto-connect and see if it will load a map for you then. If your not actually trying to connect to a hydra that might be a problem when playing around with the software.

·
Registered
2001 Silver RS-T
482 Posts
Keep in mind you get what you pay for and when your in boost your tune is everything.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have the EMU and have been working with it the past couple of weeks. I found it a little confusing , and complicated to understand to start - but after some time of playing around with it i got the hang of it.

I did a lot of reading and talking to people. ...... The internet and forums are your best friend ! lol

·
Wedges' Biggest Fan!
3,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have the EMU and have been working with it the past couple of weeks. I found it a little confusing , and complicated to understand to start - but after some time of playing around with it i got the hang of it.

I did a lot of reading and talking to people. ...... The internet and forums are your best friend ! lol
Are you happy with your choice on the EMU? Would you have bought any other Engine Managment?

·
Meany Head
2000 RSC
10,236 Posts
If you can find an old link+ that would be best for you.
Correct me if I"m wrong here. but doesn't the Link and the Link+ lack closed loop ability? I was under the impression that it only uses a narrow band o2 sensor to watch only for extreme out-of-wackness. Or is it just that it lacks any sort of Auto Tune?

·
Registered
'00 RS w/ 05 STi swap
436 Posts
here is a thread from nasioc that is a good read: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1458449
It has some tuning tips and success getting it dialed in on an older maf based rs, but the map based rs would be very similar process. also has some wiring diagrams and such. I used some of his methods to get mine tuned so i can drive mine, but i still have lots of tuning to do.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts