Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a new car and ultimately the decision has come down to getting a 2.5 RS. I was directed to this forum by my fellow fourm members over at lancerforums.com. I'm a relative noob to the 2.5RS scene, however I do know my fair share about cars in general.

My parents are requireing that the car I get has AWD. So this limits me to a few cars. I also have MAX to spend of $20K. I've looked at used Audi Quattros and Passat 4-motions, however my parents are also requiring that there be less than 40K miles on the car, so I'm pretty much set on either a new or a used 2.5 RS.

I was wondering what experiences people have had with the 2.5 RS and what year would be the best to look for if I don't buy a new one. Any information on this car would be great, as I don't know much about Scubies. Anyways, thank you for your help.

PS...I'm not some rich little kid who's mommy and daddy are buying me a car. Don't flame me for that. I'm 20, up to my neck in college loans, but I need a car, so they are helping me pay for it...due to the fact that I'm paying $40K a year for college.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza 2.5 RSTi
324 Posts
So since you got 20k to spend on an RS might as well get as new as ya can. However i would get a used RS in the older body style. SInce u got 20k i would look for either a 2000 or 2001 RS because they have the rear lsd. Also it doesn;t have an MAF that might cause u future problems down the line.

Good luck with your search

·
Registered
99 2.5 RS-T
838 Posts
Speed, search this forum as well as http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/ and http://www.i-club.com/forums but generally you want to look for a low milage, well cared for car. Each MY has its own quirks, 98s have weak head gaskets and internals, 99s had a weak MAF (replaced under recall) both 98/99 have 9.7:1 compression which makes them preferable for aftermarket forced induction. MY00+ switched to a MAP sensor and has a more finicky computer which responds very poorly to piggyback fuel controllers, they have 10.0:1 compression which makes them less boost friendly. Suspension/drivetrain/etc are the same except MY00+ gets a LSD rear diff and MY02+ weigh substantially more than previous model years. MY98 has a different front end and interior which makes finding body/interior parts a little more difficult and MY01+ get more options standard. Hope this helps your search.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much for all that information. It really helps. It looks like I'll be going for the 2000-01 year, not really concerned about the forced induction thing as I probably won't have the money to do that. Well, if anyone knows someone selling a 2000-01 let me know please. Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They are requiering AWD due to the fact that when I go up to Big Bear Mountains there are times when chains are required. They are smart enough to realize that I probably will be lazy and not want to get out and put on chains so I either will not go or I will say, "Oh it isn't that bad, I can make it without chains." They also want me to have the AWD for when it pours here and the roads are soaked. I'm not really going to complain about the AWD thing as I have always wanted AWD. Just too bad I don't have like $10K more, then I could go for an EVO/STI....

·
Audi Fondler
2000 Silverish 2.5rs Sedan
3,251 Posts
there's always some for sale on e-bay... and there's tons of car websites around... but always best to check your area first... even check subaru dealerships... a lot of them carry a decent used stock.

·
Registered
2021 Tacoma TRD Pro
4,230 Posts
Boy said:
Suspension/drivetrain/etc are the same except MY00+ gets a LSD rear diff and MY02+ weigh substantially more than previous model years.
To clarify MY00/01 has LSDs, MY02+ does not.

JC

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for all the help. I've been looking all over the web for 00-01's, seems like everywhere but the LA area has them for sale. Oh well, hopefully a few will pop up soon. Thanks again for all the info.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts