Subaru Impreza GC8 & RS Forum & Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the block of the new STi's 2.5L is the same as the older 2.5RS's?(Same motor mount locations/dimensions) i.e. would it be a straight bolt in deal to swap the engine/trans from the new WRX STi into an older 2.5RS without having to fabricate/relocate the mounts?

Love the looks of the older 2.5RSs but not thrilled about their power.

·
Vendor
'02 WRX +P
5,424 Posts
Wolf,
The 2.5L STi engine should bolt right into the older cars. For a swap like that though you may want to consider using a 2.0L WRX engine, it will be much cheaper and much easier to find, especially considering that the STi's haven't even hit our shores yet. Many parts between Subarus are interchangeable, kind of like adult Lego kits. :)

Another option would be to turbocharge the RS's EJ25 engine.

-Dave

·
Registered
139 Posts
turbo the ej25...

it is my understanding that the only "reliable" turbo kit available for the ej25 is the avo kit. that would only bring it to about 215 at the wheels i think. that's srt-4 range and i'd like to win against a neon.
i want to do the sti swap for it's wonderful new features including variable valve timing and dual overhead cams. that and i would have a turbo block to take to the next level without tearing the whole thing apart.
my question about this is, will i be able to get this motor and the 6-speed tranny in a GC8?

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
will i be able to get this motor and the 6-speed tranny in a GC8?
i believe it's been done already. the tranny needs minor body mod to be able to fit. i remember seeing the motor with tranny for about $10,000. with that price, i rather do other stuff.

·
Registered
65 Posts
a little off topic but i saw the 2004 STI at the chicago auto show the other day and i think this smily sums up the looks of this car:eek:

·
Registered
139 Posts
a turbo kit alone costs over 4k. add engine work at about 2k (since we're looking at quite a bit of power) and the sti 6 speed was about 6k if i remember correctly. if saving 2 grand and possibly getting a better setup is a bad idea, please tell me what you would do instead. engine and tranny related only that would remain drivable in traffic.
i know i could do other things but, i'm thinking of ways that would give me that kind of power and do it without spending more than i need to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Re: turbo the ej25...

zoinkssooby said:
it is my understanding that the only "reliable" turbo kit available for the ej25 is the avo kit. that would only bring it to about 215 at the wheels i think. that's srt-4 range and i'd like to win against a neon.
Yeah, I've never been a fan of turboing non-turbo engines if a factory turbo option is available. 215 at the wheels wouldn't be bad, but after driving my car with 200hp for a couple years, I think 300 to the wheels would be a bit more "fun". ;)

What's the stock psi for the WRX (and STi if anyone knows), and how much can the block/fuel system handle before needing other upgrades?

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
zoinkssooby said:
a turbo kit alone costs over 4k. add engine work at about 2k (since we're looking at quite a bit of power) and the sti 6 speed was about 6k if i remember correctly. if saving 2 grand and possibly getting a better setup is a bad idea, please tell me what you would do instead. engine and tranny related only that would remain drivable in traffic.
i know i could do other things but, i'm thinking of ways that would give me that kind of power and do it without spending more than i need to.
for 10k, i would rather get a 2nd car. maybe a 240SX and then a SR20DET. suspension mods, and good tires. and btw, it'll be a pain in the ass to make all the stuff work on a RS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
JZ oo7 said:
for 10k, i would rather get a 2nd car. maybe a 240SX and then a SR20DET. suspension mods, and good tires.
But not smog legal.

·
Registered
26,087 Posts
Wolf said:
But not smog legal.
smog? there are lots of cars out there that aren't smog legal.

·
Registered
144 Posts
But no one's answered the part of the first question I was wondering about...

What is the engine code on the STi 2.5??? Is it the EJ25 block just done up nicer and stronger??? Or is it another block entirely???

·
Registered
139 Posts
i'm not sure if it's a new block or not. i doubt it though (maybe a few tweaks but no severe differences). i don't think we'll get the engine code until it becomes closer to time for it to be released. maybe out already in japan?
IIRC the US WRX runs 13psi stock, unfamiliar with the sti though.
as to buying another car, no, no and, no. i don't want another car beings as how i just bought this one less than a month ago (good point though). it shouldn't be too hard (i hope) to get the sti setup to work since it should be much eaiser to get the parts to make it work. remember, these things will be available domesticly now instead of "import only".
i hope im not blowin all this out my azz :D

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
maybe out already in japan?
they don't have the ej25 in japan. there are very high taxes on cars with engines over 2.0L. the JDM STi has the ej20.

i imagine, though don't know for sure, that the block will be very similar. however, all the internals will be different. i know the STi ej20 has 80% different parts then the standard WRX unit. the STi 2.5L recieved all the same treatment as the 2.OL. sodium filled exhaust valves, variable valve timing, forged pistons, oil squirters on those pistons, etc. the block my have been changed to incorportate the oil squirters.

as for fitment in the GC chassis, it will go in. the question is will it bolt right in or, more likely IMO, will it require some loving, especially in the crossmember area like the WRX motor, to fit.

stock WRX runs 14.5psi. STi specs haven't been releashed but the US spec EVO runs 19psi.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts